1053Re: [beemonitoring] Adobe/Bank nesting bees and building nests for such

  • Eric Mader
    Apr 15, 2010

      Interesting topic, Sam!

      I was talking with Matthew Shepherd here in the office and we had one thought to add to this discussion.

      What do folks think is the potential for these structures to become a population sink in their local landscape as they age and potentially become infested with chalkbrood spores and pollen mites?

      I know from my days managing alfalfa leafcutter bees that parasites and diseases build up incredibly fast any time nesting substrates are repeatedly re-used by solitary bees.

      On the one hand I think a certain level of pathogens and nest parasitism can be interesting from an educational standpoint, and can really engage people in the complexities of bee life. On the other hand, I have seen old nest blocks that are so contaminated that no new eggs deposited in them survive. Such a scenario seems likely to discourage rather than engage the general public if these types of walls are on formal display.

      For large scale leafcutter and mason beekeeping most people have moved to loose-cell management or elaborate nest phase out systems to maintain bee health. With fixed substrates, arranged in these beautiful and artistic configurations, that seems like a challenge.

      Anyone have thoughts on this?

      Cheers!

      -Eric

      On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Sam Droege <sdroege@...> wrote:

      All:

      Today, Shelley Small passed on the following link regarding "Insect Walls."  These essentially being elaborate and artistic structures for hole nesting species.

      http://greayer.com/studiog/?p=4529

      Very nicely done and some neat designs for Nature Centers to contemplate.

      I e-spoke to the author, Rochelle Greayer, about the fact that some species readily nest in the walls made of adobe or earthen plasters.  In my strawbale/adobe house house I have Anthophora abrupta (hundreds), Anthophora plumipes (introduced and unfortunately increasing), Ptilothrix bombiformis (small numbers), Melitoma taurea (small numbers), and numerous Osmia, Megachile, Chrysidid, micro-hymenoptera hangers on nesting.

      She would be interested in putting up a bit more about bees that live in adobe structures, earthen walls, or, better yet, structures of earth that people have made for these species.  So, if you have any examples, stories, or observations from around the world please share (you can post to me or to the list...I think it is of general enough interest that it would be good to have archived).

      Thanks, as always.

      I rose from marsh mud

      I rose from marsh mud,
      algae, equisetum, willows,
      sweet green, noisy
      birds and frogs

      to see her wed in the rich
      rich silence of the church,
      the little white slave-girl
      in her diamond fronds.

      In aisle and arch
      the satin secret collects.
      United for life to serve
      silver. Possessed.

            -Lorine Niedecker

      P Bees are not optional.

      Eric Mader
      National Pollinator Outreach Coordinator
      The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation
      Tel: 503-232-6639 Fax: 503-233-6794
      Email: eric@...
      Skype: eric_mader_xerces_society

      Assistant Professor of Extension
      University of Minnesota - Department of Entomology
      Email: made0002@...

      The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitat. Our Pollinator Conservation Program works to support the sustainability and profitability of farms while protecting pollinator insects. To join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work, please visit www.xerces.org.

      Find all the information you need to conserve pollinator habitat at:
      http://www.xerces.org/pollinator-resource-center/