1174Re: [beemonitoring] Lasioglossum zonulum

  • John S. Ascher
    Sep 2, 2010
      Hi Rob,

      L. zonulum and L. leucozonium belong to the palearctic leucozonium species
      group of Lasioglossum sensu stricto as demonstrated by the morphological
      phylogeny of Ron McGinley, and later by DNA phylogenies such as that of
      Danforth and Ji, 2001
      [http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/2/268.full.pdf%5d. See also the
      European literature by authors such as Ebmer (e.g., 1987). Unlike
      naturally holarctic species such as L. rufitarse, both L. zonulum and L.
      leucozonium are absent from Alaska, the Yukon, and NWT (see maps in
      McGinley, 1986). This evidence, rather than any population genetic data,
      was the original basis for my hypothesis, published in Bees of the Black
      Rock Forest Preserve, New York (Hymenoptera: Apoidea) (Giles, V., and J.
      S. Ascher. 2006. Journal of Hymenoptera Research 15(2): 208-231), that
      these two species are introduced from Europe rather than native to North
      America. This paper was also the source of the hypothesis, as yet not
      adequately tested, that Megachile centuncularis may also have been
      introduced to North America long ago.

      In the same year, Zayed (2006)
      [http://www.amrozayed.com/MEN%20Zayed%202006.pdf%5d reported on
      microsatellite loci of Lasioglossum leucozonium without mentioning
      anything about it being introduced to North America.

      A later Zayed et al paper in PLoS ONE (2007)
      [http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0000868%5d
      entitled "Successful Biological Invasion despite a Severe Genetic Load"
      provided additional evidence that Lasioglossum leucozonium was introduced.
      This paper cited Giles and Ascher (2006) as the first citation of its
      status as an introduced species: "Until recently, this bee was commonly
      considered native to NA [15]".

      To my knowledge no population genenetic work on L. zonulum has been
      published yet, but DNA sequences in Genbank (which include those from
      Bryan Danforth's phylogenetic studies [e.g., AF264846 from France,
      AF264847 from NY, published in Danforth and Ji, 2001, and now perhaps
      others) and barcodes in BOLD may be informative.

      The list of North American Introduced bee species in the Handy Bee Manual
      and in all published sources is now significantly incomplete for various
      reasons, most notably the fact that we keep finding new records of
      introduced species faster than we can publish them.

      John

      > Hello all,
      > I have been working on The bees of Indiana (almost finished) and I was
      wondering
      > if anyone had any information on whether Lasioglossum zonulum was an
      introduced
      > species or simply holarctic. Wolf and Ascher list it as introduced in
      the
      > bees
      > of Wisconsin but I have seen no literature otherwise that would confirm
      this and
      > it does not appear on the list of North American Introduced bee species
      list in
      > the Handy Bee Manual. I have seen the Zayed et al paper on Lasioglossum
      leucozonium using DNA evidence but was hoping someone might know about
      L.

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager