Re: AND how about this idea?

  • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
      Ok, someone respond sometime THIS YEAR! I'M STARTING TO GET ANNOYED AT BEING THE ONLY PERSON WHO CHECKS THIS FORUM REGULARLY!
    • mikerobe@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
        Be patient
        I'm half asleep.right now, but I remember something about a reverse and turn function and I think it used spare gates on a 240 with a cap to set the duration

        Mike Robertson

        Sent from my BlackBerry® PlayBook™

        Ok, someone respond sometime THIS YEAR! I'M STARTING TO GET ANNOYED AT BEING THE ONLY PERSON WHO CHECKS THIS FORUM REGULARLY!

      • Martin McKee

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...> wrote:

            > I check regularly but I'm not the one to ask about tricks in analog
            > electronics design. I'm atrocious!
            >
            > Martin Jay McKee
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM, mikerobe@... wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Be patient
            > > I'm half asleep.right now, but I remember something about a reverse and
            > > turn function and I think it used spare gates on a 240 with a cap to set
            > > the duration
            > >

            > > Mike Robertson

            Well, it's not analog trickery, it's discrete digital construction. I didn't have any more room on my 240 for the reverse circuitry, so I put the 2 Nus on an AC14, but otherwise Mike's version sounds similar, although my design has a "double-reverse" function. Where if the bot is reversing, and it hits an object from behind, it moves forward again, and the reverse trigger simply times out.

            Say, I've been thinking(like usual), and I've realized something. I believe the term "robot" is somewhat of a misnomer when it comes to BEAM. It's understandable that the distinction between true robots and biomorphs be obscured, but I think there IS one key quality that vastly separates the two. Autodecisiveness. A robot may perform actions on its own, but requires an operator to command the robot to perform that action beforehand. A biomorph is completely autodecisive, able to perform actions on its own, and performs these actions by its own choice, completely free of user input. I mean, when you consider it, the word "robot" is derived from the Czech word for "slave". This is fitting for your typical automaton, but a biomorph doesn't quite obey instructions like a "slave" would. Therefore, I don't think a biomorph should technically be called a robot, although by extension, may sometimes be considered  a robotic sub-system. And if a "rider" component is attached to the biomorph to influence the biomorph's behavior, and the "rider" permits user-control over the biomorph, then the biomorph, coupled with its "rider" component, can then be considered a true robot.

            So here's the overall point of this post: a robot is NOT a biomorph, some biomorphs ARE robots, most biomorphs are NOT robots. Oh yeah, and Braitenburg vehichles are also NOT robots. So strictly, robots and biomorphs are related yet distinct classes of machine. Although you may consider biomorphs robots by extension. Otherwise, they are simply not.

            I had to get that out. Enjoy. Connor.

          • David Buckley
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012
              Exactly.
              It is no use having a domestic robot if you keep having to rescue it from behind the kitchen door.
              Robots should be able to take care of themselves, then you can give them tasks to do without all the 'remember to blow your nose' rules.

              > I check regularly but I'm not the one to ask about tricks in analog
              > electronics design. I'm atrocious!
              >
              > Martin Jay McKee
              >
              > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM, mikerobe@... wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Be patient
              > > I'm half asleep.right now, but I remember something about a reverse and
              > > turn function and I think it used spare gates on a 240 with a cap to set
              > > the duration
              > >

              > > Mike Robertson

              Well, it's not analog trickery, it's discrete digital construction. I didn't have any more room on my 240 for the reverse circuitry, so I put the 2 Nus on an AC14, but otherwise Mike's version sounds similar, although my design has a "double-reverse" function. Where if the bot is reversing, and it hits an object from behind, it moves forward again, and the reverse trigger simply times out.

              Say, I've been thinking(like usual), and I've realized something. I believe the term "robot" is somewhat of a misnomer when it comes to BEAM. It's understandable that the distinction between true robots and biomorphs be obscured, but I think there IS one key quality that vastly separates the two. Autodecisiveness. A robot may perform actions on its own, but requires an operator to command the robot to perform that action beforehand. A biomorph is completely autodecisive, able to perform actions on its own, and performs these actions by its own choice, completely free of user input. I mean, when you consider it, the word "robot" is derived from the Czech word for "slave". This is fitting for your typical automaton, but a biomorph doesn't quite obey instructions like a "slave" would. Therefore, I don't think a biomorph should technically be called a robot, although by extension, may sometimes be considered  a robotic sub-system. And if a "rider" component is attached to the biomorph to influence the biomorph's behavior, and the "rider" permits user-control over the biomorph, then the biomorph, coupled with its "rider" component, can then be considered a true robot.

              So here's the overall point of this post: a robot is NOT a biomorph, some biomorphs ARE robots, most biomorphs are NOT robots. Oh yeah, and Braitenburg vehichles are also NOT robots. So strictly, robots and biomorphs are related yet distinct classes of machine. Although you may consider biomorphs robots by extension. Otherwise, they are simply not.

              I had to get that out. Enjoy. Connor.

            • Tom Gray
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2012
                I'm lurking.  Post a schematic, please, so I know what you're talking about.
              • Richard Piotter
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 16, 2012
                  I'm gonna have to concur. It's hard to visualize conceptual concepts
                  like circuitry, played out in text. If you want results, fire up MS
                  Paint, or it's equivalent, if you are a Linux or Mac or tablet! No one
                  is gonna take the time to do it for you, just to MAYBE hit on what you
                  were going for. It'll take some effort on your end to create those
                  images. Without those, it becomes a wall of text that you want to
                  paint as an electrical map.

                  Hmm... November 16th today... We'll see how long my message takes to
                  post. I've had spans of 2 weeks before. That's what frustrates me
                  sometimes. From time to time, this list becomes too laggy to hold a
                  thread. I don't know why.

                  Richard P

                  Begin forwarded message:
                  > From: "Tom Gray" <grayed@...>
                  > Date: November 14, 2012 10:53:51 AM CST
                  > To: <beam@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: [beam] Re: AND how about this idea?
                  >
                  > I'm lurking. Post a schematic, please, so I know what you're
                  > talking about.

                  Begin forwarded message: