Fwd: Solar Powered Theremin

  • Lou Dean
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2012

      Hi All,

      I am hoping someone will be able to help me!

      I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday.  I have the instructions from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or alternative 13811 shown on the diagram).  I found one company that did sell them but not anymore!

      Is there something else that can be used?  I really know nothing about this sort of thing so any help would be awesome!

      Cheers,

      Lou

    • Damian Stewart (ML)
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2012
        On 10.05.2012, at 12:06, Lou Dean wrote:

        > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday. I have the instructions from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or alternative 13811 shown on the diagram). I found one company that did sell them but not anymore!

        that chip is a voltage detector. no-one seems to make through-hole versions any more, there's only SMD (but SMD's are surprisingly easy to solder!)

        note that i don't have experience with this exactly, but one of these (such as the first one) should do the trick:

        http://at.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Voltage-Detectors-Monitors/_/N-wnwi?P=1z0y3lsZ1z0vm7gZ1z0k0qqZ1z0k0n0Z1z0vlvnZ1z0k0myZ1z0j9s1Z1z0vm79Z1z0vmfuZ1z0vm78Z1z0k0mxZ1z0w7ywZ1z0vmft

        cheers
        damian
        --
        damian stewart . creative code
        http://damianstewart.com . twitter @damian0815
        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2012
          Hi Damien,

          Thanks for this!

          The link you posted just brought up a blank page!  Do you have the part number there?

          Cheers,

          Lou

          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2012
            oh, sorry about that.

            the part i was looking at was the ON semiconductor NCP301 Voltage Detector with open drain output, with the detection voltage at around 2.2v . Probably anything between 2.0 and 2.4 is acceptable here -- this component simply opens the discharge circuit once the capacitor reaches the set voltage, so lower voltages will lead to higher frequencies.

            cheers

            On 10.05.2012, at 14:39, Lou Dean wrote:

            > Hi Damien,
            >
            > Thanks for this!
            >
            > The link you posted just brought up a blank page! Do you have the part number there?
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Lou
            >
            > On 10 May 2012 14:13, Damian Stewart (ML) <damian.ml@...> wrote:
            > On 10.05.2012, at 12:06, Lou Dean wrote:
            >
            > > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday. I have the instructions from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or alternative 13811 shown on the diagram). I found one company that did sell them but not anymore!
            >
            > that chip is a voltage detector. no-one seems to make through-hole versions any more, there's only SMD (but SMD's are surprisingly easy to solder!)
            >
            > note that i don't have experience with this exactly, but one of these (such as the first one) should do the trick:
            >
            > http://at.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Voltage-Detectors-Monitors/_/N-wnwi?P=1z0y3lsZ1z0vm7gZ1z0k0qqZ1z0k0n0Z1z0vlvnZ1z0k0myZ1z0j9s1Z1z0vm79Z1z0vmfuZ1z0vm78Z1z0k0mxZ1z0w7ywZ1z0vmft
            >
            > cheers
            > damian
            > --
            > damian stewart . creative code
            > http://damianstewart.com . twitter @damian0815

          • Michael Demaddis
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2012
              Hi what exactly is a Theramin?

              -Michael

              the part i was looking at was the ON semiconductor NCP301 Voltage Detector with open drain output, with the detection voltage at around 2.2v . Probably anything between 2.0 and 2.4 is acceptable here -- this component simply opens the discharge circuit once the capacitor reaches the set voltage, so lower voltages will lead to higher frequencies.

              cheers
              damian stewart . creative code
              http://damianstewart.com . twitter @damian0815

              On 10.05.2012, at 14:39, Lou Dean wrote:

              > Hi Damien,
              >
              > Thanks for this!
              >
              > The link you posted just brought up a blank page! Do you have the part number there?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Lou
              >
              > On 10 May 2012 14:13, Damian Stewart (ML) <damian.ml@...> wrote:
              > On 10.05.2012, at 12:06, Lou Dean wrote:
              >
              > > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday. I have the instructions from here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or alternative 13811 shown on the diagram). I found one company that did sell them but not anymore!
              >
              > that chip is a voltage detector. no-one seems to make through-hole versions any more, there's only SMD (but SMD's are surprisingly easy to solder!)
              >
              > note that i don't have experience with this exactly, but one of these (such as the first one) should do the trick:
              >
              > http://at.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Power-Management-ICs/Voltage-Detectors-Monitors/_/N-wnwi?P=1z0y3lsZ1z0vm7gZ1z0k0qqZ1z0k0n0Z1z0vlvnZ1z0k0myZ1z0j9s1Z1z0vm79Z1z0vmfuZ1z0vm78Z1z0k0mxZ1z0w7ywZ1z0vmft
              >
              > cheers
              > damian
              > --
              > damian stewart . creative code
              > http://damianstewart.com . twitter @damian0815

            • arno_brosi
              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2012
                Try Solarbotics ,they sell them:

                http://www.solarbotics.com/product/1381/

                regards,Arno
                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Lou Dean <moonweazel@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I am hoping someone will be able to help me!
                >
                > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday. I
                > have the instructions from here (
                > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I
                > can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or
                > alternative 13811 shown on the diagram). I found one company that did sell
                > them but not anymore!
                >
                > Is there something else that can be used? I really know nothing about this
                > sort of thing so any help would be awesome!
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Lou

              • Lou Dean
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012

                  Hey!

                  So I ordered all the bits (including the illusive bit from Canada!)

                  All was well until the company from which I had ordered the solar panel said that it was out of stock!

                  Anybody out there know where else I could try / have a spare one that they would be able to sell me?

                  Cheers!

                  Lou

                  On May 10, 2012 5:59 PM, "arno_brosi" <arnobrosi@...> wrote:
                  Try Solarbotics ,they sell them:

                  http://www.solarbotics.com/product/1381/

                  regards,Arno
                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Lou Dean <moonweazel@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > I am hoping someone will be able to help me!
                  >
                  > I really want to make a solar powered theremin for a friend's birthday.  I
                  > have the instructions from here (
                  > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kinetic-arts/sculpture/gallery7/1.htm) but I
                  > can't find one of the components - the voltage detector IC (the 1381 or
                  > alternative 13811 shown on the diagram).  I found one company that did sell
                  > them but not anymore!
                  >
                  > Is there something else that can be used?  I really know nothing about this
                  > sort of thing so any help would be awesome!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Lou

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     beam-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     beam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Duane C. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2012
                    Lou Dean wrote:

                    > Hey!

                    > So I ordered all the bits (including the illusive bit from Canada!)

                    > All was well until the company from which I had ordered the solar
                    panel said that it was out of stock!

                    > Anybody out there know where else I could try / have a spare one that
                    they would be able to sell me?

                    > Cheers!

                    > Lou

                    Digikey sells it: