Re: BEAM pummer

  • arno_brosi
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
      Hello Andrew!
      I have never build this particular circuit but I think that is a 10M resistor.However there are no diodes between pins 8 and 9 ,5 and 6.

      regards,Arno

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "xenonautomata" <andrew01@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone!
      > I'm Andrew and I'm from Malta. I wanted to really learn about electronic components recently, and I thought a pummer would be a good place to start (I've assembled a few circuits before, so I have experience). I started following Wilf's pummer circuit
      > (http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_pummer.html),
      > but I'm a little stuck with the pummer part. Just to confirm, the resistor between pins 8 and 9 as 10M? And diodes have to be added between pins 8 and 9, and 5 and 6? Other than that i don't think there's anything else. Thanks in advance for your help! :D

    • xenonautomata
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
        Thanks Arno!
      • chuck britton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
          Andrew has a good question that other newbies might have also.
          The schematic diagram of the 74xx14 shows two of the inverters that
          make up the circuitry inside this chip. Yes, these inverters DO
          (somewhat) resemble the diagram for a diode.

          I taught electronics for many years and STILL enjoy seeing how it
          comes across as a totally foreign language to the uninitiated!!

          At the end of each course I had an anonymous questionaire that
          included 'What did you learn in this course'. One answer was that the
          kid learned that he DIDn't want to go into Computer Engineering
          because he COULDn't keep track of all those tiny pin numbers!!

          Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.
          Practice, practice practice.
          We were ALL newbies at one time, long ago, in a land far away.
          .
          At 4:19 PM +0000 7/7/11, arno_brosi wrote:
          >Hello Andrew!
          >I have never build this particular circuit but I think that is a 10M
          >resistor.However there are no diodes between pins 8 and 9 ,5 and 6.
          >
          >regards,Arno
          >
          >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "xenonautomata" <andrew01@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello everyone!
          >> I'm Andrew and I'm from Malta. I wanted to really learn about
          >>electronic components recently, and I thought a pummer would be a
          >>good place to start (I've assembled a few circuits before, so I
          >>have experience). I started following Wilf's pummer circuit
          > > (http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_pummer.html),
          >> but I'm a little stuck with the pummer part. Just to confirm, the
          >>resistor between pins 8 and 9 as 10M? And diodes have to be added
          >>between pins 8 and 9, and 5 and 6? Other than that i don't think
          >>there's anything else. Thanks in advance for your help! :D

        • Harold Ilano
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
            Yes Andrew, Arno was right, no diodes involved in the 74HC14 IC, those are just inverter symbols of the IC, just a reference. Pins 5 and 9 are inputs and pins 6 and 8 are outputs of the said IC. Only pins 8 and 9 are the ones to be used for that pummer circuit, the rest are pins 7 and 14 for power lines (+/-) going to the SIMD1 pummer circuit.

            Harold.

            On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM, arno_brosi <arnobrosi@...> wrote:
            Hello Andrew!
            I have never build this particular circuit but I think that is a 10M resistor.However there are no diodes between pins 8 and 9 ,5 and 6.

            regards,Arno

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "xenonautomata" <andrew01@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone!
            > I'm Andrew and I'm from Malta. I wanted to really learn about electronic components recently, and I thought a pummer would be a good place to start (I've assembled a few circuits before, so I have experience). I started following Wilf's pummer circuit
            > (http://www.solarbotics.net/library/circuits/bot_pummer.html),
            > but I'm a little stuck with the pummer part. Just to confirm, the resistor between pins 8 and 9 as 10M? And diodes have to be added between pins 8 and 9, and 5 and 6? Other than that i don't think there's anything else. Thanks in advance for your help! :D

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               beam-digest@yahoogroups.com
               beam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Harold
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
                Yes Andrew, Arno was right, no diodes involved in the 74HC14 IC, those are just inverter symbols of the IC, just a reference. Pins 5 and 9 are inputs and pins 6 and 8 are outputs of the said IC. Only pins 8 and 9 are the ones to be used for that pummer circuit, the rest are pins 7 and 14 for power lines (+/-) going to the SIMD1 pummer circuit.

                Harold.

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "xenonautomata" <andrew01@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Arno!

              • Harold
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
                    Thanks for the info!
                    I was also wondering, if I wanted more LEDs, I can connect them in parallel to the original one? And for LEDs that are not quite in sync with the others, I can create another pummer circuit and join it to the 2V pin and ground?