[OT] Palm-based bot

  • Victor Snesarev
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
      This just might fit into a BEAM group marginally:

      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~reshko/PILOT/

      This robot has a Palm Pilot for its brains. Seems to go really well with
      the idea of building bots with things lying around the house. I would
      imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
      cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.

      -Victor
    • turtletek@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        In a message dated 10/2/00 4:32:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
        snesarev@... writes:

        > I would
        > imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
        > cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.

        Oh really? I have a lousy broken TI-86 that I would be delighted to be able
        to turn into a robot. Richard, if you're listening, I'd guess that you might
        know something about that.

        -Brien the TurtleTek
        www.extremesc.com/turtletek
      • Victor Snesarev
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
          turtletek@... wrote:

          > snesarev@... writes:
          >
          > > I would
          > > imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
          > > cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.
          >
          > Oh really? I have a lousy broken TI-86 that I would be delighted to be able
          > to turn into a robot. Richard, if you're listening, I'd guess that you might
          > know something about that.

          That was just a guess! :)

          If I remember correctly, TI-86 only has a serial link, so you'd have to add a
          serial-to-parallel converter (there might be single-chips solutions for that) to
          get more control signals. HP-48 series has an expansion card slot with lots of
          pins, one could probably wire up some signals to it, then write software to talk
          to the expansion slot.
        • Richard Piotter
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
            Not necessarily. If you are very patient and persevering, you could load
            an Assembly program into the calculator and have it read and write
            memory locations, but add a "leach" to the data and address buses, but
            it is DEFINITELY not an easy task. This was done on a TI-92, because it
            has an expansion port that normaly holds an upgradable ROM module.

            If you only need a few lines, I recomend an ASM program that reads and
            writes serial data using the I2C protocol. you can buy I2C 8 bit
            bidirectional parallel interface chips. This is much easier for the
            TI-82, 83, 85, and 86.

            Victor Snesarev wrote:

            > turtletek@... wrote:
            >
            > > snesarev@... writes:
            > >
            > > > I would
            > > > imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
            > > > cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.
            > >
            > > Oh really? I have a lousy broken TI-86 that I would be delighted to be able
            > > to turn into a robot. Richard, if you're listening, I'd guess that you might
            > > know something about that.
            >
            > That was just a guess! :)
            >
            > If I remember correctly, TI-86 only has a serial link, so you'd have to add a
            > serial-to-parallel converter (there might be single-chips solutions for that) to
            > get more control signals. HP-48 series has an expansion card slot with lots of
            > pins, one could probably wire up some signals to it, then write software to talk
            > to the expansion slot.

            Richard Piotter The Richfiles Robotics & TI web page
            richfiles@... http://richfiles.calc.org

            -- Make Money by Simply Surfing the Net!!! Click below!!!
            --- http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=ATL147 ---
          • Zozzles T. Freep
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
              At 03:32 PM 10/2/00, you wrote:
              >This just might fit into a BEAM group marginally:
              >http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~reshko/PILOT/
              >This robot has a Palm Pilot for its brains. Seems to go really well with
              >the idea of building bots with things lying around the house. I would
              >imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
              >cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.

              Strictly speaking, using a PalmPilot & the servo controller is pretty much
              non-BEAM (IMHO only, of course). However, the use of the spiffy wheels
              (geez -- something like $20 for the wheels & $25 for shipping and
              handling!) is definitely interesting, particularly seeing how they are
              mechanically well-suited for use with modified servos.

            • David Perry
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
                Those omnidirectional wheels are very cool, but wait till you see them in
                action! They were used a fair bit at robocup this year, eg CMU who took out
                first place again. I've had a brief chat with the team members and it seems
                it's rather hard to make the robot move in a certain direction.

                David

                > >This just might fit into a BEAM group marginally:
                > >http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~reshko/PILOT/
                > >This robot has a Palm Pilot for its brains. Seems to go really well with
                > >the idea of building bots with things lying around the house. I would
                > >imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
                > >cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.
                >
                > Strictly speaking, using a PalmPilot & the servo controller is pretty much
                > non-BEAM (IMHO only, of course). However, the use of the spiffy wheels
                > (geez -- something like $20 for the wheels & $25 for shipping and
                > handling!) is definitely interesting, particularly seeing how they are
                > mechanically well-suited for use with modified servos.

              • Mohit
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Hello Zozzeles,
                  i visited the site u recomended. its really cool,but the robot looks a bit
                  expensive i guess.overall it looks great :-)
                  MOHIT
                  mohitsb@...
                  beam-fan (India)
                  >>This just might fit into a BEAM group marginally:
                  >>http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~reshko/PILOT/
                  >>This robot has a Palm Pilot for its brains. Seems to go really well with
                  >>the idea of building bots with things lying around the house. I would
                  >>imagine one could make a fairly inexpensive (in terms of additional
                  >>cost) bot with graphing calculators that students use nowadays.
                  >
                  >Strictly speaking, using a PalmPilot & the servo controller is pretty much
                  >non-BEAM (IMHO only, of course). However, the use of the spiffy wheels
                  >(geez -- something like $20 for the wheels & $25 for shipping and
                  >handling!) is definitely interesting, particularly seeing how they are
                  >mechanically well-suited for use with modified servos.

                • SPARKY
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                    ok, I was gonna wait to have a working prototype
                    for you guys before i shared this information with
                    the world,
                    but there has been a lot of interest in this area,
                    and I have not had much time to put into the mechanics,
                    but here is the information on the FOTO-WALKER (the
                    light seeking, walker with a working HEAD), that I have
                    put together so far.
                    The website gives all the info I have gathered up to
                    date, except for some construction info I plan to
                    add later.

                    It is not too technical, (sorry guys) but maybe that
                    stuff can be added later too. It relies heavily on
                    information provided by Bruce, my field testing, and
                    the original "hemicore" circuit provided by Justin
                    (Botdoc) of adaptobotics fame.

                    Hope this is helpful to you guys that have been
                    waiting for this stuff. After tomorrow you can't
                    e-mail me at this address anymore, and I will be
                    Un-subscribing from the list. (I'm moving to Austin Texas!)

                    You can reach me at my alternative address at :
                    garvinguy@... until I move, and get a new ISP.
                    anyways i should be connect through tomorrow...
                    ok enuff about me, heres the URL

                    http://members.tripod.com/sparkybots/main.htm

                    I hope tripod is up today, its been a little flakey lately...
                    regards...
                    -SPARKY
                  • Ben Hitchcock
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Hey sparky,

                      don't go! Noooo....

                      Good luck in the new place,I hope you get another ISP soon!

                      Regards,
                      Ben

                      http://www.wollongong.apana.org.au/~ben