Some help?

  • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2012
      Could someone explain to me what that thing is in the middle of Vbug 1.6's schematic? Because I would really like to know. Also, could anyone tell me how an epitaxial planar transistor works differently than a regular one? Because I have two of those I want to use.
    • Amit Tiwari-Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
        Hey Connor,

        I believe that thing in the middle is a type 2 Happy Birthday Singer solar engine. I could be wrong though. Someone who's been around since the beginning might know.
        http://library.solarbotics.net/circuits/se_t2_hbs.html

        On the left is what looks to be a biomorphic map, and I would say it's very similar to Vbug 1.5's map, in that it's a standard microcore and has what appears to be a waist motor as for the 1.5. However I can't make out what is written on some of the neurons and it doesn't show the motors and how they are connected.

        There is some information around about solarizing microcores/bicores, so you should be able to fill in the gaps with a more current solar engine. Building the Vbug 1.5 style 5 motor walkers is fun though. Harols Ilano's built 4, and I've built 2, both with auto PNCs and the last with a new behaviour. The hardest part is sourcing the motors, in terms of electronics the circuitry is straightforward, the only mix up comes when wiring the motors.

        Harold's bots
        http://haroldsbeambugs.solarbotics.net/   scroll to end for black vermin 1.0

        Mine

        Sorry about how terrible my site is, the images are two large and the java is crap and it slows everything down.

        Does this mean you're interested in building one of these bots?

        B.R.
        Amit

        To: beam@yahoogroups.com
        From: connor_ramsey@...
        Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 04:32:08 +0000
        Subject: [beam] Some help?

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
          Well, actually, a five motor walker's not quite my level. I,m currently working on:

          JunkMan 1) A one motor two-legged walker, almost complete, and despite appearances, both the circuitry and the design are very different. The other is,

          JunkMan 2) A two motor quadruped, barely started construction. the base and shell of the bot is completed, however I'm still working on the legs. I'm putting him together from an old DVD player. Since the gears within were already adequate to drive the legs, the motors were pretty much integrated into the frame, and because it would look cool, I took out parts of the structure and JB welded them together. This thing has already put on a pound, and it's nowhere near done.

          I have no problem with motors. Both these DVD players have rewarded me greatly, including six identical, very powerful motors from the both. On top of that, I have plenty of those 35 milliamp motors, and three of those enormous Hobby Lobby motors. Those have some JUICE in them! Also, I have an even bigger motor, my biggest and meanest, from a video rewinder, and my second largest from a broken outdoor heli.

          And about Walkman Solar, I can certainly use a type 3 SE instead, and those two circles in the middle of the bio map ARE the motors, the top one is labeled L for lift and the bottom is labeled D for drive.

          What I want to do with the Walkman Solar circuit is make an extremely small version, my goal is under and inch.

          The JunkMen are actually my first true biomorphs. the first "robots" I ever built included a vibrobot named Mosquito, and it was nothing more than a walgreens electric toothbrush with the head broken off, leaving the rotor behind, hot glued onto a nailbrush. It's currently broken. The other was a turbot built out of K'nex, the body being a K'nex motor from a roller coaster set. I still have it. These two aren't, in my eyes, truly BEAM, so I don't count them.
        • Amit Tiwari-Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
            " and about Walkman Solar, I can certainly use a type 3 SE instead, and those two circles in the middle of the bio map ARE the motors, the top one is labeled L for lift and the bottom is labeled D for drive."

            Hahah, I didn't even see those, or i suppose i saw what i wanted to see. You might find this link a bit useful:

            Good luck and best regards,
            Amit

            To: beam@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
              Well, I went to the link, and ended up looking at the 74** family article. I found out that almost all of the chips I've salvaged are LS, rendering them useless for anything solar. So I'm using a 74LS04N for the JunkMen, since I won't need to use drivers. All my transistors and my 7405N, however, are reserved for solar bots, and even though the latter is considered obsolete, I haven't seen "obsolete" and "useless" together in the thesaurus lately. And a personal perk for using LSs' is that I have an abundance of resistors that are way too small for normal BEAM usage, as well as filter caps that are way to big. These were described in the article as ideal for the LS series, so now I'm considerably less annoyed with their presence in place of the valued 1Ks and 104s.
            • connor_ramsey@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
                "Well, I went to the link, and ended up looking at the 74** family article. I found out that almost all of the chips I've salvaged are LS, rendering them useless for anything solar. So I'm using a 74LS04N for the JunkMen, since I won't need to use drivers."

                Actually, the 7405N is just as bad as the LSs when it comes to voltage, but it does draw a lot less current, perfect for driving JunkMan 1's motor. I think maybe I could use a solar engine to power an LS driven bot, if I use the Cloroplast engine.

                JunkMan 2's completion is quite a while away, but I've decided to use a 74LS04N for the N/2 brain, and an LM2902N quad op-amp pulled from the electrical system of my dad's car(not what it sounds like, folks). The quad is going to be an op-amp based Nv net.

                Oh, and I want to use a master-master setup for both JunkMen. As the oscillators compete for dominance over each other, I expect some very interesting emergent behaviors to occur from both.