Beatty/ies in Co Down Northern ireland

  • parryvivien
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
      Hi all
      Joined this group in the hope of finding someone out there related to Beatty/ies in County Down--mainly Newtownards or Hillsborough areas. My lineage at present is only back as far as Robert Beatty c1800 and I would love to find another few generations and possibly back to Scotland. The story from my grandfather is that his Beatty/ie ancestors came to Northern Ireland with William Prince of Orange and the Scottish army about 1690. Id love to hear from anyone who thinks they may be related to the Beatty/ies in County Down
    • Katherine Beattie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
        Hi  it's nice to hear from you I have joined the Currie Beattie family tree (google it ) it is done by a lady in Austrailia.
         The Currie Beattie group can only get back to Ireland to William Corry Beattie born1815/20  married to Jane Kelly born 1833/34 married Irninestown Farmanagh N Ireland
        on 8th September 1851 and lived in Moodiesburn where my Husband was born
        I live in Fife Scotland and I am married to William Beattie born 1936 in Lanarkshire

        Hope this can help you to connect to us keep in touch Kathy Beattie

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
          Hi Kathy
          Thank you for replying to my e mail. Does not appear to be a lot of Beatties/y this side of the world doing research---and even less in Northern Ireland, than Scotland.
          I live approx 8 miles outside Belfast in Moneyreagh. But even 'being on home turf' doen not mean it is easier to get at records than in America or Australia. At least they have pretty good records taking them back to their arrival in 'the new countries'.which could be as early as 1730s.  Our General reg offices only go back to 1864 and the Public Records Office have most of the parish records but they are still all on microfishe and in many cases unreadable and most of our census records except 1901 and 1911 were distroyed.
           Finding it so frustrating trying to get and confirm my 1800s. Through sheer luck have been in contact with an American Beattie group in Pensylvannia. They are so organised and clued up on genealogy and can get back to late 1600s when they arrived Northern Ireland and from there back to Scotland. They have DNA proof back to Scotland but have no DNA proof that they were here in Northern Ireland---and lucky me they were very kind and paid for my nephew to have his DNA tested in the hope that I come from the same lineage as them and prove their Irish heritage.
          DNA results should arrive in next few weeks and even if I am not related to this Pensylvannian Group it could possibly show me wether my lineage came here early in 1600s with the plantation of Ulster or late 1600s with the Scottish Army.

          One branch of my husbands tree (Baxters) takes him back to Lanarkshire. His main line( goes back to Wales)--- that one is a total headache!!--Mary and John Parry c1800 and I do not know where in Wales they were born!!!  I could not even begin to try and research that one!!!

          A few of my other lines are looking like they will be Scottish, but my grandmother was born in Liverpool and I have managed to get back on one of her lined to early 1600s in Dover. Two others of her lines looks very much that Ive come from German Jewish immigrants.

          Wonderful things these family trees but very addictive!!!!!

          Keep in touch and happy Hunting

          Regards
          Vivien

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
            Hi Vivien,

            Welcome to the group.
            I think Kathy summarised it pretty well.
            Currently the only Irish Beattie/Betty that I've been able to get to are Curry William Betty (or occasionally Corry) and Jane(t) Kelly.
            They were supposed to be married in Irvinestown in 1851, he from Fermanagh and she from Tyrone. I have not been able to find proof of this on the Irish side - only from the Scottish birth certificates of their children.

            I do have one piece of information that may take this Betty line to Ballinamallard, but it is only supposition based on the unusual combination of first names "Curry William".

            Unfortunately I haven't come across any others in Down, despite personally having another Scottish line that does (Logan) come from that part of NI.

            Germaine, the lady from Australia, may have done more work on this line and perhaps have some more detail to add. Personally I've been working on an English line in recent times so haven't been active here.

            If you go to the Files section of the group's page then you can see (rather old) documents with family tree charts and also the Indenture document from 1860 that suggests Bellnamallard / Ballinamallard as a possible location for our particular Betty line.

            There is a nice man call Ronald Betty who has and is doing a lot of work in this area - he provided this document to me many years ago when he first saw my Rootsweb post about this couple. He isn't related, but it might be worthwhile doing a search of the Rootsweb archives (if you aren't already a member) for Beattie/Betty and see what might be posted there.

            Anyway, it does remind me that I have probably filled out some of the Scottish families a bit more that the date of the documents on this site suggest. Time to update them I think.

            Again, welcome to the group.

            - Lynn -
            Auckland, NZ
            (Listowner)

            --- In beattie_family@yahoogroups.com, Vivien Parry <parryvivien@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kathy
            > Thank you for replying to my e mail. Does not appear to be a lot of Beatties/y
            > this side of the world doing research---and even less in Northern Ireland, than
            > Scotland.
            > I live approx 8 miles outside Belfast in Moneyreagh. But even 'being on home
            > turf' doen not mean it is easier to get at records than in America or Australia.
            > At least they have pretty good records taking them back to their arrival in 'the
            > new countries'.which could be as early as 1730s.  Our General reg offices only
            > but they are still all on microfishe and in many cases unreadable and most of
            > our census records except 1901 and 1911 were distroyed.
            >  Finding it so frustrating trying to get and confirm my 1800s. Through sheer
            > luck have been in contact with an American Beattie group in Pensylvannia. They
            > are so organised and clued up on genealogy and can get back to late 1600s when
            > they arrived Northern Ireland and from there back to Scotland. They have DNA
            > proof back to Scotland but have no DNA proof that they were here in Northern
            > Ireland---and lucky me they were very kind and paid for my nephew to have his
            > DNA tested in the hope that I come from the same lineage as them and prove their
            > Irish heritage.
            > DNA results should arrive in next few weeks and even if I am not related to this
            > Pensylvannian Group it could possibly show me wether my lineage came here early
            > in 1600s with the plantation of Ulster or late 1600s with the Scottish Army.
            >
            > One branch of my husbands tree (Baxters) takes him back to Lanarkshire. His main
            > line( goes back to Wales)--- that one is a total headache!!--Mary and John Parry
            > c1800 and I do not know where in Wales they were born!!!  I could not even begin
            > to try and research that one!!!
            >
            > A few of my other lines are looking like they will be Scottish, but my
            > grandmother was born in Liverpool and I have managed to get back on one of her
            > lined to early 1600s in Dover. Two others of her lines looks very much that Ive
            > come from German Jewish immigrants.
            >
            > Wonderful things these family trees but very addictive!!!!!
            >
            > Keep in touch and happy Hunting
            >
            > Regards
            > Vivien
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Vivien Parry
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
              Hi Lynn
              Thanks for that. I would say that it is looking more and more that I am from a seperate Beatty line to those in this group but I will have a look on Rootsweb as it is a site I do not know much about.
              Viv

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
                Hi Vivien  I am a member of genes reunited and have been in touch with a William Beattie who lives in Newtownards who tells me that the Beatties are plentiful in Tyrone he knows of four families who live close but can not find a connection
                he tells me his G Grandfather Joseph Beattie said that the Beatties come from Scotland
                but he has no proof . If you want him to get in touch I can give him your address

                Regards Kathy

> [...]

                > but they are still all on microfishe and in many cases unreadable and most of
                > our census records except 1901 and 1911 were distroyed.
                >  Finding it so frustrating trying to get and confirm my 1800s. Through sheer
                > luck have been in contact with an American Beattie group in Pensylvannia. They
                > are so organised and clued up on genealogy and can get back to late 1600s when
                > they arrived Northern Ireland and from there back to Scotland. They have DNA
                > proof back to Scotland but have no DNA proof that they were here in Northern
                > Ireland---and lucky me they were very kind and paid for my nephew to have his
                > DNA tested in the hope that I come from the same lineage as them and prove their
                > Irish heritage.
                > DNA results should arrive in next few weeks and even if I am not related to this
                &gt; Pensylvannian Group it could possibly show me wether my lineage came here early

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2010
                  Kathy---It would be so wonderful if I could contact William Beattie.( I have no contact with any Beattie family or other Beatties here in Northern Ireland except my brother and his family) My Beattie line were in Newtownards from 1830s that I know of and possibly further back. At present I have been going to Gen Reg Office Belfast to try and work my way down the dates from my gg grandfather and two of his brothers that I know of  to todays generation in the hope of 'catching' a living Beattie. My grandfather always told me that he was related to most of the Beattie families in Newtownards(he was born in 1897) and the naming pattern seems to be Robert,James, John, and William, and Ive noticed in 1901 and 1911 census lots of Joseph Beatties in the Newtownards and Belfast areas. I must admit that I never paid much attention to Tyrone as at that stage I had no reason to believe that there was a connection other than way back before Beatty/ies came to Northern Ireland .   There is a very real possibility that I am related to this William Beattie and it would be a huge step forward for my research
                  I too belong to Genes reunited but do not recall seeing a hot match to him. I do always try and follow up on any Beattie that I have hot matched to from the County Down area. However I have been using Ancestry.co.uk more recently and I have only recently updated my genes Reunited tree with more Beattie names etc.
                  Thank you very much for thinking of me on this one. I am very excited at the possibility of contacting William beattie

                  Regards
                  Viv