Re: [beam] Re: Memristor

  • Richard Piotter
    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 13, 2013
      I looked online for more elements that have been successfully used in
      memristor design, and noted that there is mention of Silver Chalcogens
      (Chalcogens are the the chemical elements in group 16 of the periodic
      table. This group is also known as the oxygen family. It consists of
      the elements oxygen (O), sulfur (S) <--(DING, DING, DING! We have
      definitely seen Sulfur in the memristor discussion), selenium (Se),
      tellurium (Te), and the radioactive element polonium (Po) <--(WAT!!! I
      never realized Polonium is in the oxygen family). The defining
      characteristic appears to be that they are all 2 electrons short of a
      full outer shell.

      This has me now VERY interested in experimenting with silver circuit
      pens, as a copper (Cu), Copper Sulfide (Cu.xS.y), Silver (Ag) junction
      might have some merit... I wonder, would the silver get any Sulfur
      atoms off the Copper Sulfide, or if the bond is strong enough that it
      would not significantly change.

      On thought is using a recent ball point based silver gel pen for this.
      Apply a coat of varnish over half the pad that has been reacted to
      sulfur, then draw the silver trace from second copper trace, over the
      varnish, and end the trace just as it goes over the varnish and
      contacts the Copper Sulfide layer. Then after it dries, varnish over
      the entire pad, potentially protecting the drawn trace, the sulfide
      layer, and the junction.

      Another thought I had, was to use the pen on a sheet of teflon. Allow
      it to cure, mechanically or thermally anneal it, then peel it off the
      teflon and stick the end in sulfur. If aluminum ended up being
      critical to the junction, then maybe the PC board can be masked,
      leaving only exposed copper pads, and the traces leading to them
      electrically energized, and plate aluminum onto the pads.

      I can either purchase the silver pen, or make high purity copper
      paint. The copper paint involves dissolving and then mixing together
      Ascorbic Acid with Coper Sulfate (NOT Sulfide... This stuff is a blue
      powder/crystal). That will strip the copper sulfate of the sulfur
      atoms and let copper nano particles precipitate out and sediment at
      the bottom. After pouring off the liquid, you mix a little gum arabic
      as a binder, and you have copper paint... Though it must be
      mechanically or thermally annealed or oxidization due to porosity will
      destroy its conductivity.

      Either way, while the second method is an extraordinarily greater
      amount of work... if silver directly on the Copper Sulfide does not
      create a viable junction, the latter might. It might be possible to
      hold the sulfide reacted metal "piece" against the plated aluminum
      with a small point (pin, pen, etc coated with a release agent) to
      create a positive contact surface, then place a drop of varnish or
      epoxy over the entire lot... Something that cures quickly, and is
      preferably thick, so as to not readily wick. That, hopefully would
      seal the entire structure, and bind the chalcogenic metal pad in place
      against the plated aluminum, with maintained positive contact at the
      point of the pressure point generated by the tool used to hold it in
      place. Flatten the tail of the metal against the board, and paint it
      to the next trace on the PC board to complete the circuit, and maybe
      drop another dab of epoxy/varnish to protect the entire thing.

      Or we get lucky and discover we can just paint the junction on the
      existing Copper Sulfide pad with a silver circuit pen! (crosses
      fingers REALLY hard)!

      HA! I realize I am essentially talking to myself by email! It really
      is too early for me! XD
      I hope people are still interested in the concept of homemade
      memristors!

      Richard Piotter
      richfiles

      Begin forwarded message:

    • <rlnansel@...>
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 29, 2014

        Well, fsck me sideways with a broom! All these years I've been hallucinating that  "R" in memistor. You are, of course, right.

        Still, it seems to me a 3-terminal device would be handier than a 2-terminal device because then one could use the "neurons that fire together wire together" algorithm to automatically adjust the resistances of memistor synaptic weights.

        During normal operation the memister works like an ordinary resistor, but during the adaptation mode (between firings?)  inactive-exicitory and inactive-inhibitory memistors are left alone, while each memistor element that was active-exicitory when the neuron fired gets a dose of plating current to decrease resistance,  and active-inhibitory memisters get reverse plating current to increase resistance.

        There is the added complication that the old memistors used AC current during normal resistance mode (presumably to prevent plating action), but with modern semiconductor circuits it might not be necessary since the plating control electrode could be shorted to one end of the resistance with a transistor switch. Just thinking out loud, here.

        -Bobby