Re: [beam] Kiddie car motors

  • Dave Hrynkiw
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 30, 2000
      At 12:03 AM 12/1/2000, Tim Smith wrote:
      >Which brings a question to this Newbie, mechanically inclined mind...
      >How do you control the speed of an 18V DC motor(like a drill) using R/C?
      >
      >I know my brother's airplanes use a receiver and servo's to physically move
      >an engine throttle linkage, but how is this achieved electronically?

      There's a couple ways to do this. First, you can use bigger-brother type
      speed controllers to the ones used in R/C cars. One of the better places to
      look is at http://www.vantec.com These can plug straight into any R/C car
      receiver and control some BIG amps & volts, fully proportional (ie: any
      degree of speed fwd to reverse)

      The second way is to use the servos to activate the levers of large
      switches. Unfortunately, this restricts your speeds to usually only 1 or 2
      in forward or reverse.

      The third way is to use servos to activate small switches that run relays
      that are designed for large current loads. This *might* be a bit easier to
      arrange than option 2, but it all depends on how many speeds forward &
      reverse you want, and how much time you want to put into it.

      Hope that helps!

      -Dave
      "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
      that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
      2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
      http://www.solarbotics.com
    • Ben A Micklin
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 5, 2000
        30 amps continuis.

        Ben

        On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:37:08 -0000 "Larry Thacker"
        <larry@...> writes:
        > How much amperage are you looking for?
        > This circuit dosn't have a reverse, but I am sure it shouldn't be
        > too
        > hard for you sharpies to add.
        > http://www.solorb.com/gfc/elect/solarcirc/pwm2/index.html

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!