Re: [beam] BEAM and PICAXE

  • David Buckley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
      Jim
      Actually a lot of my robots are based on the BasicStamp-2, (PicAxe copied the Basic from the Stamp-1) and I do use PicAxes as well but the (for me) slow download times (compared to the BS2) means I don't find them as easy to use. Ok PicAxe have A/Ds and some have more memory but they don't have labels into DATA space.
      Back in 1980 I was using CMOS logic chips and resistors and capacitors to form a robot brain, much like Beam circuits
      Even though I use microcontrollers and programming languages my programs use a number of hormonal variables - that is variables which increment and/or decrement over time which guide what the robots do, much as was happening in those CMOS circuits.
      And just as it is difficult to make Beam circuits do complicated sorts of things that microcontrollers excel at it is also difficult to use hormonal variables to control what the robot does. However it does give them a richer behaviour.
      My approach is to use the language Basic/C etc to build a virtual brain with the necessary connections to motors and sensors etc and then run in that brain a program which is composed of messages/triggers which are mediated by the hormonal variables - actually the variables which instantiate the behaviour. So to change what the robot does I change those messages but I don't rewrite the code for the brain unless I want to add other functionality.
      What this means is that if you ask me what the robot is going to do next I am not sure because I can't see the state of the hormonal variables.
      But I feel it is the way forward as my robots really never get stuck in loops for very long and occasionally strange things happen.
      Escape attempts 1 and 2
      David

      Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

      Jim

    • Edward Iglesias

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 16, 2013
          Hi Edward
          Yes that is ok, my website is on the web after all.
          What goes on in the G+ group Robots and Education.
          David

          Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

          Jim

        • Connor Ramsey
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
            HELLO AGAIN!!! I've been gone on this group since late last year, and that's partly because of some things I won't bring up, and the other is that I've been learning a lot about computers. If you remember some of the slightly overcritical things I've said about digital robotics in the past, well that's just because I didn't know what I was missing out on. I now have come to the understanding that neither pure analog nor pure digital control is the future of robotics in general. Like I commented to Lee on his PICAXE walker, while digital alone can be effective, it does take a considerable amount of resources for the processor to be able to keep up with even a mere master-slave bicore. However, a bicore is utterly incapable of the tasks that the processor is specially designed for. The real purpose of BEAM, ultimately, is to take a substantial load off of the robot's logic processor, so that the program only has to worry about peripheral things like actuator states, sensor inputs, timing, and conditions. Another thing that BEAM has only made baby steps in that computers excel at is memorization. Also, I'm writing this on July 4th night so it's kind of diffucult to focus on what I'm writing.XD.
            Enjoy, Connor