Re: recycling CD/DVDs

  • curly.drew
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2011
      Hi,

      I've had a lot of trouble with this, I have only once ever managed to get a clean cut through a CD, all other times (there have been a few) the CD develops small thin fractures that weaken the whole structure.

      The method I used was to heat a section of the CD until it became flexible and then use a sharp knife to cut my way through. I would imagine that scissors would work, possibly better. I'm not sure if the heating process negatively effects the structural strength, and I haven't tried to replicate it since as it became clear that the plastic was simply too delicate for my needs at the time.

      Regards,
      Drew

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Robertson" <mikerobe@...> wrote:

      > im not sure how you want to cut them but an idea of the top of my head to say cut down the diameter
      > a bolt some washers and rubber washer and a nut
      > take bolt drop on metal washer, then rubber then cd then rubber the metal then nut
      >
      > put that in a drill, start it up an use a cutting tool of your choice to cut it down
      > remeber your safety glasses ;)
      >
      > other then that maybe scoreing with a utility blade and snap
      >
      > good luck

    • David Buckley
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2011
        There are materials which are a easier to work with than CDs.

        I've had a lot of trouble with this, I have only once ever managed to get a clean cut through a CD, all other times (there have been a few) the CD develops small thin fractures that weaken the whole structure.

        The method I used was to heat a section of the CD until it became flexible and then use a sharp knife to cut my way through. I would imagine that scissors would work, possibly better. I'm not sure if the heating process negatively effects the structural strength, and I haven't tried to replicate it since as it became clear that the plastic was simply too delicate for my needs at the time.

        Regards,
        Drew

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Robertson" <mikerobe@...> wrote:

        > im not sure how you want to cut them but an idea of the top of my head to say cut down the diameter
        > a bolt some washers and rubber washer and a nut
        > take bolt drop on metal washer, then rubber then cd then rubber the metal then nut
        >
        > put that in a drill, start it up an use a cutting tool of your choice to cut it down
        > remeber your safety glasses ;)
        >
        > other then that maybe scoreing with a utility blade and snap
        >
        > good luck

      • Alvaro
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2011
          Sure many, but CD/DVD are like bunnies, grow faster in shelfs and drawers, are cheaper than acrilic or wood, with good physical properties ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate ).

          I google about a blade/saw specific to cut it, but Im just looking for tips.

          Thy,

          Alvaro

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21, 2011
            You please yourself what you use, since you are obviously an expert on materials I wouldn't think of trying to influence you.

            I google about a blade/saw specific to cut it, but Im just looking for tips.

            Thy,

            Alvaro

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

            > There are materials which are a easier to work with than CDs.

          • Alvaro Barcellos
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 21, 2011
              Sorry,

              Any experience is welcome, to follow and to understand errors.

              I'm not a expert just a curious about processes and materials, used to make by hand, the mechanics of moving parts of beambots.

              I have doubts in some eletronic schematics too and I will follow the list to learn.

              thanks,

              Alvaro