1350BIML Species Level Bee Identification Course - April 2011 - Registration Information

    Feb 1, 2011

      We have established the date for the species level Bee ID workshop this year and after permitting people who had emailed me personally about their interest to sign up the beemontoring listserv gets the next crack at registration.  All classes have always filled so don't hesitate to get in touch with me as soon as possible so that we lock up a space for you.  At the end of the week I will send the announcement out to other listservs.

      As in the last few years the class will be at the beautiful USFWS National Conservation Training Center in West Virginia.  The official announcement follows.  We promise good weather and lots of spring bees!

      Sam/Rob/Alana

      Native Bee Identification, Ecology, Research and Monitoring

      Course Dates: April 11-15 , 2011
      Course Location: National Conservation Training Center, Shepherdstown, WV (http://training.fws.gov/)
      Course Leaders:  Rob Jean, Alana Taylor, Sam Droege
      Course Length: 5 days/36 hours

      Course Description:
      The primary goal of this course is to provide participants the tools necessary to identify bees to species.  To do that instructor ratios will be kept at 1 instructor to 8 participants.  We will assume that students ALREADY have access to microscopes at their lab or home, will have read up on the basic literature on bee genera we have provided, and will have already PRACTICED keying out bees to the genus level.  We will emphasize learning to use online guides, how to identify tricky characters within groups such as Osmia, Lasioglossum, Andrena, Nomada and will be showing these characters to the class on projecting microscopes.  A large collection of Eastern North American bees will be available for your use; surplus specimens will be available free for your personal collection.

      In conjunction with learning identification skills there will be lectures on bee natural history, monitoring, and research techniques.  We will be going out in the field throughout the week to set traps and net bees so that participants can see the entire spectrum of field to microscope work.  We encourage participants to be bring a net, pins, and collection boxes and we will provide you with traps and processing equipment.  You are also encouraged to bring your own specimens with you and we can help with identification, as time permits.   You will need to bring a laptop, but microscopes and lights will be provided.

      Who Should Attend:  Federal, state, county and municipal agencies, private consulting firms, citizen volunteers, neighborhood associations, environmental organizations, and teachers, performing native pollinator assessments or monitoring programs; with a desire to improve their identification skills.

      How to apply: To register, email Sam Droege (sdroege@...).  First come, first serve

      Cost:  Tuition is waived for the first 5 FWS employees to register; for the remainder tuition is $250 U.S.  Food is available at the training center and lodging is available in nearby Shepherdstown and the surrounding area.

      Questions:  Please contact Sam Droege, sdroege@..., USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

      Note:  You will not find this in the NCTC course catalog as is it considered a special event rather than a USFWS course. Signing up is made only by contacting Sam Droege and payments will be made to the Polistes Foundation at the time of the course.

      All Green

      All green
      things
      are grateful