Madman Scavenger Finds...

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      OK, this may already be known, but here are a few little mechanical gems I
      have found recently:

      1) Those silly lolly-pop spinners(with cartoon charcters on them) you can
      buy for like $1 or $2, well they contain a 1.5V motor, which is not good
      quality for solar applications, but the double stage worm-gear transmission
      inside is sweet. Strip off the cartoon character on the outside. Then open
      it up and pull the gear off the motor and swap in a nice Mabuchi motor and
      voila, more torque than you need.

      2) At Wal-Mart here in Washington, there are these $5 electric tooth
      brushes that you can not replace the brushing heads. There is a motor in
      the handle which spins a wheel with a crank linkage on it so in effect, a
      good rotary to linear transmission device...maybe good for walkers.

      Back to my cave,
      Tim Smith