1423RE: [beemonitoring] Imidocloprid and Pollinators - Short and Long-term Potential Impacts

  • Cane, Jim
    Mar 21 8:43 AM

      Sam and others- this seems to me to be a well-reasoned, objective article for a systemic insecticide whose convincing yet contradictory evidence for impacts on bees multiplies like rabbits.  For arborists, I agree, avoid its use wherever possible on flowering trees used by bees (when speaking to the pesticide certification workshops here in northern Utah, for instance, I advise against use on redbuds, willows and basswoods).   I keep trying to come to a resolution in my own mind about use of these neonicotinoids in agriculture.  Yet at posters and talks at meetings, and conversations with presenters, I keep finding conflicting yet persuasive evidence from capable scientists, most recently at the International Pollination Workshop at Penn State University and at the national Entomology meetings in San Diego.  One can hope that explanations for the contradictions are more than idiosyncratic combinations of application method, crop, climate and soil.  If any capable toxicologists see patterns, we should all be interested, especially for cases where these compounds would be displacing insecticides known to be lethal to bees.  When are they safer than current practices, when aren’t they?

      Yours

      jim

      James H. Cane

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic