BEAM and PICAXE

  • Gymfuzz
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
      Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

      Jim
    • Martin McKee
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
        Some years ago there was talk about that, not sure what materialized out of it.  I've no experience with the PICAXE specifically, but I did a quick experiment ( again, years ago ) using an AVR to control a hexcore.  I did two tests in particular, rate control and a programmable PNC.  By varying the PWM on the NV bias points through an approprate resistor it was a piece of cake to modify the apparent NV time constant.  The programmable PNC was similar, it allowed me to inject ( at a single point ) or inhibit ( at all points ) the firing of the hexcore so I could force any pattern I wanted into it and the automatic PNC ( because it was always functioning ) would correct it by inhibiting or injecting to protect against outside influence.

        I would say that both experiments were quite successful and reasonably BEAM appropriate.  The code on the chip ( an AtMega8 ) was reactive and analog in style ( if not implementation! ) and in addition to the microcontroller I only needed some diodes and resistors.

        I've always thought that combining BEAM with a programmed element was fertile ground for exploration... never had a good use for it myself though.

        Martin Jay McKee

        On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Gymfuzz <gymfuzz@...> wrote:

        Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

        Jim

      • Lee
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013

          Yup, at the bottom.

          http://webpages.charter.net/mr.olson/beam.htm

          Lee – N9LO

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
            Jim
            Actually a lot of my robots are based on the BasicStamp-2, (PicAxe copied the Basic from the Stamp-1) and I do use PicAxes as well but the (for me) slow download times (compared to the BS2) means I don't find them as easy to use. Ok PicAxe have A/Ds and some have more memory but they don't have labels into DATA space.
            Back in 1980 I was using CMOS logic chips and resistors and capacitors to form a robot brain, much like Beam circuits
            Even though I use microcontrollers and programming languages my programs use a number of hormonal variables - that is variables which increment and/or decrement over time which guide what the robots do, much as was happening in those CMOS circuits.
            And just as it is difficult to make Beam circuits do complicated sorts of things that microcontrollers excel at it is also difficult to use hormonal variables to control what the robot does. However it does give them a richer behaviour.
            My approach is to use the language Basic/C etc to build a virtual brain with the necessary connections to motors and sensors etc and then run in that brain a program which is composed of messages/triggers which are mediated by the hormonal variables - actually the variables which instantiate the behaviour. So to change what the robot does I change those messages but I don't rewrite the code for the brain unless I want to add other functionality.
            What this means is that if you ask me what the robot is going to do next I am not sure because I can't see the state of the hormonal variables.
            But I feel it is the way forward as my robots really never get stuck in loops for very long and occasionally strange things happen.
            Escape attempts 1 and 2
            David

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2013
              And a happy belated Wilf day to you, Neil/psyclesam.

              How do you like the Rasberry Pi? I started looking into it for a new dad/daughter project. But I decided to go the Beagleboard route for performance.

              Wolfgang

              On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Neil <neil@...> wrote:

              Yup Me too, still here.

              Recent diversions include...
              Ham Radio (quite easy due to the understanding of electronics I got from BEAM)
              Arduino & Raspberry Pi

              I'm still working in the IT Racket in the UK. My son goes to University this Fall. When he finishes then I can think seriously about moving back to the USA.

              Best wishes to all,

              Neil - psyclesam

              P.S. Happy belated Wilf Day!!!!

              On 01/06/2013 12:06, J Wolfgang Goerlich wrote:

              Good hearing from you Tom. I am still around, still moderating our largely unmoderated group. My daughter and I built a couple Beam robots last year over the holidays.

              My free time these days is going into building the local hacker/infosec community. We put on a conference for a few hundred of our closest friends, and it is significant time investment. I have also returned to open source programming. Code has long been a passion of mine.

              Both of these areas still carries on the Beam spirit. Minimalistic, stochastic, self-organizing. And when it comes to community, I often find myself asking: what would Wilf do?

              Wolfgang

              On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM, graybeard2ca <grayed@...> wrote:

              Not much activity here anymore. Guess we've all grown older and moved on to other things. I'm still messing with electronics, but now doing square dancing (and calling) and bike repair for hobbies. Still have boxes of little robots and BEAM parts from a decade ago, keep thinking I'll get back into it one of these days... :)

              Keep BEAMing and dreaming
              Tom

            • Edward Iglesias

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 16, 2013
                  Hi Edward
                  Yes that is ok, my website is on the web after all.
                  What goes on in the G+ group Robots and Education.
                  David

                  Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

                  Jim

                • Connor Ramsey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                    HELLO AGAIN!!! I've been gone on this group since late last year, and that's partly because of some things I won't bring up, and the other is that I've been learning a lot about computers. If you remember some of the slightly overcritical things I've said about digital robotics in the past, well that's just because I didn't know what I was missing out on. I now have come to the understanding that neither pure analog nor pure digital control is the future of robotics in general. Like I commented to Lee on his PICAXE walker, while digital alone can be effective, it does take a considerable amount of resources for the processor to be able to keep up with even a mere master-slave bicore. However, a bicore is utterly incapable of the tasks that the processor is specially designed for. The real purpose of BEAM, ultimately, is to take a substantial load off of the robot's logic processor, so that the program only has to worry about peripheral things like actuator states, sensor inputs, timing, and conditions. Another thing that BEAM has only made baby steps in that computers excel at is memorization. Also, I'm writing this on July 4th night so it's kind of diffucult to focus on what I'm writing.XD.
                    Enjoy, Connor