Re: Ouch... I have my lathe and mill...

  • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:

      > Eeyup... Spider has cracks in it's frame everywhere due to the solder
      > coming loose as the outer plating sort of... de-plates. That's why I
      > want to move on to better materials. I still have my old robots, and
      > want them to last the test of time.
      >
      > I have an idea for a Spyder mini that would use 8 3.5" FDD steppers
      > instead of traditional motors. The legs would have a pair of springs
      > that would engage the worm gear, and allow extension or retraction of
      > the leg joint. Since the legs are joined by springs to the gear, they
      > could never strip out, just slip. I had considered using a huge dowel
      > of delerin to machine the parts from.
      >
      > On a side note, I used to have a poor beat up PowerBook 1400 back when
      > I joined this list. Screen was cracked, and I eventually parted it
      > out. I still had the case though, and it was that weird model with the
      > top you could slide off and replace with your own personal designs.
      > One company made a solar panel that would fit the top of the computer.
      > I decided all those years ago, back in 1999, that I would find one of
      > those solar panels, drop some gearmotors with wheels to the bottom,
      > and make it into a giant (for BEAM scales anyway) solar robot.
      >
      > I finally found that solar panel, and it arrived at my door today!
      >
      > 13 years in the idea phase... I think it's time to start building!
      >
      > Richard Piotter

      I have a 6v 85mA solar panel from RadioShack. It's about 4 inches long and I was thinking of making a tiny 8 motor walker out of it, with 4 micro servos(a few cm long each) directly beneath it, and 4 more attached to those. The leg articulation is going to be different than spyder's, rather than the top joint producing thrust and the lower joint producing lift, it's going be arranged opposite. The upper joint will move the leg vertically, while the lower joint moves the robot foreward. Kinda like in a 5 motor walker, except each leg produces lift independently.