Re: Aquatic research

  • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
      You know, I think we're starting to get over our heads here. This is a robotics email list, not a synthetic biology email list. Therefore we should probably get back to robotics.

      Like instead of bicores, I've been basing my simpler designs on single neuron CPGs, using the sinusoid neuron of mine, but with the ground resistor removed and the cap tied to ground instead. Essentially it's an Nu looping back on itself, that in all my models will work effectively. And it still produces the sine waves because there's an indirect path from the capacitor to the output. I've even been using change-over relays in these oscillators so that it outputs cosine as well as sine waves, able to drive a motor directly, so really I've been working on one-motor walkers driven by single Nus. Probably among the absolute simplest BEAM designs physically possible. But still as functional, if not more functional(due to more complex wave patterns), than most bicores.
    • Amit
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
        It's fun to take a detour every now and then. I've begun to build another 5-motor (boy do I love these) walker using bicores to give a nice overlapping gait. I've begun designing the boards in eagle, and I bought some pcbs from radioshack so that I could make a prototype to test the designs. So far each motor is controlled by two bicores, one for the gait the other for the speed. There is a 5 Nu net for the left/right/rev tactiles, and with IMxs and the P-net I can get hard and soft turning behaviour. There is also a PSH style core for vision. I want to toggle the PSH for light/dark seeking with a 2Nv chain. But I think I might run into problems because I'm using photodiodes, have no LDRs and don't feel like buying any, and I don't want to waste tristate inverters on the outputs of that circuit because everything would fit on 1 HC14 ideally. Right now my bank account has -5eur, so I'll have to wait till my job comes through to buy motors. I was leaning towards the Gm23 and 24, because they're $5 a pop, so that should be around $20 with the quantity discount, don't know what the customs tax will be. Being a poor student sucks, food, or parts?

        Once I get the critter walking and tune its reflexes, I'll figure out some "cool" behaviours for it. Maybe some BEAM sonics stuff to give it some personality and throw in some bits from auris to make it hunt noises.

        B.R.
        Amit

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "connor_ramsey@..." <connor_ramsey@...> wrote:

        > You know, I think we're starting to get over our heads here. This is a robotics email list, not a synthetic biology email list. Therefore we should probably get back to robotics.
        >
        > Like instead of bicores, I've been basing my simpler designs on single neuron CPGs, using the sinusoid neuron of mine, but with the ground resistor removed and the cap tied to ground instead. Essentially it's an Nu looping back on itself, that in all my models will work effectively. And it still produces the sine waves because there's an indirect path from the capacitor to the output. I've even been using change-over relays in these oscillators so that it outputs cosine as well as sine waves, able to drive a motor directly, so really I've been working on one-motor walkers driven by single Nus. Probably among the absolute simplest BEAM designs physically possible. But still as functional, if not more functional(due to more complex wave patterns), than most bicores.

      • Neuron Craft
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
          Glad to see an active construction in progress. Will you be posting progress pics somewhere?
          ______________________________
          http://neuroncraft.tumblr.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
            Yes, I'll be putting things on my website :
            amitnv.solarbotics.net
            Will be in the robots section under 5M3b. I might put some things in my files section. I can put up some screen grabs of the circuits so far, and some photos of my notes.
            I also found some of the notes on salamander in a box at my previous home, so I'll put those up as well. It's just timing diagrams and some sketches.
            I have to go for some surgery tomorrow, so during the recovery period when I can't do much, I'll just upload these things.

            Are you building any bots at the moment? Then it would be you, me and Connor with things in progress.

            B.R.
            Amit

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
              I am in the slow progress of building 2-motor walker; started last month. I restarted this hobby so building this is simply to help myself rebuild my inventory in parts and tools. My old house got invaded by terminates. I pretty much had all my bots, parts and tools rendered useless.

              On your website, those thumbnails appear to be the full size image only with different dimension set in HTML. The page is really loading the large images which slows down the overall page load time and hog my browser during the loading too. Would be better if you make physically small copy of the original images for the thumbnails.

              ______________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 26, 2012
                Sounds cool, have you seen the solarbotics scoutwalker 3? It's an extremely capable 2-motor walker. You could get some cool ideas from it. I know what starting over's like. A few years back our house flooded out while we were overseas. I lost almost everything.

                Ohhh, that's why the site is so damn slow.Sorry about that. I haven't built a proper website in years, so when I started that one I was pretty terrible. Yes, I'll make some smaller versions for the site. Now that I think about it that was a pretty dumb move on my part.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 27, 2012
                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Amit" <amitjones101@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, I'll be putting things on my website :
                  > amitnv.solarbotics.net
                  > Will be in the robots section under 5M3b. I might put some things in my files section. I can put up some screen grabs of the circuits so far, and some photos of my notes.
                  > I also found some of the notes on salamander in a box at my previous home, so I'll put those up as well. It's just timing diagrams and some sketches.
                  > I have to go for some surgery tomorrow, so during the recovery period when I can't do much, I'll just upload these things.
                  >
                  > Are you building any bots at the moment? Then it would be you, me and Connor with things in progress.
                  >
                  > B.R.
                  > Amit

                  I'm not really up to anything right now, just pondering about a few relay based circuit concepts. I'm working on JunkMan 1 a little, figuring out where the relay's gonna fit snugly. It's not particularly big, it only came out of a DVD player, but JunkMan's body is very narrow and cramped. I need to get finished with it soon, I can see its body starting to rust.