SIMD1 V2

  • M.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      I'm trying to SIMD1 V2 to work.

      1. I've replaced the "load" with an NPN transistor switch that activates a small inductive load, i.e. I've attached the inductive load between the collector and Vcc and have grounded the emitter.

      2. My understanding of the SIMD1 V2 is that when the solar cell is illuminated the voltage at the base of my transistor switch or "enable" is low (zero) and when the cell is shadowed enable goes high (to Vcc).

      3. I've verified that the circuit is behaving like in #2.

      4. The problem is that when the switch turns-on the collector current is so low my load just sits there, i.e. doesn't get activated.

      5. I need a way to increase the base current in order to increase the collector current.

      6. I've tried decreasing the the 1M "pull-up" resistor to give me larger base current with no success.

      7. I've tried replacing my NPN switch with a MOSFET to eliminate need for any base/gate current to no effect.

      Any suggestions? Thanks!

      Matthew