Self introduction and my bots!

  • nakazoto_fc
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hello all!

      This would be my first post, so I figured it would best be spent introducing myself!  (It should be noted that I'm new to this whole Yahoo Groups thing, so if this post goes completely awry I apologize!)  My name's David and I have essentially two hobbies: restoring classic cars and robots.  I was very interested in BEAM robotics a few years ago and then I fell out of touch with them for a while.  This last winter I picked up the soldering iron again and dove in headfirst!

      I started off with the familiar, the FRED Photopopper.  I built three of these, all of which can be seen here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopoppers

      Then I moved on to a Symet (which is rocking eight capacitors and the EZSE) which can be seen here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet

      My most recent concoction is a crawler built using Wilf's uCrawler as a design template.  I added some solar cells and a circuit with an LDR to stop the bot in bright sunlight and let it charge the batteries up.  When the light fades out or a shadow gets in the way, the bot starts walking along searching for the bright sunlight again!  Tons of pictures and the full story here (there's 3 pages, so make sure you click through to the third page to see the completed bot):
      https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-solar-1

      Thank you guys for keeping the BEAM robotics community alive as this place has been an excellent resource!  I hope I can integrate into the community and potentially become a regular contributor.

      Thanks for looking guys!
      Cheers
      David
    • ecraib
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
        Touring this project was a great way to start the day. I appreciate your concern with beam aesthetics! :-)
        Emma

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "nakazoto_fc" <nakazoto_fc@...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > This would be my first post, so I figured it would best be spent
        > introducing myself! (It should be noted that I'm new to this whole
        > Yahoo Groups thing, so if this post goes completely awry I apologize!)
        > My name's David and I have essentially two hobbies: restoring classic
        > cars and robots. I was very interested in BEAM robotics a few years ago
        > and then I fell out of touch with them for a while. This last winter I
        > picked up the soldering iron again and dove in headfirst!
        >
        > I started off with the familiar, the FRED Photopopper. I built three of
        > these, all of which can be seen here:
        > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopopp\
        > ers
        > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopop\
        > pers>
        >
        > Then I moved on to a Symet (which is rocking eight capacitors and the
        > EZSE) which can be seen here:
        > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet
        > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet>
        >
        > My most recent concoction is a crawler built using Wilf's uCrawler as a
        > design template. I added some solar cells and a circuit with an LDR to
        > stop the bot in bright sunlight and let it charge the batteries up.
        > When the light fades out or a shadow gets in the way, the bot starts
        > walking along searching for the bright sunlight again! Tons of pictures
        > and the full story here (there's 3 pages, so make sure you click through
        > to the third page to see the completed bot):
        > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-sol\
        > ar-1
        > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-so\
        > lar-1>
        >
        > Thank you guys for keeping the BEAM robotics community alive as this
        > place has been an excellent resource! I hope I can integrate into the
        > community and potentially become a regular contributor.
        >
        > Thanks for looking guys!
        > Cheers
        > David

      • sweetriffs44
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
          Wow dude nice robots, and nice cars! I'm very impressed that you knew how to wire two 555's as inverters! I can't do that, all I can do is follow a diagram, since i have no clue what is actually happening in the circuit. You must have quite some experience and intelligence, and looking at your fairladyZ restoration I was impressed! Just replacing the clutch in my truck is a nightmare for me, I can't imagine taking a whole car apart and putting it back together!
          I hope to see more of your robotic creations in the future!
        • arno_brosi
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
            Hello,
            and welcome to the group!

            Great looking bots you have there.I especially like your 8 capacitor symet.I have to steal that idea and build one myself one of these days.Also really good work on the walker.I would be interested to say a video of it.....Looking forward to see more of your bots.

            best wishes,Arno

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "nakazoto_fc" <nakazoto_fc@...> wrote:

            > Hello all!
            >
            > This would be my first post, so I figured it would best be spent
            > introducing myself! (It should be noted that I'm new to this whole
            > Yahoo Groups thing, so if this post goes completely awry I apologize!)
            > My name's David and I have essentially two hobbies: restoring classic
            > cars and robots. I was very interested in BEAM robotics a few years ago
            > and then I fell out of touch with them for a while. This last winter I
            > picked up the soldering iron again and dove in headfirst!
            >
            > I started off with the familiar, the FRED Photopopper. I built three of
            > these, all of which can be seen here:
            > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopopp\
            > ers
            > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopop\
            > pers>
            >
            > Then I moved on to a Symet (which is rocking eight capacitors and the
            > EZSE) which can be seen here:
            > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet
            > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet>
            >
            > My most recent concoction is a crawler built using Wilf's uCrawler as a
            > design template. I added some solar cells and a circuit with an LDR to
            > stop the bot in bright sunlight and let it charge the batteries up.
            > When the light fades out or a shadow gets in the way, the bot starts
            > walking along searching for the bright sunlight again! Tons of pictures
            > and the full story here (there's 3 pages, so make sure you click through
            > to the third page to see the completed bot):
            > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-sol\
            > ar-1
            > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-so\
            > lar-1>
            >
            > Thank you guys for keeping the BEAM robotics community alive as this
            > place has been an excellent resource! I hope I can integrate into the
            > community and potentially become a regular contributor.
            >
            > Thanks for looking guys!
            > Cheers
            > David

          • nakazoto_fc
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
              Thanks a lot!
              I think aesthetics is one of the things that makes BEAM so amazing! A box on wheels with all the functionality in the world is cool, but a bot with less functionality that looks awesome is even cooler in my book, haha.

              Cheers
              David

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "ecraib" <ecraib@...> wrote:

              > Touring this project was a great way to start the day. I appreciate your concern with beam aesthetics! :-)
              > Emma
              >
              > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "nakazoto_fc" <nakazoto_fc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all!
              > >
              > > This would be my first post, so I figured it would best be spent
              > > introducing myself! (It should be noted that I'm new to this whole
              > > Yahoo Groups thing, so if this post goes completely awry I apologize!)
              > > My name's David and I have essentially two hobbies: restoring classic
              > > cars and robots. I was very interested in BEAM robotics a few years ago
              > > and then I fell out of touch with them for a while. This last winter I
              > > picked up the soldering iron again and dove in headfirst!
              > >
              > > I started off with the familiar, the FRED Photopopper. I built three of
              > > these, all of which can be seen here:
              > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopopp\
              > > ers
              > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopop\
              > > pers>
              > >
              > > Then I moved on to a Symet (which is rocking eight capacitors and the
              > > EZSE) which can be seen here:
              > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet
              > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet>
              > >
              > > My most recent concoction is a crawler built using Wilf's uCrawler as a
              > > design template. I added some solar cells and a circuit with an LDR to
              > > stop the bot in bright sunlight and let it charge the batteries up.
              > > When the light fades out or a shadow gets in the way, the bot starts
              > > walking along searching for the bright sunlight again! Tons of pictures
              > > and the full story here (there's 3 pages, so make sure you click through
              > > to the third page to see the completed bot):
              > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-sol\
              > > ar-1
              > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-so\
              > > lar-1>
              > >
              > > Thank you guys for keeping the BEAM robotics community alive as this
              > > place has been an excellent resource! I hope I can integrate into the
              > > community and potentially become a regular contributor.
              > >
              > > Thanks for looking guys!
              > > Cheers
              > > David

            • nakazoto_fc
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
                Thank you very much!

                I can't take too much credit, the 555 timer idea came straight from BEAM wiki. I don't really know what goes on inside the circuits, but once I learned what all the inputs and outputs are supposed to do, it was just a matter of constructing the whole thing on a breadboard, which still took me two weeks to get right, haha.

                I really want to get back to work on my Fairlady Z restoration, but it's clean back in Texas and I'm currently in Japan! I did have a lot of fun restoring the diminutive Mitsubishi 360, though! I need to get more work done on my Isuzu Bellet as well. Too many projects and not enough time, haha.

                My next robotic project will use the 555 timer as a PWM servo controller. Prototyped this circuit () just a few minutes ago and it works amazingly well! Just gotta think of a cool way to package batteries and the servos into a walker design that has more than two legs.

                Thanks again for the kind words!
                Cheers
                David

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Thanks for the warm welcome!

                  Thanks for the kind words and feel free to use the Symet design! It might actually have worked better if I had used the EZSE v.1 with the adjustable pot and used that to fine tune the circuit. Either way, I'm still pretty happy with the way the bot turned out!

                  Thanks for the comments on the walker too! I was surprised at how well it moves! I fully intend on taking videos of all my bots, but the only camera I have that takes decent video is a GoPro (which means full HD) and it doesn't handle indoors so well. So, I'm waiting for the rain to let up and the sun to come out so I can take them all out get good videos!

                  Thanks again!
                  Cheers
                  David

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "arno_brosi" <arnobrosi@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  > and welcome to the group!
                  >
                  > Great looking bots you have there.I especially like your 8 capacitor symet.I have to steal that idea and build one myself one of these days.Also really good work on the walker.I would be interested to say a video of it.....Looking forward to see more of your bots.
                  >
                  > best wishes,Arno
                  >
                  > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "nakazoto_fc" <nakazoto_fc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello all!
                  > >
                  > > This would be my first post, so I figured it would best be spent
                  > > introducing myself! (It should be noted that I'm new to this whole
                  > > Yahoo Groups thing, so if this post goes completely awry I apologize!)
                  > > My name's David and I have essentially two hobbies: restoring classic
                  > > cars and robots. I was very interested in BEAM robotics a few years ago
                  > > and then I fell out of touch with them for a while. This last winter I
                  > > picked up the soldering iron again and dove in headfirst!
                  > >
                  > > I started off with the familiar, the FRED Photopopper. I built three of
                  > > these, all of which can be seen here:
                  > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopopp\
                  > > ers
                  > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/photopop\
                  > > pers>
                  > >
                  > > Then I moved on to a Symet (which is rocking eight capacitors and the
                  > > EZSE) which can be seen here:
                  > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet
                  > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/symet>
                  > >
                  > > My most recent concoction is a crawler built using Wilf's uCrawler as a
                  > > design template. I added some solar cells and a circuit with an LDR to
                  > > stop the bot in bright sunlight and let it charge the batteries up.
                  > > When the light fades out or a shadow gets in the way, the bot starts
                  > > walking along searching for the bright sunlight again! Tons of pictures
                  > > and the full story here (there's 3 pages, so make sure you click through
                  > > to the third page to see the completed bot):
                  > > https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-sol\
                  > > ar-1
                  > > <https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-so\
                  > > lar-1>
                  > >
                  > > Thank you guys for keeping the BEAM robotics community alive as this
                  > > place has been an excellent resource! I hope I can integrate into the
                  > > community and potentially become a regular contributor.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for looking guys!
                  > > Cheers
                  > > David

                • Sweet Riffs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Wow I would love to get the schematic on that since 555's are so readily available, although I do have some 74ac240's and others laying around. If you can post any walker schematics or links I would appreciate it! I have one walker under my belt (the one from the junkbots books) but for some reason walker schematics seem to be quite elusive on the internet.
                  • nakazoto_fc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Good morning!

                      Thanks for the reply!
                      I actually have a schematic I drew up in LTSPiceIV (it doesn't actually work in a simulation sense, but it is a clean looking way to draw a schematic) posted on Page 3 of the solar build thing on my website.   I'll post a link to that below.  I'll also try to post the picture directly using the proper HTML tags (it says "Most HTML is OK." at the bottom, so here's hoping it works, haha).  The idea for wiring the 555 up as a Schmitt inverter came from the beam wiki though, they have a very easy to understand schematic there as well.  A few things to note about the schematic is that LTSpiceIV doesn't have a potentiometer model, so you have to draw a potentiometer with three resistors instead.  So, "CntPot" is the 5k ohm centering pot and "SFdbk" is the feedback pot of the Servo.

                      555's are so cheap and easy to get a hold of anywhere in the world, I think every project I build from here on out will probably have at least one 555 in it, haha!

                      Also, I stumbled across a site called Costa Rica BEAM and the guy who runs that site has accumulated a huge resource of BEAM circuits!  Check it out here:
                      http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits_Main.htm

                      Here's the Beam Wiki link:
                      www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/555
                      http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Image:Schmitt_Trigger_Configuration.GIF

                      Here's the link to Page 3 of my build:
                      https://sites.google.com/site/nakazoto/robot-rapture/my-robots/crazy-solar-3

                      And finally here's my attempt at HTML coding:

                      Thanks again for the reply!
                      I hope this information helped!

                      Cheers
                      David

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Sweet Riffs <sweetriffs44@...> wrote:

                      > Wow I would love to get the schematic on that since 555's are so readily available, although I do have some 74ac240's and others laying around. If you can post any walker schematics or links I would appreciate it! I have one walker under my belt (the one from the junkbots books) but for some reason walker schematics seem to be quite elusive on the internet.

                    • David Buckley
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                        There is a new free site
                        which does online circuit simulations.
                        On the main page there is a list of Quick-Start Circuits and the top one is a 555 Timer
                        It could be good for playing with 555s or for Beam circuits in general.
                        David - robots42