Just checking in

  • graybeard2ca
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2013
      Not much activity here anymore. Guess we've all grown older and moved on to other things. I'm still messing with electronics, but now doing square dancing (and calling) and bike repair for hobbies. Still have boxes of little robots and BEAM parts from a decade ago, keep thinking I'll get back into it one of these days... :)

      Keep BEAMing and dreaming
      Tom
    • Alvaro Barcellos
      Message 2 of 15 , May 30, 2013
        Controlers got the stage, beams got the art.
      • Dave Hrynkiw
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2013
          On 5/30/2013 11:35 AM, graybeard2ca wrote:
          Not much activity here anymore.  Guess we've all grown older and moved on to other things.   I'm still messing with electronics, but now doing square dancing (and calling) and bike repair for hobbies.  Still have boxes of little robots and BEAM parts from a decade ago, keep thinking I'll get back into it one of these days... :)

          Keep BEAMing and dreaming
          Tom

          Yup, I hear ya!

          I'm sitting here surrounded by Arduino and similar high-tech development tools, but on the corner of my desk is a Miller Engine driving a high-intensity LED via a polyacene storage cell. It's blinking once every few minutes to remind me that I so miss working on some of the more elegant BEAM designs.

          First, I have to pry these administrivial crocodiles off my tush and take care of moving a laser, feeding a pick'n'place machine, reordering inventory... sigh! Administrivia eats too much of my daylight hours!

          Take care,
          Dave
        • Amit
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2013
            Yeah, Connor had things going for a bit.

            I've been busy with the university thing. But, next semester is my minor, one of my choices is the theme of electrical engineering for autonomous robots, in which we get to either build a mars rover type machine, or something of our choosing. So if that pans out,I'll be turning my hobbies into credits and I should have something nice to share with you all.

            B.R.
            Amit

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
              Good hearing from you Tom. I am still around, still moderating our largely unmoderated group. My daughter and I built a couple Beam robots last year over the holidays.

              My free time these days is going into building the local hacker/infosec community. We put on a conference for a few hundred of our closest friends, and it is significant time investment. I have also returned to open source programming. Code has long been a passion of mine.

              Both of these areas still carries on the Beam spirit. Minimalistic, stochastic, self-organizing. And when it comes to community, I often find myself asking: what would Wilf do?

              Wolfgang

              On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM, graybeard2ca <grayed@...> wrote:

              Not much activity here anymore. Guess we've all grown older and moved on to other things. I'm still messing with electronics, but now doing square dancing (and calling) and bike repair for hobbies. Still have boxes of little robots and BEAM parts from a decade ago, keep thinking I'll get back into it one of these days... :)

              Keep BEAMing and dreaming
              Tom

            • Neil
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                Yup Me too, still here.

                Recent diversions include...
                Ham Radio (quite easy due to the understanding of electronics I got from BEAM)
                Arduino & Raspberry Pi

                I'm still working in the IT Racket in the UK. My son goes to University this Fall. When he finishes then I can think seriously about moving back to the USA.

                Best wishes to all,

                Neil - psyclesam

                P.S. Happy belated Wilf Day!!!!

                On 01/06/2013 12:06, J Wolfgang Goerlich wrote:

[...]

              • Martin McKee
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                  And I'm still lurking as well ( though I was not as active as most ).  My diversions haven't changed much, still robotics, but BEAM has become something of an organizing principle as opposed to a goal.  Much of what I'm doing these days for fun is targeted toward a long-range fully-autonomous UAV project.  Lots of code, lots of electronics and PCB design, lots of aircraft dynamics and aerodynamics.  Just a big project.  But fulfilling.  Even though everything's processor based now, I still try to program it in a reactive/adaptive manner.  I haven't lost that.

                  Cheers,
                  Martin Jay McKee

                  On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Neil <neil@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Gymfuzz
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                    Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

                    Jim
                  • Martin McKee
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                      Some years ago there was talk about that, not sure what materialized out of it.  I've no experience with the PICAXE specifically, but I did a quick experiment ( again, years ago ) using an AVR to control a hexcore.  I did two tests in particular, rate control and a programmable PNC.  By varying the PWM on the NV bias points through an approprate resistor it was a piece of cake to modify the apparent NV time constant.  The programmable PNC was similar, it allowed me to inject ( at a single point ) or inhibit ( at all points ) the firing of the hexcore so I could force any pattern I wanted into it and the automatic PNC ( because it was always functioning ) would correct it by inhibiting or injecting to protect against outside influence.

                      I would say that both experiments were quite successful and reasonably BEAM appropriate.  The code on the chip ( an AtMega8 ) was reactive and analog in style ( if not implementation! ) and in addition to the microcontroller I only needed some diodes and resistors.

                      I've always thought that combining BEAM with a programmed element was fertile ground for exploration... never had a good use for it myself though.

                      Martin Jay McKee

                      On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Gymfuzz <gymfuzz@...> wrote:

                      Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

                      Jim

                    • Lee
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013

                        Yup, at the bottom.

                        http://webpages.charter.net/mr.olson/beam.htm

                        Lee – N9LO

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                          Jim
                          Actually a lot of my robots are based on the BasicStamp-2, (PicAxe copied the Basic from the Stamp-1) and I do use PicAxes as well but the (for me) slow download times (compared to the BS2) means I don't find them as easy to use. Ok PicAxe have A/Ds and some have more memory but they don't have labels into DATA space.
                          Back in 1980 I was using CMOS logic chips and resistors and capacitors to form a robot brain, much like Beam circuits
                          Even though I use microcontrollers and programming languages my programs use a number of hormonal variables - that is variables which increment and/or decrement over time which guide what the robots do, much as was happening in those CMOS circuits.
                          And just as it is difficult to make Beam circuits do complicated sorts of things that microcontrollers excel at it is also difficult to use hormonal variables to control what the robot does. However it does give them a richer behaviour.
                          My approach is to use the language Basic/C etc to build a virtual brain with the necessary connections to motors and sensors etc and then run in that brain a program which is composed of messages/triggers which are mediated by the hormonal variables - actually the variables which instantiate the behaviour. So to change what the robot does I change those messages but I don't rewrite the code for the brain unless I want to add other functionality.
                          What this means is that if you ask me what the robot is going to do next I am not sure because I can't see the state of the hormonal variables.
                          But I feel it is the way forward as my robots really never get stuck in loops for very long and occasionally strange things happen.
                          Escape attempts 1 and 2
                          David

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2013
                            And a happy belated Wilf day to you, Neil/psyclesam.

                            How do you like the Rasberry Pi? I started looking into it for a new dad/daughter project. But I decided to go the Beagleboard route for performance.

                            Wolfgang

                            On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Neil <neil@...> wrote:

[...]

                          • Edward Iglesias

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 16, 2013
                                Hi Edward
                                Yes that is ok, my website is on the web after all.
                                What goes on in the G+ group Robots and Education.
                                David

                                Anyone have any experience with blending BEAM with PICAXE?

                                Jim

                              • Connor Ramsey
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                                  HELLO AGAIN!!! I've been gone on this group since late last year, and that's partly because of some things I won't bring up, and the other is that I've been learning a lot about computers. If you remember some of the slightly overcritical things I've said about digital robotics in the past, well that's just because I didn't know what I was missing out on. I now have come to the understanding that neither pure analog nor pure digital control is the future of robotics in general. Like I commented to Lee on his PICAXE walker, while digital alone can be effective, it does take a considerable amount of resources for the processor to be able to keep up with even a mere master-slave bicore. However, a bicore is utterly incapable of the tasks that the processor is specially designed for. The real purpose of BEAM, ultimately, is to take a substantial load off of the robot's logic processor, so that the program only has to worry about peripheral things like actuator states, sensor inputs, timing, and conditions. Another thing that BEAM has only made baby steps in that computers excel at is memorization. Also, I'm writing this on July 4th night so it's kind of diffucult to focus on what I'm writing.XD.
                                  Enjoy, Connor