BEAM Timeline

  • Droidmakr
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2011
      Well I have gotten a small start on the BEAM Timeline.

      Check it out at: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/BEAM_Timeline

      Please let me know if you find any errors or other problems with it

      I am still seeking a lot of information such as when the miller walker tutorial was first posted.

      I am also seeking any descriptions, schematics, mechanical diagrams, photos etc. of Mark Tildens robots.

      Also, please let me know if there is anything that you think shoule be listed as part of the timeline.

      Thanks in advance for any help or input.
    • Droidmakr
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 20, 2011
        Up to 61 entries on the BEAM Timeline.

        Check it out at: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/BEAM_Timeline

        I would really appreciate any input about the appearance, usability, the links, what items, events, inventions are considered a must to be added, etc.

        - Does anyone know when the acronym BEAM was first coined?
        - I am still seeking information about when the miller walker tutorial was first posted.
        - Does anyone know Mark Tilden's exact birthday?

        Hey Wolfgang, I would sure appreciate any information, pictures, schematics, Biomorphic maps, etc that you might have and be able to share about Tildens robots. I am finding it difficult to locate specifics and I believe you have some of that stuff.

        I have managed to find partial archives of the original BEAM email list, but there are a lot of wholes in them. Does anyone have a complete collection?

        Hogfather, anything you would be able and willing to send me on the early history of Tilden's work and robots, BEAM in general, the BEAM heretics website founding, etc, would be appreciated as well.

        Wilf, Bruce Robinson, Richard Caudle, etc, anything that you can add would be wonderful as well.

        If anyone is still in contact with any of the early BEAMers, would you please ask them if they have anything that they are willing to contribute to the BEAM Timeline in particular, or the BEAM Wiki in general, I would be very grateful.

        I know these post may seem a bit pesky, but I really do want to help put something together that will be a useful resource.

        Best regards and thanks in advance,

        Clifford Boerema
        AKA Droidmakr
      • David Buckley
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 20, 2011
          Can I suggest that when the entry is a robot then there is a thumbnail (say 50x50 or 80x80) of the robot in the box where it says 'robot'
          David

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
            David Buckley wrote:

            > Can I suggest that when the entry is a robot then there is a thumbnail (say 50x50 or 80x80) of the robot in the box where it says 'robot'
            > David

            Good Suggestion Dave. I will see what I can do about that. Thanks for the input.

            Othere than that, what do you think of the laayout. I am basically happy with the layout, but I am still tweeking things a bit.

            This project has also made me aware of how much more information there is to be added to the BEAM Wiki. In fact, expanding, updating and maintaining the site could easily be a full time job.

            Thanks again,
            Cliff
          • Rik Declercq
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
              Cliff,

              I think you're doing a sterling job!

              I think keeping the lay-out easy to maintain is the most important thing to keep in mind, otherwise it'll come back and bite you in the posterior when it grows. BEAM history is complex, and there is a very good chance that a lot of extra info will keep trickling in for quite awhile.

              On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Droidmakr <droidmakr@...> wrote:

              David Buckley wrote:

              > Can I suggest that when the entry is a robot then there is a thumbnail (say 50x50 or 80x80) of the robot in the box where it says 'robot'
              > David

              Good Suggestion Dave. I will see what I can do about that.  Thanks for the input.

              Othere than that, what do you think of the laayout.  I am basically happy with the layout, but I am still tweeking things a bit.

              This project has also made me aware of how much more information there is to be added to the BEAM Wiki. In fact, expanding, updating and maintaining the site could easily be a full time job.

              Thanks again,
                          Cliff

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 beam-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 beam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • David Buckley
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                Hi Cliff
                I have found that whatever format one decides on it won't be perfect.
                The format of my Robot Time Line
                and those of my freind Reuben Hoggett
                eg Cybernetic Creature Timeline
                are not ideal, but like Topsy, they 'just grew'.

                I used to worry about each entry having exactly the same format but I am not producing some advertising brochure for a company, I am just trying to collate information.

                I am not sure if a sortable table is a good idea.
                I am not sure a Table is a good idea, it is hard to edit if you are not used to html
                CyberneticZoo is a php site, I do not think that is a good idea. If an ordinary URL is changed at least sometimes you can tell from the words where you need to look in a menu for the new location, but with a php number there is no chance.
                So whatever you do keep the layout very simple so anyone can editi it.

                David

                > Can I suggest that when the entry is a robot then there is a thumbnail (say 50x50 or 80x80) of the robot in the box where it says 'robot'
                > David

                Good Suggestion Dave. I will see what I can do about that. Thanks for the input.

                Othere than that, what do you think of the laayout. I am basically happy with the layout, but I am still tweeking things a bit.

                This project has also made me aware of how much more information there is to be added to the BEAM Wiki. In fact, expanding, updating and maintaining the site could easily be a full time job.

                Thanks again,
                Cliff

              • dm
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                  Hi Droidmakr,

                  I have 226MB of files for you :)
                  These files (pdf, video, pics, etc.) are info gathered by someone
                  several years ago and shared.
                  Please say me a way to send all to you.

                  greybear

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                    No argument Rik. I was telling a friend that I had managed to et 61 entries done, and suspected that I only hd a few thousand left to complete 8^)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                      Thanks for the input.

                      I made the list sortable because I thought it would make it easier to find certain data more easilyu. Sort by BEAQMer names to find what a particular beamer has done. Sort by category so you can search all the article, or among the robots, etc without having to run through the entire thing.

                      I have taken a couple of small steps that make using the table relatively easy. I am getting better all the time at using the Wiki Markup language, so it is not a big problem for me.

                      Thaks again Dave. I really do appreciate the input.

                      Best regards,
                      Cliff

                      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Cliff
                      > I have found that whatever format one decides on it won't be perfect.
                      > The format of my Robot Time Line
                      > http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/HistoryMakers.htm
                      > and those of my freind Reuben Hoggett
                      > http://cyberneticzoo.com/
                      > eg Cybernetic Creature Timeline
                      > http://cyberneticzoo.com/?page_id=41
                      > are not ideal, but like Topsy, they 'just grew'.
                      >
                      > I used to worry about each entry having exactly the same format but I am not producing some advertising brochure for a company, I am just trying to collate information.
                      >
                      > I am not sure if a sortable table is a good idea.
                      > I am not sure a Table is a good idea, it is hard to edit if you are not used to html
                      > CyberneticZoo is a php site, I do not think that is a good idea. If an ordinary URL is changed at least sometimes you can tell from the words where you need to look in a menu for the new location, but with a php number there is no chance.
                      > So whatever you do keep the layout very simple so anyone can editi it.
                      >
                      > David

                    • Droidmakr
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                        Thanks, I look forward to digging through it.

                        Can you email it to me? Just break it into whatever size batches your email can handle, and put "BEAM Timeline Info" in the subject line. That way I will recognize it sooner, so I can download it right away.

                        If that is not a good option for you, email me off-list, and we can come up with a better option.

                        I can be contacted at: droidmakr at sbcglobal dot net

                        Best regards,
                        Cliff