Cool blocks

  • gord_1812
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2012
      Hi All
      Haven't been around for a while but have to share this .
      http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/video/2012/01/04/cubelets-makes-high-tech-tools-available-to-eight-year-olds

      Looks a lot like what Mark had in mind when he started BEAM
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
        Hello Gord,

        Long time, no see! Are you still doing reenactments? Anything planned for this coming summer?

        Nice find on the blocks.

        Wolfgang

        On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM, gord_1812 <gord_1812@...> wrote:

        Hi All
        Haven't been around for a while but have to share this .
        http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/video/2012/01/04/cubelets-makes-high-tech-tools-available-to-eight-year-olds

        Looks a lot like what Mark had in mind when he started BEAM

      • Tom Gray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
          Yes, I think that sort of integration was the idea of the hextiles.

          The cubelets seem to prevent a fairly simple, manipulative and intuitive.   But at $520 for a set of 20, they're most suitable for private schools, rich kids, and yuppies.

          Keep BEAMing and dreaming
          Tom
        • Tom Gray
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
            I spent a little time on the cubelets site, and for what you pay the blocks are extremely limited.  To reverse drive direction, you need to unplug the drive cubelet, rotate it 180 degrees, and plug it back in.  So you can't even build a robot that will reverse or steer away from a wall.  I suppose that an alternative would be to add a rotating cubelet atop the drive cubelet, for an additional $25 per drive.

            The manufacturers promise blue-tooth programmable cubelets by next year.  And while that will fix some of the problems with the initial blocks, it will also add a higher level of complexity that detract from the concept.

            As I said earlier, a toy only for the rich.