Re: [beam] Nixie tubes

  • Harold Ilano
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
      Oh, I see...my bad. Hmmm.... well, you might want to post a "sample image" of the one you have there and hopefully someone in this group will give you the exact answer for it. Just keep on Googling it though... Goodluck with it!

      Regards,
      Harold.

      2011/6/14 William Koepp <william.koepp@...>

      No that one turned up as data sheets for micro controllers. If I can't find out the voltage my neighbor is going to run some tests, he is older than me and has a lot of experience with older electronics.

      William Koepp

      On Jun 13, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Harold Ilano <harold.ilano@...> wrote:

      Hi there!

      Try this one...

      http://www.alldatasheet.net/view.jsp?Searchword=LD8051

      Hope this helps. (Google some more, I'm sure you'll find exactly the one you needed).

      Regards,

          ...Harold I.

      On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM, William Koepp <william.koepp@...> wrote:
      Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.

      William Koepp

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         beam-digest@yahoogroups.com
         beam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • William Koepp

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 229 KB
        I do hope the calculator was broken...
        I collect them, so I mourn the passing of an old classic...

        Anyway, Nixie tubes do tent to run rather high voltages. I attached a
        schematic from an old ANITA calculator. It shows the Nixie tube
        counter boards. I imagine there is variance from application to
        application, but this is the oldest nixie calculator, and it has it's
        highest voltage, driving the nixie tubes at 495 volts through a 140K
        resistor to the common anode, and there is a note showing what appears
        to be 262 volts after the diode. It's kinda unclear, but this
        schematic is the quickest I have to show off the basics. Not sure what
        the cathodes are being driven at. This circuit uses neon filled tubes
        as stages in a decade counter. They are driven at -125 volts, and use
        a 20 volt pulse for stepping, but I don't know how much of that hits
        each cathode.

        Begin forwarded message:
        > From: William Koepp <william.koepp@...>
        > Date: June 13, 2011 11:24:12 AM CDT
        > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [beam] Nixie tubes
        >

        > Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of
        > an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout
        > but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for
        > data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and
        > not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So
        > please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.
        >
        > William Koepp

      • William Koepp
        Message 4 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
          Mine aren't the neon tube kind and I'm pretty sure they run at a lot lower voltage than that. I believe they are gonna run some where from 75 to 95 volts. No the calculator wasn't broke but it was not something in the collector category. I'm using majority of the parts to make a retro style keypad lock. The calculator though had no indications anywhere on it that even so much as hinted to the voltage rating. Aside from it being a wall plug kind.

          William Koepp

          On Jun 13, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:

          I do hope the calculator was broken...
          I collect them, so I mourn the passing of an old classic...

          Anyway, Nixie tubes do tent to run rather high voltages. I attached a
          schematic from an old ANITA calculator. It shows the Nixie tube
          counter boards. I imagine there is variance from application to
          application, but this is the oldest nixie calculator, and it has it's
          highest voltage, driving the nixie tubes at 495 volts through a 140K
          resistor to the common anode, and there is a note showing what appears
          to be 262 volts after the diode. It's kinda unclear, but this
          schematic is the quickest I have to show off the basics. Not sure what
          the cathodes are being driven at. This circuit uses neon filled tubes
          as stages in a decade counter. They are driven at -125 volts, and use
          a 20 volt pulse for stepping, but I don't know how much of that hits
          each cathode.

          Begin forwarded message:
          > From: William Koepp <william.koepp@...>
          > Date: June 13, 2011 11:24:12 AM CDT
          > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [beam] Nixie tubes
          >

          > Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of
          > an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout
          > but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for
          > data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and
          > not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So
          > please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.
          >
          > William Koepp

        • David Buckley
          Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
            There are ld8051 and equivalents for sale on ebay with some data.
            There are lots of sites with data on similar tubes.
            Most tubes that size seem to have similar max voltages and current.
            DAvid

            Message 6 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
              The voltages I saw were about 120 with series resistors and max curent about 50mA.
              But you need to look yourself to be certain.
              DAvid

              Mine aren't the neon tube kind and I'm pretty sure they run at a lot lower voltage than that. I believe they are gonna run some where from 75 to 95 volts. No the calculator wasn't broke but it was not something in the collector category. I'm using majority of the parts to make a retro style keypad lock. The calculator though had no indications anywhere on it that even so much as hinted to the voltage rating. Aside from it being a wall plug kind.

              William Koepp

              On Jun 13, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:

              I do hope the calculator was broken...
              I collect them, so I mourn the passing of an old classic...

              Anyway, Nixie tubes do tent to run rather high voltages. I attached a
              schematic from an old ANITA calculator. It shows the Nixie tube
              counter boards. I imagine there is variance from application to
              application, but this is the oldest nixie calculator, and it has it's
              highest voltage, driving the nixie tubes at 495 volts through a 140K
              resistor to the common anode, and there is a note showing what appears
              to be 262 volts after the diode. It's kinda unclear, but this
              schematic is the quickest I have to show off the basics. Not sure what
              the cathodes are being driven at. This circuit uses neon filled tubes
              as stages in a decade counter. They are driven at -125 volts, and use
              a 20 volt pulse for stepping, but I don't know how much of that hits
              each cathode.

              Begin forwarded message:
              > From: William Koepp <william.koepp@...>
              > Date: June 13, 2011 11:24:12 AM CDT
              > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [beam] Nixie tubes
              >

              > Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of
              > an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout
              > but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for
              > data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and
              > not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So
              > please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.
              >
              > William Koepp

            • William Koepp
              Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 2011
                Ok thanks.

                William Koepp

                On Jun 13, 2011, at 5:11 PM, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

                The voltages I saw were about 120 with series resistors and max curent about 50mA.
                But you need to look yourself to be certain.
                DAvid

                Mine aren't the neon tube kind and I'm pretty sure they run at a lot lower voltage than that. I believe they are gonna run some where from 75 to 95 volts. No the calculator wasn't broke but it was not something in the collector category. I'm using majority of the parts to make a retro style keypad lock. The calculator though had no indications anywhere on it that even so much as hinted to the voltage rating. Aside from it being a wall plug kind.

                William Koepp

                On Jun 13, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:

                I do hope the calculator was broken...
                I collect them, so I mourn the passing of an old classic...

                Anyway, Nixie tubes do tent to run rather high voltages. I attached a
                schematic from an old ANITA calculator. It shows the Nixie tube
                counter boards. I imagine there is variance from application to
                application, but this is the oldest nixie calculator, and it has it's
                highest voltage, driving the nixie tubes at 495 volts through a 140K
                resistor to the common anode, and there is a note showing what appears
                to be 262 volts after the diode. It's kinda unclear, but this
                schematic is the quickest I have to show off the basics. Not sure what
                the cathodes are being driven at. This circuit uses neon filled tubes
                as stages in a decade counter. They are driven at -125 volts, and use
                a 20 volt pulse for stepping, but I don't know how much of that hits
                each cathode.

                Begin forwarded message:
                > From: William Koepp <william.koepp@...>
                > Date: June 13, 2011 11:24:12 AM CDT
                > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [beam] Nixie tubes
                >

                > Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of
                > an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout
                > but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for
                > data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and
                > not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So
                > please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.
                >
                > William Koepp

              • William Koepp

                  Mine aren't the neon tube kind and I'm pretty sure they run at a lot lower voltage than that. I believe they are gonna run some where from 75 to 95 volts. No the calculator wasn't broke but it was not something in the collector category. I'm using majority of the parts to make a retro style keypad lock. The calculator though had no indications anywhere on it that even so much as hinted to the voltage rating. Aside from it being a wall plug kind.

                  William Koepp

                  On Jun 13, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Richard Piotter <richfiles1@...> wrote:

                  I do hope the calculator was broken...
                  I collect them, so I mourn the passing of an old classic...

                  Anyway, Nixie tubes do tent to run rather high voltages. I attached a
                  schematic from an old ANITA calculator. It shows the Nixie tube
                  counter boards. I imagine there is variance from application to
                  application, but this is the oldest nixie calculator, and it has it's
                  highest voltage, driving the nixie tubes at 495 volts through a 140K
                  resistor to the common anode, and there is a note showing what appears
                  to be 262 volts after the diode. It's kinda unclear, but this
                  schematic is the quickest I have to show off the basics. Not sure what
                  the cathodes are being driven at. This circuit uses neon filled tubes
                  as stages in a decade counter. They are driven at -125 volts, and use
                  a 20 volt pulse for stepping, but I don't know how much of that hits
                  each cathode.

                  Begin forwarded message:
                  > From: William Koepp <william.koepp@...>
                  > Date: June 13, 2011 11:24:12 AM CDT
                  > To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [beam] Nixie tubes
                  >

                  > Ok I need a bit of help. I pulled some nec ld8051 nixie tubes out of
                  > an old calculator. By looking at it iv figured out the pin layout
                  > but I just don't know what the voltage should be. Iv searched for
                  > data sheets but can't find one. I want to be careful with these and
                  > not accedently burn them out as how they are hard to come by. So
                  > please if any one knows the voltage on these please respond. Thanks.
                  >
                  > William Koepp

                • Manfred Schaffran
                  Message 9 of 17 , Jun 14, 2011
                    Hi,

                    i think the LD8051 is not a nixie tube but a VFD( = vacuum fluorescent display).
                    Take a look at

                    and

                    Message 10 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                      Yes you are right in that it is a VFD. Sense all that is a little before my time I have a tendency to refer to all display tubes as nixie tubes. I'm sorry if I cause any confusion with that.

                      William Koepp
                    • chuck britton
                      Message 11 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                        VFD's are 'new-fangled' gizmo's.
                        Seven Segment devices.

                        The Nixie's were WAY more 'sophisticated' (?!).
                        Each Nixie tube contained all ten digits - each digit nicely rounded
                        for easy recognition.
                        They were stacked front to back, one on top of another.
                        There were ten cathode wires - one for each digit - and one common anode.
                        They were filled with neon gas and had that nice orange glow around
                        whichever digit was activated.

                        (Note - I may have mixed up the words anode & cathode.
                        Chemists & I disagree occasionally.
                        Anode = + and cathode = - in this context.)

                        At 8:32 AM -0500 6/15/11, William Koepp wrote:
                        >Yes you are right in that it is a VFD. Sense all that is a little
                        >before my time I have a tendency to refer to all display tubes as
                        >nixie tubes. I'm sorry if I cause any confusion with that.
                        >
                        >William Koepp
                      • William Koepp
                        Message 12 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                          Yea my neighbor has some actual nixie tubes and they are really sweet. I'm hoping I might stumble across some while going to garage sales. Most VFD's are even before me. I was born in 87. I love the older stuff though. Even though it's a little more complex you couldn't beat the aweing look that it gives.

                          William Koepp
                        • William Koepp
                          Message 13 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                            Oh forgot to mention. The tubes I got have 11 wires. 2 for the heater element(1v), 1 for the screen(10v), and 8 for the segments and decimal(10-15v). They work real nice and the segments give off a blue hue.
                            As well does anyone might know the value of these? Iv noticed NEC stuff seems to have a lot of people that collect it. I know the Russian equal IV-3 is common but so far I haven't seen any actual NEC LD8051 on sale. The Russian ones are cheap but yet again they are common. Any word will be nice.

                            William Koepp
                          • Richard Piotter
                            Message 14 of 17 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Eyup...

                              Nixies vs VFD are quite different.

                              You'll find it much easier to achieve the voltages required for VFD
                              tubes than you would have required for Nixies!

                              I have a couple russian calculators in my collection, and all of the
                              VFD tubes are still nice and bright in them, despite being made in the
                              mid 1970s to late 80s. Only trouble I ever had with a russian VFD was
                              the calculator I knocked on the floor... 5 minutes after first getting
                              it in the mail, having shipped all the way from the Ukraine... in an
                              envelope... Safely... Face palms...

                              It took forever to get the replacement tube, but it was dirt cheap,
                              and easy to install.

                              Being a new tube, it is as brilliant as any I'd ever seen. If I recall
                              it was an IV-18 possibly, which has a total of eight 7 segment
                              numerals, with decimals and a - and o at the end, all mounted in a
                              long round tube.

                              Aside from the shipping times, I've not had issues with Russian tubes.

                              Richard