Beginner to BEAM robotics.

  • seanandlaurielewis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
      Ok I am new to BEAM robotics so Hello to my new friend and my new fun world. So if you could point ,e in a direction for a first project or a book to start with where would you send me besides the Solarbotics site, which I have frequented alot lately.

      Sean
    • Martin McKee
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2012
        Welcome,
        It certainly depends upon what your level of knowledge is as to what a good first project might be.

        Do you read schematic diagrams? Have you done electronics before ( design and/or construction )?

        If the answer to the above is no, then a first project will likely be much different than if the answer is yes.  Also, it depends on what you're interested in.  May people prefer photo-poppers as a first project.  They are simple and, actually, pretty fun to play with.  Of course, if you are looking for a walker, it's hard to go wrong with a two-motor design and a simple control system ( it does take more skill in construction and electronics though ).

        As far as finding BEAM circuits, it is hard to do better than http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net

        And, for general BEAM information ( besides the Solarbotics site ) http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page is outstanding.

        Once again, welcome... and have fun!

        Martin Jay McKee

      • Lewiseaglesnest@gmail.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
            Welcome to the group!
            A great book is junkbots,bugbots and bots on wheels:
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0072226013

            I think a good project to start is a solaroller or a magbot pendulum.

            regards,Arno

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Lewiseaglesnest@..." <lewiseaglesnest@...> wrote:

            > I don't have a lot of experience in schematics. I have played around with some electronics dealing with the Arduino.
            >
            > Sean Lewis
            >

            > On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:05 AM, Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Welcome,
            > >
            > > It certainly depends upon what your level of knowledge is as to what a good first project might be.
            > >
            > > Do you read schematic diagrams? Have you done electronics before ( design and/or construction )?
            > >
            > > If the answer to the above is no, then a first project will likely be much different than if the answer is yes. Also, it depends on what you're interested in. May people prefer photo-poppers as a first project. They are simple and, actually, pretty fun to play with. Of course, if you are looking for a walker, it's hard to go wrong with a two-motor design and a simple control system ( it does take more skill in construction and electronics though ).
            > >
            > > As far as finding BEAM circuits, it is hard to do better than http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net
            > >
            > > And, for general BEAM information ( besides the Solarbotics site ) http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page is outstanding.
            > >
            > > Once again, welcome... and have fun!
            > >
            > > Martin Jay McKee
            > >
            > > On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM, seanandlaurielewis <lewiseaglesnest@...> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Ok I am new to BEAM robotics so Hello to my new friend and my new fun world. So if you could point ,e in a direction for a first project or a book to start with where would you send me besides the Solarbotics site, which I have frequented alot lately.
            > >>
            > >> Sean

          • Martin McKee
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
              If you don't have much experience with schematics, that would be a good thing to start learning -- it greatly expands your options.  Your experience with Arduinos, though, should serve you well in the basic electronics department.

              Before trying to come up with the "best" first project, what drew you to BEAM robotics?

              Martin Jay McKee

            • Lewiseaglesnest@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
                Well in our research for what to include in our curriculums we found that the concept of BEAM robotics important to Early robotics education. This is why we are perusing learning its concepts.

                Sean Lewis
                Coach and Mentor
                Eaglesnest Robotics
                Facebook: Eaglesnest Robotics
                Twitter: EglsnstRobotics
                YouTube: EaglesnestRobotics
                "Learning, Exploring, and Originating, through Robotics."

                On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...> wrote:

                If you don't have much experience with schematics, that would be a good thing to start learning -- it greatly expands your options.  Your experience with Arduinos, though, should serve you well in the basic electronics department.

                Before trying to come up with the "best" first project, what drew you to BEAM robotics?

                Martin Jay McKee

                On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM, arno_brosi <arnobrosi@...> wrote:

                Welcome to the group!
                A great book is junkbots,bugbots and bots on wheels:
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index=books&linkCode=qs&keywords=0072226013

                I think a good project to start is a solaroller or a magbot pendulum.

                regards,Arno

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Lewiseaglesnest@..." <lewiseaglesnest@...> wrote:

                > I don't have a lot of experience in schematics. I have played around with some electronics dealing with the Arduino.
                >
                > Sean Lewis
                >

                > On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:05 AM, Martin McKee <martinjaymckee@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Welcome,
                > >
                > > It certainly depends upon what your level of knowledge is as to what a good first project might be.
                > >
                > > Do you read schematic diagrams? Have you done electronics before ( design and/or construction )?
                > >
                > > If the answer to the above is no, then a first project will likely be much different than if the answer is yes. Also, it depends on what you're interested in. May people prefer photo-poppers as a first project. They are simple and, actually, pretty fun to play with. Of course, if you are looking for a walker, it's hard to go wrong with a two-motor design and a simple control system ( it does take more skill in construction and electronics though ).
                > >
                > > As far as finding BEAM circuits, it is hard to do better than http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net
                > >
                > > And, for general BEAM information ( besides the Solarbotics site ) http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page is outstanding.
                > >
                > > Once again, welcome... and have fun!
                > >
                > > Martin Jay McKee
                > >
                > > On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM, seanandlaurielewis <lewiseaglesnest@...> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Ok I am new to BEAM robotics so Hello to my new friend and my new fun world. So if you could point ,e in a direction for a first project or a book to start with where would you send me besides the Solarbotics site, which I have frequented alot lately.
                > >>
                > >> Sean

              • Martin McKee
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 23, 2012
                  I certainly can't deny that BEAM can be an excellent introduction to robotics, but I do think it is important to consider just what a wide field "BEAM Robotics" can be.  It ranges from simple devices like pummers ( modified solar engines ) and solar rollers to more capable devices like photopoppers ( basically two solar engines put together ) to more advanced robots like the BEAMAnt or various walkers.  Each of these types of device has different requirements for completion and gives different learning opportunities.

                  If I were to suggest a first project given the above constraints, I would still stick with my earlier suggestion, a photopopper.  It is complex enough to have some mild emergent behaviors, so they remain interesting.  Also, they are difficult enough to construct that it can feel like a major accomplishment to have a finished, working, robot.  But, they are not "hard" to build.  Given some patience just about anyone should be able to complete one.  A circuit that I like is the FRED photopopper available here: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/FRED_Photopopper .  It is a simple circuit and fairly capable.  It does have issues ( as outlined in the text ) with excessively bright light, but that is easy enough to deal with.  Many more options here: http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_popper.html .

                  So many options... so little time.

                  Martin Jay McKee