1393Announcement: A non-profit is now selling unpainted and painted bee bowls

    Mar 2, 2011

      Spring is here and that means time to start putting out bowl traps.  In the past many of you have had problems obtaining the standard 3.25 ounce white bowls and florescent paints as recommended in the Handy Bee Manual.  Well, I am happy to announce that you can now purchase both unpainted white 3.25 ounce white solo bowls and pre-painted (2 coats) florescent yellow and florescent blue (Guerra pigments as formulated in the Handy Bee Manual) bowls from New Horizons Supported Services.  New Horizons is a non-profit devoted to empowering and supporting people with disabilities and we have been working with them over the past month to help them set up a bee bowl painting operation and they are ready and already have begun shipping out bowls to researchers and students of bees.

      You can contact them directly through Cynthia Swift-King (Email: cking@...,
      Tel: 301 249 0206,  Fax: 301 249 4512).

      Currents rates are

      $0.05 per bowl for unpainted bowls

      $0.19 per bowl for painted bowls

      Shipping costs are separate, with USPS, FedEx, and UPS options all available to all parts of the world.

      Bowls usually ship out the next working day after receiving the order or they will let you know if their inventory is low.

      They are also willing to paint other types of bowls or traps.

      My interns and I have enjoyed working with the bowl painters at New Horizons who are exited to have something new in their current job line up and are also very intrigued by what bee people do with all these colored bowls they are painting.....

      Each Small Gleam Was a Voice

      Each small gleam was a voice,
      A lantern voice --
      In little songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.
      A chorus of colours came over the water;
      The wondrous leaf-shadow no longer wavered,
      No pines crooned on the hills,
      The blue night was elsewhere a silence,
      When the chorus of colours came over the water,
      Little songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.

      Small glowing pebbles
      Thrown on the dark plane of evening
      Sing good ballads of God
      And eternity, with soul's rest.
      Little priests, little holy fathers,
      None can doubt the truth of your hymning,
      When the marvellous chorus comes over the water,
      Songs of carmine, violet, green, gold.

      - Stephen Crane

      P Bees are not optional.