RE: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor

  • caleb pearson
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 97 KB
    Okayy. I attached it in this email.

    To: beam@yahoogroups.com
    From: wrigter@...
    Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:11:04 -0800
    Subject: Re: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor

    The part from Digikey is a 13811 voltage sensor with an open
    N drain output compared to the 1381 volatge sensor whaich
    has a complementary CMOS output. It may still be useful as a
    4.2V low battery detector depending on the application but
    can't be used for most Solar Engines. Can we have a peek at
    the schematic of your circuit?

    From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
    To: beam@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor
    Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:03:20 -0700

    >Hey everybody,
    >
    >I have built a couple small robots that seek out their
    >charging station when their battery goes low, but I am
    >having trouble with one of my 1381's being used as a
    >voltage sensor. The first robot's 1381 was ordered from
    >solarbotics and the microcontroller has no trouble sensing
    >when it changes from high to low or low to high. The second
    >robot's 1381 was ordered from digikey, and it doesnt
    >function the same as the first robots sensor despite being
    >used in the exact same circuit. I have tried using a pull
    >up resistor and a schmitt trigger inverter so that the
    >microcontroller will sense when the battery has gone low,
    >but it is not working. I think my 1381 is different from
    >regular 1381's. If so, could someone explain what the
    >difference is? The 1381 is found here
    >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MN13811SLUCT-ND.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Caleb

  • Neil
    Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23, 2010
      I had to print that picture, cut it out, lick it and stick it to my eyeball just to read it

      To: beam@yahoogroups.com

      From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
      To: beam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:03:20 -0700

      >Hey everybody,
      >
      >I have built a couple small robots that seek out their
      >charging station when their battery goes low, but I am
      >having trouble with one of my 1381's being used as a
      >voltage sensor. The first robot's 1381 was ordered from
      >solarbotics and the microcontroller has no trouble sensing
      >when it changes from high to low or low to high. The second
      >robot's 1381 was ordered from digikey, and it doesnt
      >function the same as the first robots sensor despite being
      >used in the exact same circuit. I have tried using a pull
      >up resistor and a schmitt trigger inverter so that the
      >microcontroller will sense when the battery has gone low,
      >but it is not working. I think my 1381 is different from
      >regular 1381's. If so, could someone explain what the
      >difference is? The 1381 is found here
      >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MN13811SLUCT-ND.
      >
      >Thanks in advance,
      >Caleb

    • David Buckley
      Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2010
        I thought that too at first but if you hit the 'original size' button on the page it is actually readable.

        To: beam@yahoogroups.com

        From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
        To: beam@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:03:20 -0700

        >Hey everybody,
        >
        >I have built a couple small robots that seek out their
        >charging station when their battery goes low, but I am
        >having trouble with one of my 1381's being used as a
        >voltage sensor. The first robot's 1381 was ordered from
        >solarbotics and the microcontroller has no trouble sensing
        >when it changes from high to low or low to high. The second
        >robot's 1381 was ordered from digikey, and it doesnt
        >function the same as the first robots sensor despite being
        >used in the exact same circuit. I have tried using a pull
        >up resistor and a schmitt trigger inverter so that the
        >microcontroller will sense when the battery has gone low,
        >but it is not working. I think my 1381 is different from
        >regular 1381's. If so, could someone explain what the
        >difference is? The 1381 is found here
        >http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=MN13811SLUCT-ND.
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >Caleb

      • wrigter
        Message 4 of 9 , Nov 24, 2010
          Can you confirm a few details that were not shown in your
          schematic:

          1)Which micro are you using?
          2)Is the micro Vcc pin connected directly to the battery V+
          terminal
          3)Is there a voltage regulator in your circuit?

          If the answer to 2) is yes then the 74HC14 inverter is not
          required. Just connect the 13811 output with the 47K pullup
          resistor directly to the microcontroller input. The build-in
          hysteresis of the voltage sensor will prevent chattering of
          the output signal when the voltage input crosses the
          threshold. The 47K resistor will limit the current into the
          micro input pin if the +V battery voltage is higher than the
          micro Vcc pin.

          From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
          To: beam@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor [1 Attachment]
          Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:33:09 -0700

          >Okayy. I attached it in this email.
          >

          >To: beam@yahoogroups.com
          >From: wrigter@...
          >Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:11:04 -0800
          >Subject: Re: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor
          >

          >The part from Digikey is a 13811 voltage sensor with an
          >open N drain output compared to the 1381 volatge sensor
          >whaich has a complementary CMOS output. It may still be
          >useful as a 4.2V low battery detector depending on the
          >application but can't be used for most Solar Engines. Can
          >we have a peek at the schematic of your circuit?
          >
          >wilf

        • caleb pearson
          Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2010
            Lol, sorry about the terrible quality of the schematic. I am using a picaxe 08m, and the battery is not regulated. I tried going without the inverter already, but it didn't work. The Inverter was just an attempt to make the signal easier to read by the microcontroller.

            To: beam@yahoogroups.com

            From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
            To: beam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:33:09 -0700

            >Okayy. I attached it in this email.
            >

            >To: beam@yahoogroups.com
            >From: wrigter@...
            >Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:11:04 -0800
            >Subject: Re: [beam] 1381 As Battery Sensor
            >

            >The part from Digikey is a 13811 voltage sensor with an
            >open N drain output compared to the 1381 volatge sensor
            >whaich has a complementary CMOS output. It may still be
            >useful as a 4.2V low battery detector depending on the
            >application but can't be used for most Solar Engines. Can
            >we have a peek at the schematic of your circuit?
            >
            >wilf

          • wrigter
            Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2010
              To debug your 08m / 13811 circuit connect the input and 0V
              pins of the 13811 across the battery, place a 10K resistor
              between the output and input pins of the 13811 and connect
              the output and 0V pins to a voltmeter to observe the effect
              of raising and lowering the "battery" voltage.

              From: caleb pearson <boo_ya_samuri_dude@...>
              To: beam@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:17:09 -0700