1184Re: [beemonitoring] RE: use of new Squash Bee Trap?

  • Sharon Muczynski
    Sep 3, 2010
      Bee Group,

      I too, have been concerned about unnecessary killing of bees. As a matter of fact I did my whole insect collection for Entomology last year with only found dead insects. Everyone in my class thought I was odd and eccentric to care so much about a handful of bugs. I think all life is precious and not to be wasted. It is nice to hear some similar sentiments. I do realize, however, that it is difficult- if not impossible- to identify many species by sight.

      Best,
      Sharon Muczynski LEED® AP
      Graduate Student in Conservation Ecology

      On Sep 3, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Cane, Jim wrote:

      Folks- I am curious (trying not to be appalled) as to why someone would want to kill Peponapis bees en masse with pan trapping?  What can’t be learned

      from surveying for them at the very flowers that are being used to bait them to pan traps?  Certainly there is a lot that can’t be learned

      from merely killing the bees through passive sampling.  Voucher specimens I can understand.  I could say more, but will

      reserve judgment, knowing that I often don’t see all the angles to an issue and would like to learn the justification in this case.

      Yours,

      Jim Cane

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic