Re: [beam] Re: Beginner to BEAM robotics.

  • Martin McKee
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
      I certainly can't deny that BEAM can be an excellent introduction to robotics, but I do think it is important to consider just what a wide field "BEAM Robotics" can be.  It ranges from simple devices like pummers ( modified solar engines ) and solar rollers to more capable devices like photopoppers ( basically two solar engines put together ) to more advanced robots like the BEAMAnt or various walkers.  Each of these types of device has different requirements for completion and gives different learning opportunities.

      If I were to suggest a first project given the above constraints, I would still stick with my earlier suggestion, a photopopper.  It is complex enough to have some mild emergent behaviors, so they remain interesting.  Also, they are difficult enough to construct that it can feel like a major accomplishment to have a finished, working, robot.  But, they are not "hard" to build.  Given some patience just about anyone should be able to complete one.  A circuit that I like is the FRED photopopper available here: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/FRED_Photopopper .  It is a simple circuit and fairly capable.  It does have issues ( as outlined in the text ) with excessively bright light, but that is easy enough to deal with.  Many more options here: http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_popper.html .

      So many options... so little time.

      Martin Jay McKee

      On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Lewiseaglesnest@... <lewiseaglesnest@...> wrote:

      Well in our research for what to include in our curriculums we found that the concept of BEAM robotics important to Early robotics education. This is why we are perusing learning its concepts.

      Sean Lewis
      Coach and Mentor
      Eaglesnest Robotics
      Facebook: Eaglesnest Robotics
      Twitter: EglsnstRobotics
      YouTube: EaglesnestRobotics
      "Learning, Exploring, and Originating, through Robotics."

      On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...> wrote:

      If you don't have much experience with schematics, that would be a good thing to start learning -- it greatly expands your options.  Your experience with Arduinos, though, should serve you well in the basic electronics department.

      Before trying to come up with the "best" first project, what drew you to BEAM robotics?

      Martin Jay McKee

      On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM, arno_brosi <arnobrosi@...> wrote:

      Welcome to the group!
      A great book is junkbots,bugbots and bots on wheels:
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0072226013

      I think a good project to start is a solaroller or a magbot pendulum.

      regards,Arno