Re: [beam] fled Se question(newbie Question)help??

  • David Perry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2001
      Yes it does matter that you use a FLED, the circuit relies on the voltage
      trigger properties of the little microchip inside the FLED. A 1381 solar
      engine is far more efficient. Half a cm is okay (as in its not unusual), of
      course if you use a larger cap the blasts will be longer, and you will go
      further, but then it will take longer to charge up.

      David

      ---

      "Well done. Slam Tilden while praising Wilf in one short paragraph." -
      Dave Hrynkiw

    • addict4mustang@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
          You cannot use a led instead of a fled.  The fled has a special extra bit that chokes back the voltage until a certain level is met. A LED lacks this quality, ergo your circuit will never charge up.

          As to your second question, there's lots of reasons you might be getting poor performance. One that I'm fighting right now is too much tension/resistance in the power transmission to the wheels. (In my case, they're dragonfly 'wings', but same diff) Another reason might be the size of the capacitor you're using. Try attaching more capacitance.  Last reason I can think of is that your motor may not be suited to the circuit you've made.  I have lots and lots of hobby motors that are just no good to me in this solar stuff, because they require (and waste) too much power.  "ok" motors come from cdrom drives, good motors come from walkmans, outstanding motors come from pager units, or cellular phones (sometimes cellular phone batteries)