Different values of the parts in a solar engine

  • Markus Schmit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13 10:07 AM
      Hey everyone!

      I've been experimenting with solar engines in BEAM Bots for quite a while now and there is one thing to that I haven't found satisfactory answers yet. Maybe you can help me out!
      So far I've used designs for photopoppers as advertised here:
      It just happens occasionally that I do not have the parts with the exact value, like say a cap with exactly 4700µ/ 5V or a smaller/ bigger motor.
      Some of my projects turned out not working at all.
      I just find it frustrating to end up with fails only because I don't know what effect alternative parts have. Can someone give me clues on what effects alternative setups have?

      Let's say varying...
      - starting voltage of the motor
      - capacity of the cap
      - voltage of the cap
      - diodes
      - current/ voltage of the solar cell

      I'm looking forward to your replies!

      Best,

      Sebastian
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 13 2:04 PM
        Hello Sebastian,

        A few years back, my son did several experiments with different capacitors and transistors. The results are listed below. I hope this helps.

        Solar Engine Dynamometer Experiments

        Another source of information is the Junkbots book, which walks you thru sizing the solar engine. Good luck, and please let us know what you learn.

        J Wolfgang Goerlich
      • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19 6:06 PM
          So what I gather from your son's results, I could make a faster photopopper by using a Miller SE with a .33F cap, since although the.33F cap has a slightly lower number of average rotations, it has a much higher motor RPM, especially when using that Maxon motor, up to 30RPM. That said, I'm going to go with that next time(unless I prefer to use a type3 SE)

          P.S. this is the first message I've sent with my phone(and in a few months).