XOR Logic gate Woes

  • nakazoto_fc
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 9:16 AM
      Howdy all!

      For my next project, I'm kind of in a mental pickle, haha.  I have two signals coming out of my NV net.  I would like to invert one of the signals based on the input of a third signal (from a detection sensor).  The trick is, I want the other signal to be unaffected as well as the time constant.

      So, for example let's say Sig3 is low, I want Sig1 and Sig2 to look like this:
      Hi - Lo
      Hi - Hi
      Lo - Hi
      Lo - Lo
      Repeat

      If Sig3 goes high, I want Sig1 and Sig2 to look like this:
      Hi - Hi
      Hi - Lo
      Lo - Lo
      Lo - Hi
      Repeat

      The best way I found to do this was using an XOR logic gate, much like this one (from this page: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Making_Gates ):

      My problem is, no matter how many times I try, I just can't get it to work right.  I've been testing it on a separate breadboard completely disconnected from my circuit (using an LED to show me the output) and either my LED comes on all the time, doesn't come on at all, comes on half bright, skives off to the kitchen to steal my beers, goes to the bar to hit on those sexy green LEDs (and promptly gets kicked out by the bouncer IR LEDs), or any manner of behavior other than what it is supposed to be doing.  I'm sure I'm missing something incredibly simple like my resistors are all wrong or something.

      Any advice on how to either achieve the logic sequence I need without an XOR setup or on how to make this one work would be greatly appreciated!
      (It should be noted that I've tried about 3 other discrete XOR gates with no luck either.  I mean, I usually suck at breadboarding stuff, but I built, tore down and rebuilt each circuit at least 3 times over the past couple of days.)

      Thanks guys!
      Cheers
      David