      From: Vincent Tepedino <Vince.Tepedino@...>
      To: Jim Cane (USDA-ARS) <Jim.Cane@...>; "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, September 3, 2010 1:19:32 PM
      Subject: [beemonitoring] RE: use of new Squash Bee Trap?

      Thank you James for speaking up for squash bees.

      I too was put off by this “promising” new technique for sending Pepos and who knows what else to the pin-yard but after my mini-eruption a while back, over what seems to be mindless collecting, I’ve been silent due to lack of support (a bit but not much).  I suppose that’s because I’m getting old and senile and semi-mental over bees.  And then my good buddy and former boss (who shall remain unnamed unless he chooses to out himself) always gives me the hoary line about more bees being killed on car grills in a minute, etc., etc.  And I wonder, even if that’s true, how does it justify slaughtering more for questionable reasons.  To echo James’ question:  How does it?

      Vince Tepedino

      USDA ARS (retired)

      Bee Biology & Systematics Lab

      Dept of Biology

      Utah State University

      Logan UT 84322-5310

      vince.tepedino@...

      435-797-2559

      435-797-0461 (FAX)

      In a democracy, the delusion that would elsewhere be poured into the ears of the prince, is poured into the those of the people (James Fenimore Cooper)