1381 style amperage trigger?

  • lharvey619
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2011
      I'm wondering if there is a milliamp trigger IC that can be set to trip at certain amerage ratings. Anyone heard of such a thing?

      My idea is to have such a trigger in series with a wheeled motor, that doesnt draw enough amps to trigger the sensor normally, until the bot/wheel gets stuck, and the stalled motor now draws enough to trigger the device- stopping the wheel, reversing it, changing behavior, whatever.

      Thats the idea. Does it exist?

      If not, how about a circuit that behaves the same way- that ISNT a microprocessor, or some overload shunt trip mechanism?

      Would something as simple as a microrelay that doesnt have enough current to actually trip it, until the motor DRAWS the required current through it work? I dont know if having such a sensor in series with a motor would slow or hinder the motors power as well, and this is where things get too complicated for my experience level at this.

      Any ideas? I would like to explore this whole "milliamp wheeled feedback" concept a bit... as I would smile at having a bump sensor without an actual switch present.
    • Droidmakr
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2011
        lharvey619 wrote:

        > My idea is to have such a trigger in series with a wheeled motor,
        > that doesnt draw enough amps to trigger the sensor normally,
        > until the bot/wheel gets stuck, and the stalled motor now draws
        > enough to trigger the device- stopping the wheel, reversing it,
        > changing behavior, whatever.

        Have you considered using Wilf's I-Mirror? You can find out about it by checking the BEAM Wiki, I-Mirror page at: http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/I_Mirror

        Hope this helps,
        Droidmakr