Diode-Resistor Logic Breakthrough!

  • winglabs_inc
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2013
      Hey, I just found a way to create a full spectrum a logic gates using only diodes and resistors. I can't show it to you right now due to the scanner not working, but it involves dual lines for each bit.
      The way it works is that each bit is carried down 2 lines, one line represents 1 when high, and the other represents 0 when high. This way simply crossing the lines acts creates an inverter, an OR gate is an OR gate on the 1 side and an AND gate on the 0 side, the converse is true of an AND gate. An XNOR gate is created by placing an AND gate on both sides, and an XOR by crossing the output lines. For now, I'm only using 0 and 1, but the logic can also represent [undefined] and qubits, respectively by both lines being off or on.
      P.S. I'm having a bit of trouble with the group's new format. I like the old one better.
    • Duane C. Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2013
        connor_ramsey@... wrote:

        How different is this than "Diode Logic"
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_logic

        or the venerable "Diode Transistor Logic"
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode%E2%80%93transistor_logic

        > Hey, I just found a way to create a full spectrum a logic
        > gates using only diodes and resistors. I can't show it to
        > you right now due to the scanner not working, but it
        > involves dual lines for each bit.
        > The way it works is that each bit is carried down 2 lines,
        > one line represents 1 when high, and the other represents
        > 0 when high. This way simply crossing the lines acts creates
        > an inverter, an OR gate is an OR gate on the 1 side and an
        > AND gate on the 0 side, the converse is true of an AND gate.
        > An XNOR gate is created by placing an AND gate on both sides,
        > and an XOR by crossing the output lines. For now, I'm only
        > using 0 and 1, but the logic can also represent [undefined]
        > and qubits, respectively by both lines being off or on.
        > P.S. I'm having a bit of trouble with the group's new format.
        > I like the old one better.

        Duane

        --
        Home of the $35 Solar Tracker Receiver
        http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm [*]
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2013

          It's really not different than DRL. In fact, it is DRL. The difference in implementation is that I'm using dual rail logic, rather than the traditional single rail logic. There's separate logic for 1's and 0's, this way,  crossing the logic causes 1 to be treated as 0, and vice versa. And it's different from DTL in that it lacks transistors.

          I'm not saying that this is really practical or anything, but it could make an alternative project to a relay computer.

          ---In beam@yahoogroups.com, <redrok@...> wrote:

          connor_ramsey@... wrote:

          How different is this than "Diode Logic"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_logic

          or the venerable "Diode Transistor Logic"
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode%E2%80%93transistor_logic

          > Hey, I just found a way to create a full spectrum a logic
          > gates using only diodes and resistors. I can't show it to
          > you right now due to the scanner not working, but it
          > involves dual lines for each bit.
          > The way it works is that each bit is carried down 2 lines,
          > one line represents 1 when high, and the other represents
          > 0 when high. This way simply crossing the lines acts creates
          > an inverter, an OR gate is an OR gate on the 1 side and an
          > AND gate on the 0 side, the converse is true of an AND gate.
          > An XNOR gate is created by placing an AND gate on both sides,
          > and an XOR by crossing the output lines. For now, I'm only
          > using 0 and 1, but the logic can also represent [undefined]
          > and qubits, respectively by both lines being off or on.
          > P.S. I'm having a bit of trouble with the group's new format.
          > I like the old one better.

          Duane