Re: Sort of a Stupid Question, but...

  • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "thehairyrock" <thehairyrock@...> wrote:

      > It's already been done... Robosapien is a BEAM bot.

      SINCE WHEN?!? Robosapien's PROTOTYPE was BEAM based, but robosapien itself is by definition a "traditional" digital robot. That being said, your half right. It has already been done. Although I dont believe Robosapien displays true emergent behaviors, its prototypic ancestor might have been capable of such a thing.
    • Amit
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2012
        At any rate, it's a good place to start with the robosapien, or bio-droid and experiment from there.

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0IWVUEQrd7YwcTWFCeQoFjXR-mQ91WQ37P8mR5Eu3H2Wg2Z3EuI2WwQyl4bG5ZO7AeKtABYnQsR-p7tt3N6ilyAYYz2e-ZR1/Jwgoerlich/robosapien-abcore-biomorph.gif

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "connor_ramsey@..." <connor_ramsey@...> wrote:

        > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "thehairyrock" <thehairyrock@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's already been done... Robosapien is a BEAM bot.
        >
        > SINCE WHEN?!? Robosapien's PROTOTYPE was BEAM based, but robosapien itself is by definition a "traditional" digital robot. That being said, your half right. It has already been done. Although I dont believe Robosapien displays true emergent behaviors, its prototypic ancestor might have been capable of such a thing.

      • Zozzles T. Freep
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2012

          On Nov 2, 2012 7:52 AM, "dirrenedo" <autisticando@...> wrote:

          >  In spite of the fact that  the father of BEAM robotics has created the RoboSapien and the RS Media, I'd have to voice a resounding NO! So what if the RoboSapien could conserve energy from one movement to another, that is hardly an overall BEAM device by any definition and the rumor at one time (and who knows, it might be true even still), the RS Media runs off of Linux!!!

          Ask the guy who does the clever "robo-dance"' stuff. Sadly, I don't recall  I don't recall his name or URL, but he was doing some magnificent work

          Heck, I threw down the glove of challenge at least five years ago for someone to create a BEAM-Bot that could sense stairs and go up and down them as well as perform planar translational movement.
          it. Ain't happened yet (unless someone is keeping it secret.)

          I'd much prefer shoving a stack of  e-Bay Roombas with a stack of Arduinos or a bunch of the nearly micro-Arduinos from Solarbotics - at least Roombas supposedly ha top-edge of stair detection and if you take the brushes off, a huge amount of battery power.

          The BEAM Heretic

        • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2012

            Actually it doesn't sound that much harder to me that a positive taxi on a vertical plane of movement(at least going up the stairs). Obviously there would have to be a limited DOF on this taxi, where exceeding this DOF makes the robot avoid the object instead(unless it can climb walls, which would be freaking awesome). Going back downstairs would require an invert of the same function. I know it would just kill the lot of us, but these reactions would actually have to occur QUICKLY, within milliseconds in order that the robot doesnt make a turn to avoid an edge while its falling off that edge! And a three motor walker with long enough legs could easily master the stair-climbing arts granted it was equipped with this 2d perception, whereas the problem with other BEAMbots climbing stairs is that they cannot perceive the 2 dimensional plane that is the front or top face of a step because their vision is only 1 dimensional(on top of the fact that most of them simply aren't mechanically adept enough to climb stairs to begin with). Now 3d vision would definitely be a first in BEAM, and would also allow the robot to perceive sloped surfaces and process them in the same manner as steps. Namely, if the top edge of the step/slope falls out of perceiving range by the time the sensor reaches max DOF, the step/slope is considered climbable. Otherwise it is treated as an obstacle. The inverse is true for heading down a step/slope: if the bottom edge of the step/slope falls into perceiving range by the time the sensor reaches max DOF, then it is considered traversable. Basically the same rules apply to climbing both stairs and slopes, only one needs 3d perception, while the other only requires 2d perception.

            And if your simply not interested in that, something I simply can't fathom, just use rotating augers(screws) positioned lengthwise the vehichle, maybe with small wheels lining the rim, and this setup, if large enough, very easily rolls up and down the stairs. It's also great as an all-terrain vehichle, FYI.

          • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2012
              Oh, and also, WE HIT 90 POSTS LAST MONTH!!!! That's more than we've had in one month in 3 years! THREE YEARS! Maybe we can wedge in like a hundred or so this month? In fact... CHALLENGE!!*

              *no spam posts, actual BEAM discussion.