Re: [beam] Re: Memristor

  • Richard Piotter
    Message 1 of 64 , Mar 11 2:22 AM
      I was looking into memristors again, today. I saw a silver based
      circuit pen and it led me back to these ideas. Has anyone determined
      if a metal like silver can function instead of aluminum for the
      purposes of the point contact end of a memristor, or any other
      materials. I learned how to precipitate copper nano particles out of
      copper sulfate using ascorbic acid. You can make it into a paint using
      a little gum arabic. Only issue, is we can already make the copper
      traces. Aluminum would instantly oxidize, and I'm not sure if oxidized
      aluminum nano particles will conduct well enough or not.

      http://richfiles.solarbotics.net/robots/Memristor_PCB.png

      I repeat my old theoretical process in the cheap pic above. Could a
      silver based circuit pen take the place of the aluminum for the
      contact. I think this idea could have potential... It's similar to how
      planar transistors completely replaced point contact germanium
      transistors, and ultimately led the way to integrated circuits. The
      scale is obviously bigger, but the idea is the same. I might have to
      just suck it up and buy a circuit pen or two, maybe different
      formulas. It'll have to wait though, as I think I need to pay rent on
      time first!

      Richard Piotter
      richfiles

      Begin forwarded message:

    • <rlnansel@...>
      Message 64 of 64 , Jan 29, 2014

        Well, fsck me sideways with a broom! All these years I've been hallucinating that  "R" in memistor. You are, of course, right.

        Still, it seems to me a 3-terminal device would be handier than a 2-terminal device because then one could use the "neurons that fire together wire together" algorithm to automatically adjust the resistances of memistor synaptic weights.

        During normal operation the memister works like an ordinary resistor, but during the adaptation mode (between firings?)  inactive-exicitory and inactive-inhibitory memistors are left alone, while each memistor element that was active-exicitory when the neuron fired gets a dose of plating current to decrease resistance,  and active-inhibitory memisters get reverse plating current to increase resistance.

        There is the added complication that the old memistors used AC current during normal resistance mode (presumably to prevent plating action), but with modern semiconductor circuits it might not be necessary since the plating control electrode could be shorted to one end of the resistance with a transistor switch. Just thinking out loud, here.

        -Bobby