hanging robot

  • Gökçe Mehmet Ay
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hi I am new to list.
      I am trying to construct a hanging robot. Have any of you designed a robot
      hanging from a beam. The problem is I am not allowed to use a wheel like
      locomotion. Can you help me?
      Thanks in advance.

      He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
      fool forever.
      --Chinese Proverb
    • Bruce Robinson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        battlewear@... wrote:

        > A bot, using 2 photodiodes to pick up light.. and 2 microphones
        > to pick up sound.. Now, what I am wondering is is there a way
        > to set up a logic circuit ( about the only name I am able to
        > call it at this point ) where if 1 eye see's more light it will
        > cause the bot to turn in that direction, but if there is a amount
        > of sound over a certian db that those signals will be over ridden
        > and special capciters fire causing the bot to run away from the
        > sound??

        I think it can be done, Jason. I've fooled around with this sort of
        thing a bit, but never one quite this complicated.

        In very general terms:

        - a bicore sends a series of short pulses to 4 Nv neurons (1 per
        eye and 1 per ear).
        - the Nv neurons have varying delays, which are determined by
        the photocells and the microphones. Note: Wilf's Beamsonic
        circuit describes a 2-transistor amplifier for the mics.
        - a pair of Nu circuits filter the sound signal, so it must
        be above a certain level before it will pass.
        - The outputs from the Nu meurons (sound) and the eye Nv neurons
        are brought together into a pair of Nu neurons which act somewhat
        like counters: it takes several pulses to make them fire. Whichever
        one fires first turns off the other, so the "winner" takes charge
        of turning the robot.
        - If a sound signal passes through the filter, it grounds the
        eye Nv's so they can't send any signals. This means the sound will
        dominate if it is loud enough.

        This would involve cobbling together a portion of the Beamsonics circuit
        with the Nu comparitor that Droidmakr just told us about, plus a couple
        or three additional neurons.

        Yet another interesting circuit to play with -- when I (or hopefully
        someone else) has time.

        Bruce
      • John Simmons
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
          We did something similar for design class one time. What do you mean by
          hanging ? Is it supposed to move up and down a cord? Is it supposed to
          traverse a cord like a monorail? This sounds intriguing. Tell me more.
          John S.

          http://profiles.msn.com