Re: [beam] Re: 74lvc14 with sc head healp!

  • David Buckley
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2010
      People have given you a lot of advice. However you want to use the chip you scavenged and you have been told it is not really suitable both because of its electrical specification and its physical size. Then you posted a circuit which is impossible to read - it is too small - it doesn't have enough pixels. To make this a two way process you have to be ready to accept advice and do your bit - make sure the circuit is readable - otherwise everybody is wasting their time.
      David

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hi Keith (AKA. kiyo_143),

        With regard to conduct and etiquette I side with David Buckley and J Wolfgang Goerlich. There are some general rules of thumb for posting in forums, comments and other public boards (sometimes referred to as netiquette - a contraction of net-etiquette).

        If you ask for help but do so in a way that indicates carelessness, specifically by having bad grammar, spelling errors, misplaced punctuation and so on
        ... that indicates that you aren't willing to put effort into your questions. This may or may not be the case but to everyone who reads the comment it seems like you don't really care about what your talking about.

        Think of running a spell check, proof reading your replies and asking yourself whether you could answer the question yourself with a little looking around. An example;

        kiyo_143;

        can i change the ldr into a photoresistor in these schematic of a smart head?

        schematics:

        http://bicoreeos.solarbotics.net/powersmart_head_layout.gif

        Lets break this question down.
        -No capitalisation
        -No please or thank you
        -No attempt to research the problem
        -It doesn't make sense to "change" one component into another (possibly you mean to swap or replace; in any case an ambiguous question)

        From my perspective this tells me that you are unwilling to put in the effort to ask the question properly never mind resolving the problem - you are asking other people to do your research (in an impolite way i.e. without please and thanks) and it is a problem that could be resolved by for example searching the phrase "LDR photoresistor difference" in google, yahoo, or any other search engine. You could answer your own question by answering the following questions with roughly 5 minutes on a search engine;

        What is an LDR (and what does LDR stand for)?
        What is a photoresistor?

        (By contrast I have spent 15 minutes typing this reply)

        There is nothing wrong with asking questions, but if you have bad manners then you will annoy people, in the same way that if in answer to your questions someone wrote "just do it yourself" you would find this irritating. The time that people spend helping you is their own free time, it is a precious gift and one should be thankful that someone is willing to help, free of charge and no strings attached. Consider the time it takes me to type this and my other replies to your questions as an example, how much time by comparison have you spent researching your questions?

        The attitude you need to adopt is not to expect an easy answer from a forum but to respect the members enough to ask well considered questions that are outside of your ability to answer (e.g. ask how to read the data sheet, rather than asking someone to translate it to prose for you). It's an issue of rudeness that your asking that other people give their time when you do not seem willing to commit much of your own.

        Please take all this with good temperament, it is friendly advice, not an attack on you or your character. I know that it is hard to gauge things like mood and manners when writing, especially on the internet, but by following this advice and more general "netiquette" you will get much further than the current method you are employing.

        regards,

        Andrew

      • ricardo_alonso@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
          Yo escuche su correo electrónico usando DriveCarefully y le responderé apenas me sea posible. Baje DriveCarefully gratis en www.drivecarefully.com
          Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
            I''l throw my 2 cents in here as a long time lurker...

             While I agree with everything said below, in this case I'm not sure the original poster is a native English speaker. I think he had referred to living in the Philippines, so perhaps a little tolerance towards grammar and spelling may be acceptable.

            As for me, I certainly appreciate what a tremendous resource this group is and has been for my projects, so thanks to all.

            Brian

[...]

            From my perspective this tells me that you are unwilling to put in the effort to ask the question properly never mind resolving the problem - you are asking other people to do your research (in an impolite way i.e. without please and thanks) and it is a problem that could be resolved by for example searching the phrase "LDR photoresistor difference" in google, yahoo, or any other search engine. You could answer your own question by answering the following questions with roughly 5 minutes on a search engine;

> [...]

            > > build robots which are hardly big enough to see. One problem with smt chips
            > > is that there is no guarantee they will still work when they have been
            > > removed from a PCB.
            > > > DIP (Dual In Plastic) chips that will plug into a breadboard are so cheap
            > > and much easier to solder and you can build free-formed circuits to
            > > eliminate the PCB and make everything smaller. But do it when you have got a
            > > circuit which works - on a breadboard or free-formed with long (2 or 3
            > > inches (5 or 7cm)) pieces of wire. Debugging a compact free-formed circuit
            > > or a surface-mount circuit is always very difficult even for an expert and
            > > if you were an expert you wouldn't need any help from this group.
            > > > Mark Tilden didn't start out making such tiny robots, like everyone else
            > > who manages it, he began by building circuits and finding out what worked

          • kiyo_143
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
              sorry!

              im not a good in english!

              -keith

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hill" <curly.drew@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > smt chips
              > > > is that there is no guarantee they will still work when they have
              > been
              > > > removed from a PCB.
              > so cheap
              > > > and much easier to solder and you can build free-formed circuits to
              > > > eliminate the PCB and make everything smaller. But do it when you
              > have got a
              > > > circuit which works - on a breadboard or free-formed with long (2 or
              > 3
              > > > inches (5 or 7cm)) pieces of wire. Debugging a compact free-formed
              > circuit
              > > > or a surface-mount circuit is always very difficult even for an
              > expert and
              > > > if you were an expert you wouldn't need any help from this group.
              > everyone else
              > > > who manages it, he began by building circuits and finding out what

            • wrigter
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                Hi Keith,

                Please experiment with suspended bicore circuit using the
                74lvc14 powered with 3V-3.6V. It will have some new and
                interesting properties because of the asymmetrical clamping
                at the input. A small auto focus or zoom lens gear motor
                from an old camcorder will be perfect for a beam head and
                can be easily driven by this chip. Mark Tilden, experiment
                with this family of chips failed because he could not get a
                bicore to work reliably. The darn thing would increase in
                frequency from 1Hz to 1kHz and faster for no apparent
                reason. At that time he was unaware of the importance of the
                input pin clamping circuit and the effect of an accumulating
                dc offset on the frequency of the suspended bicore. Try to
                think of new applications for this behaviour. ie use a piezo
                speaker to listen to the bicore take off and the incredible
                sesnitivity to external electric fields. Theremin anyone

                Wilf

> [...]
                >> > retain.
                >> >
                >> > I find the minute:hour rule to be helpful in keeping
                >> advice in perspective.
                >> > For every minute you spend asking a question and
                >> receiving an answer, be
                >> > prepared to spend an hour testing and researching.
                >> Spend fifteen minutes on
                >> > the forums? Spend fifteen hours on the breadboard.
                >> >
                >> > You will find your knowledge advances much faster this
                >> >way.
                >> > Regards and good luck,
                >> >
                >> > J Wolfgang Goerlich

                >> please and thank you and
                >> everything for you, you will never learn
                >> please and thank you.
                >> course first off you will
                >> surface-mount (smt) chips to
                >> problem with smt chips
                >> when they have been
                >> breadboard are so cheap
                >> everything smaller. But do it when you have got a

              • wrigter

> [...]
                  >> > retain.
                  >> >
                  >> > I find the minute:hour rule to be helpful in keeping
                  >> advice in perspective.
                  >> > For every minute you spend asking a question and
                  >> receiving an answer, be
                  >> > prepared to spend an hour testing and researching.
                  >> Spend fifteen minutes on
                  >> > the forums? Spend fifteen hours on the breadboard.
                  >> >
                  >> > You will find your knowledge advances much faster this
                  >> >way.
                  >> > Regards and good luck,
                  >> >
                  >> > J Wolfgang Goerlich

                  >> please and thank you and
                  >> everything for you, you will never learn
                  >> please and thank you.
                  >> course first off you will
                  >> surface-mount (smt) chips to
                  >> problem with smt chips
                  >> when they have been
                  >> breadboard are so cheap
                  >> everything smaller. But do it when you have got a

                • wrigter

> [...]
                    >> > retain.
                    >> >
                    >> > I find the minute:hour rule to be helpful in keeping
                    >> advice in perspective.
                    >> > For every minute you spend asking a question and
                    >> receiving an answer, be
                    >> > prepared to spend an hour testing and researching.
                    >> Spend fifteen minutes on
                    >> > the forums? Spend fifteen hours on the breadboard.
                    >> >
                    >> > You will find your knowledge advances much faster this
                    >> >way.
                    >> > Regards and good luck,
                    >> >
                    >> > J Wolfgang Goerlich

                    >> please and thank you and
                    >> everything for you, you will never learn
                    >> please and thank you.
                    >> course first off you will
                    >> surface-mount (smt) chips to
                    >> problem with smt chips
                    >> when they have been
                    >> breadboard are so cheap
                    >> everything smaller. But do it when you have got a

                  • wrigter

> [...]
                      >> > retain.
                      >> >
                      >> > I find the minute:hour rule to be helpful in keeping
                      >> advice in perspective.
                      >> > For every minute you spend asking a question and
                      >> receiving an answer, be
                      >> > prepared to spend an hour testing and researching.
                      >> Spend fifteen minutes on
                      >> > the forums? Spend fifteen hours on the breadboard.
                      >> >
                      >> > You will find your knowledge advances much faster this
                      >> >way.
                      >> > Regards and good luck,
                      >> >
                      >> > J Wolfgang Goerlich

                      >> please and thank you and
                      >> everything for you, you will never learn
                      >> please and thank you.
                      >> course first off you will
                      >> surface-mount (smt) chips to
                      >> problem with smt chips
                      >> when they have been
                      >> breadboard are so cheap
                      >> everything smaller. But do it when you have got a

                    • wrigter

> [...]
                        >> > retain.
                        >> >
                        >> > I find the minute:hour rule to be helpful in keeping
                        >> advice in perspective.
                        >> > For every minute you spend asking a question and
                        >> receiving an answer, be
                        >> > prepared to spend an hour testing and researching.
                        >> Spend fifteen minutes on
                        >> > the forums? Spend fifteen hours on the breadboard.
                        >> >
                        >> > You will find your knowledge advances much faster this
                        >> >way.
                        >> > Regards and good luck,
                        >> >
                        >> > J Wolfgang Goerlich

                        >> please and thank you and
                        >> everything for you, you will never learn
                        >> please and thank you.
                        >> course first off you will
                        >> surface-mount (smt) chips to
                        >> problem with smt chips
                        >> when they have been
                        >> breadboard are so cheap
                        >> everything smaller. But do it when you have got a

                      • David Buckley
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 1, 2010
                          Keith
                          I realise that and it is not a problem, but it really bugged me when you posted the circuit to Flickr(?) and it was too small and fuzzy to read, there was no excuse for that.
                          Just in case you think we are getting at you when we talk about the problems of getting circuits to work. I have just spent all weekend trying to get a circuit for an old SPO256 speech chip to work (I have a lot of the chips! Well about 40). It works fine on a breadboard but it doesn't work properly when built on vero/prototyping board. It just won't power up and down from the controlling micro without crashing.
                           I though it would be great to have all my Bipeds chattering away to each other, and they could let me know why they are doing what they are doing, I sometimes wonder and it is difficult to follow the waxing and waning of hormonal variables.
                          David