17773Lost Weak Hive to Robbers

  • eddol92
    Aug 4, 2014

      I had split two hives about a month ago with new queens. One split was obviously not strong. I planned to merge in more workers the next morning when I felt better but I was hospitalized. It took too long to return so I lost the hive to robbers next door. I have kept a dozen or so hives for many years in the past and never lost a split until now. I'm getting old and can't manage a dozen hives so have reduced down to only three. I suggest others learn from my mistake to include enough workers to protect the hive when splitting. Don't assume you can return the next day and don't have more hives than you can physically manage.