Re: [beam] Capacitive proximity sensor

  • Frankendaddy
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2011
      This is similar to my design from 1998. Mine uses the chip's tendancy for the other schmitt triggers to follow a driven oscillator. I am currently working on an article for the BEAM timeline on this design.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2011
        --- Frankendaddy wrote:
        > This is similar to my design from 1998. Mine uses the chip's tendancy for the other schmitt triggers to follow a driven oscillator. I am currently working on an article for the BEAM timeline on this design.

        I was going to point out the similarity to your circuit too.

        I wish I had the ability to experiment with a few modifications that I can already see that I think would make this circuit more BEAMish.
      • Frankendaddy
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2011
          What ideas do you have, Cliff? I can take some time at work to fiddle around...
          > This is similar to my design from 1998. Mine uses the chip's tendancy for the other schmitt triggers to follow a driven oscillator. I am currently working on an article for the BEAM timeline on this design.

          I was going to point out the similarity to your circuit too.

          I wish I had the ability to experiment with a few modifications that I can already see that I think would make this circuit more BEAMish.

        • Droidmakr
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2011
            Frankendaddy wrote:
            > What ideas do you have, Cliff? I can take some time at work to fiddle around...

            I just uploaded a quickly thrown together schematic of what I had in mind. I was thinking that by adding something like this to each side of a robot, you could make it move away from (or towards, depending on how you connect it) an obstacle senses by the circuit.

            It might also be possible to mount the sensor pointing forward, and use th circuit in place of the first half of Wilf's BEAM Sonic circuit. It could then beep or do something else if it detected an obstaqcle in its path was too close.

            Just a couple of thoughts I had off the top of my head when I first saw it.

            Enjoy the day,
            Cliff
          • Droidmakr
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2011
              Opps, for got to mention, this idea would have to be adapted slightly for use with Wilf's BEAM Sonics

              And that the vlaues listed light have to be tweeked to accomplish what I suggested.

              So long...
            • Droidmakr
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                Here isthe link to the schematic:

                --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Droidmakr" <droidmakr@...> wrote:

                > Frankendaddy wrote:
                > > What ideas do you have, Cliff? I can take some time at work to fiddle around...
                >
                > I just uploaded a quickly thrown together schematic of what I had in mind. I was thinking that by adding something like this to each side of a robot, you could make it move away from (or towards, depending on how you connect it) an obstacle senses by the circuit.
                >
                > It might also be possible to mount the sensor pointing forward, and use th circuit in place of the first half of Wilf's BEAM Sonic circuit. It could then beep or do something else if it detected an obstaqcle in its path was too close.
                >
                > Just a couple of thoughts I had off the top of my head when I first saw it.
                >
                > Enjoy the day,
                > Cliff

              • wrigter
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                  Here is another circuit that can be adapted to proximity
                  sensing. It uses the same principle comparing a variable RC
                  Time Constant with a fixed RC TC reference but senses
                  changes in resistance instead of capacitance.

                  From: Droidmakr <droidmakr@...>
                  To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [beam] Re: Capacitive proximity sensor
                  Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 17:44:05 +0000

                  >Here isthe link to the schematic:

                  >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Droidmakr" <droidmakr@...>
                  >>wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Frankendaddy wrote:
                  >> > What ideas do you have, Cliff? I can take some time at
                  >> work to fiddle around...
                  >> I just uploaded a quickly thrown together schematic of
                  >what I had in mind. I was thinking that by adding
                  >something like this to each side of a robot, you could make
                  >it move away from (or towards, depending on how you connect
                  >> it) an obstacle senses by the circuit.
                  >> It might also be possible to mount the sensor pointing
                  >forward, and use th circuit in place of the first half of
                  >Wilf's BEAM Sonic circuit. It could then beep or do
                  >something else if it detected an obstaqcle in its path was
                  >> too close.
                  >> Just a couple of thoughts I had off the top of my head
                  >> when I first saw it.
                  >> Enjoy the day,
                  >> Cliff

                • wrigter
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                    Here is a better candidate for adaptation

                    From: wrigter <wrigter@...>
                    To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:16:12 -0800

                    >Here is another circuit that can be adapted to proximity
                    >sensing. It uses the same principle comparing a variable
                    >RC Time Constant with a fixed RC TC reference but senses
                    >changes in resistance instead of capacitance.
                    >
                    >wilf

                  • wrigter
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2011
                      Here is a better candidate for adaptation

                      From: wrigter <wrigter@...>
                      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 12:16:12 -0800