problem with symet when using solar cells

  • Randy Swaty
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi there,
      My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending on light source.

      Where do we start troubleshooting?  Any help appreciated.

      Many thanks!
      Randy and Ry
    • chuck britton
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        Re: [beam] problem with symet when using solar cells
        Check the polarity of your solar cell.

        If it working on 2 AA's - what happens if you leave the AA's connected but put the solar cell in parallel with them?

        If it QUITS working - you've got the solar cell backwards.

        At 10:38 AM -0500 12/1/11, Randy Swaty wrote:
        Hi there,
        My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending on light source.

        Where do we start troubleshooting?  Any help appreciated.

        Many thanks!
        Randy and Ry

      • bugminer
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
          Maybe the solar cell can't supply enough current for the circuit.

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Randy Swaty <rswaty@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          > My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
          > Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA batteries, but
          > does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor cell that is pumping
          > out 3+ volts depending on light source.
          >
          > Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
          >
          > Many thanks!
          > Randy and Ry

        • David Buckley
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
            Presuming you are using the 6.7v cell unmodified, it is only good for about 20mA in bright sun, if it is only giving 3+ then it is not getting enough light.
            and the available curren will be very low.

            Maybe the solar cell can't supply enough current for the circuit.

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Randy Swaty <rswaty@...> wrote:

            > Hi there,
            > My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
            > Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA batteries, but
            > does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor cell that is pumping
            > out 3+ volts depending on light source.
            >
            > Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
            >
            > Many thanks!
            > Randy and Ry

          • William Koepp
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
              I have to agree with the other two. It does not matter how much voltage you have if you do not have the current. Voltage is just electrical pressure, Current(the flow of electrons) is what actually does the work. If you can post a photo of your symet it will help us understand the problem. As well if you soldered to cold you might have cold joints that create a resistance lowering your current to much, or you could have soldered to hot damaging components. Try and use a digital multimeter(DMM) to check the circuit voltages and ohms. if you do not know how to use one, you said you are new, then i can find and post some resources for you. Have fun and dont give up!

            • rrrooosssta
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                Hi Chuck,
                It must be something like that. We have disassembled the circuit to try to reassemble neater. We did find that the panels are cranking out 3+ volts UNTIL we hook them up to a motor, then zero. We've tried a number of motors too. They will light up a 5V flashing LED.

                Will try your idea soon.

                Thanks heaps!
                Randy

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, chuck britton <cvbritton@...> wrote:

                > Check the polarity of your solar cell.
                >
                > If it working on 2 AA's - what happens if you leave the AA's
                > connected but put the solar cell in parallel with them?
                >
                > If it QUITS working - you've got the solar cell backwards.
                >

                > At 10:38 AM -0500 12/1/11, Randy Swaty wrote:
                > >Hi there,
                > >My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
                > >Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA
                > >batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor
                > >cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending on light source.
                > >
                > >Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
                > >
                > >Many thanks!
                > >Randy and Ry

              • arno_brosi
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                  Something else you could try:there are different points on the solar cell where you can attach your motor leads.Don't know if that makes a difference though....Also I'm not sure if hooking up the motor directly to the solar cell will work.
                  Good luck!
                  regards,Arno

                  --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "rrrooosssta" <rswaty@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Chuck,
                  > It must be something like that. We have disassembled the circuit to try to reassemble neater. We did find that the panels are cranking out 3+ volts UNTIL we hook them up to a motor, then zero. We've tried a number of motors too. They will light up a 5V flashing LED.
                  >
                  > Will try your idea soon.
                  >
                  > Thanks heaps!
                  > Randy
                  >
                  > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, chuck britton <cvbritton@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Check the polarity of your solar cell.
                  > >
                  > > If it working on 2 AA's - what happens if you leave the AA's
                  > > connected but put the solar cell in parallel with them?
                  > >
                  > > If it QUITS working - you've got the solar cell backwards.
                  > >

                  > > At 10:38 AM -0500 12/1/11, Randy Swaty wrote:
                  > > >Hi there,
                  > > >My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
                  > > >Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA
                  > > >batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor
                  > > >cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending on light source.
                  > > >
                  > > >Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
                  > > >
                  > > >Many thanks!
                  > > >Randy and Ry

                • David Buckley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                    The answer is no, unless it is a very low current motor, such a s a 'solar' motor or vey low current pager motor.

                    Something else you could try:there are different points on the solar cell where you can attach your motor leads.Don't know if that makes a difference though....Also I'm not sure if hooking up the motor directly to the solar cell will work.
                    Good luck!
                    regards,Arno

                    --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "rrrooosssta" <rswaty@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Chuck,
                    > It must be something like that. We have disassembled the circuit to try to reassemble neater. We did find that the panels are cranking out 3+ volts UNTIL we hook them up to a motor, then zero. We've tried a number of motors too. They will light up a 5V flashing LED.
                    >
                    > Will try your idea soon.
                    >
                    > Thanks heaps!
                    > Randy
                    >
                    > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, chuck britton <cvbritton@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Check the polarity of your solar cell.
                    > >
                    > > If it working on 2 AA's - what happens if you leave the AA's
                    > > connected but put the solar cell in parallel with them?
                    > >
                    > > If it QUITS working - you've got the solar cell backwards.
                    > >

                    > > At 10:38 AM -0500 12/1/11, Randy Swaty wrote:
                    > > >Hi there,
                    > > >My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
                    > > >Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA
                    > > >batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor
                    > > >cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending on light source.
                    > > >
                    > > >Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
                    > > >
                    > > >Many thanks!
                    > > >Randy and Ry

                  • thehairyrock
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                      What circuit are you using for the Symet, are you using a solarengine? if so if you wired it correctly it should work with any solar cell, but don't expect it to work instantly, it needs to charge the capacitors.
                      Also please tell us which solarengine you are using or which circuit you are using for the symet.

                      P.S. A bicore will not work with a solar panel, you need a solar engine.

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, Randy Swaty <rswaty@...> wrote:

                      > Hi there,
                      > My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up the
                      > Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or 2 AA batteries, but
                      > does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm by 37mm solor cell that is pumping
                      > out 3+ volts depending on light source.
                      >
                      > Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
                      >
                      > Many thanks!
                      > Randy and Ry

                    • wrigter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2011
                        Hello Randy and Ry,

                        The problem you are dealing with is matching the power of
                        the solar cell generator to the high power motor load. Since
                        you only harvest a small ammount but continuous trickle of
                        power you need to convert this to a burst of high power.
                        Accumulate solar power alowly to energy storage, for example
                        a battery or capacitor, and when enough power has been
                        stored, connect the stored energy to the motor prducing a
                        pulse of power that can do work. This is the job of a solar
                        engine.

                        Enjoy

                        Wilf

                        >My son and I are brand new to electronics and have set up
                        >the Symet circuit on a breadboard that works well with 1 or
                        >2 AA batteries, but does not work with the Solorbotics 33mm
                        >by 37mm solor cell that is pumping out 3+ volts depending
                        >on light source.
                        >
                        >Where do we start troubleshooting? Any help appreciated.
                        >
                        >Many thanks!
                        >Randy and Ry

                      • rrrooosssta
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2011
                          Hi everyone,
                          Many thanks for all the replies!  We really appreciate it.  So this evening we finally got back to it and here's where we're at:
                          1.  nothing-no FLED light ups, no motor action
                          2.  3-6 volts at the capacitors, depending on where we have the lamp
                          3.  covered the FLED
                          4.  tried 1k, 4.7k and 10k resistors
                          5.  left the lamp (100w) close over the solar panel for minutes at a time.

                          I plan to go at it myself so I can think.  We have double checked for touching wires, etc.

                          IMG00507-20111214-2005.jpg

                          Thanks again-any ideas appreciated.  I keep reminding myself that we have to start somewhere!
                          Randy