Having trouble making a miller engine with alternative transistors

  • Markus Schmit
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
    Hey everybody!
    I'm just getting involved with the wonderful BEAM bots.
    The problem is that here in Germany I don't get some of the
    transistors and I have to find alternatives.
    Instead of the 2N3904 I use the BC546, for the 2N3906 I use the BC556
    and for the MN1381 I use the TC-54.
    I'm attaching the datasheets - did I get it right that I only have to
    "turn the BC556 around" so the pins fit?
    However, I don't get the Miller engine working!

    As a solar cell I use a Panasonic BP-376634 (3,4V - 30mA)
    http://shop.aaaa-electronic.de/epages/15164820.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15164820/Products/50007-002

    As capacitors I used different ones. The motor is a tiny cell-phone
    vibrating motor - I guess one of the tiniest.

    As a resistor I'm using a 2.2K.

    All in all I tried to follow these diagrams:
    http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/se_t1_1381.html

    I also uploaded some photos - maybe you can make out mistakes I made...

    Hoping for your help!

    Sebastian

  • Simon Linser
    Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      Well to me there is one problem. My miller solar engine only has one transistor to it!! I don't know which schematic you are using but in the book junk bots bug bots and bots on wheels the schematic only uses one 2n3904 or pn2222 transistor. I would check out www.taydaelectronics.com and just order some of these transistors. They are about 20 cents US a piece and they have a minimum order of $5. I'm guessing you could get as many transitors and other components as you would need to make many projects for under 10 euro!! I'm not sure about shipping costs but the company is based in thailand, they seem to have mailing centers in the US because my package came from within the US even though I payed a Thai company. Anyways I think your problem is the fact that you have two transistors.
    • arno_brosi
      Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        You must refer to this circuit:
        http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/se_t1_mse.html
        If you use the other one ,I think you need to look at the pinout of the bc546 too.Good luck.

        regards,Arno