RE: [beam] waddling robots

  • John Simmons
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
      We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
      the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
      longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
      JohnS.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Ben A Micklin
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
        Hey, where can I get the parts to it? I've always wanted to build
        one.....

        What battery type would I use to power it?

        Ben

        On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:38:22 -0700 David Simmons <devs@...>
        writes:
        > John,
        >
        > Try the HERBIE circuit found at Solarbotics in the downloads
        > section. I saw a
        > pair of these running not to long ago when Solarbotics was at the
        > CNE. Very
        > fast and they seen to stick to the light like glue.
        >
        > http://www.solarbotics.com/downloads.asp
        >
        > Go right to the bottom of the page and you can't miss it.
        >
        > Good Luck,
        > Dave
        >
        > John Simmons wrote:
        >
        > > We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it
        > oscillates into
        > > the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one
        > goes a bit
        > > longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
        > > JohnS.

        > http://www.hotmail.com
        > >
        > > Share information about yourself, create your own public profile
        > at
        > > http://profiles.msn.com

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Robert Morris
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
          Here's an idea,
          Take Bruce Robinson's head schematic that was recently posted, and instead
          of connecting it to a single motor, connect each output to its own motor
          and connect the other motor leads to ground like this:

          Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Gnd.

          Ckt. Output 2 --------------Motor----------------Gnd.

          With the light directly in front of the bot, it will turn both motors at
          the same time and move forward, pause for a moment then move forward again.
          When the light is to one side or the other, one motor will stay on longer
          than the other and the robot will turn.

          You could take this a step further and connect two Nu's as touch sensors
          after the motors to allow the robot to turn and back away from obstacle:

          Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Nu

          Ckt. Output 2---------------Motor----------------Nu

          (For a better idea about how to hook up the Nu's, look at the bottom of the
          Beam Ant schematic at beam online.)

          Now you have a complete phototropic robot that can avoid obstacle (without
          waggle) all on one 74xx14 IC.

          Just food for thought,

          Robert Morris

          At 08:21 PM 9/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
          > We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
          >the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
          >longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
          > JohnS.
        • David Simmons
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000

            John Simmons wrote:

            > We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
            > the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
            > longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
            > JohnS.

          • Bruce Robinson
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 27, 2000
              Robert Morris wrote:

              > Take Bruce Robinson's head schematic that was recently posted, and
              > instead of connecting it to a single motor, connect each output to
              > its own motor and connect the other motor leads to ground like this:
              >
              > Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Gnd.
              >
              > Ckt. Output 2 --------------Motor----------------Gnd.

              That's pretty slick, Robert. Just goes to show -- I was so fixed on that
              idea as a head circuit, I never thought of it running two motors. Your
              idea of using a couple of Nu's to provide backup capability is also very
              nice.

              One additional idea (not completely developed). You can also mess with
              the timing of the bicore that Daniel showed in his original post --
              perhaps add in a photoresistor to make it pulse more quickly in brighter
              light. It might take a bit of tuning, but you may be able to get the
              motors to run almost continuously, with just a bit of a pause between
              cycles.

              Looks like a nice little robot circuit evolving here :)

              Bruce
            • Richard Caudle
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                Check out the "wigglebots" on my site.  Same concept, different circuit.  www.geocities.com/frankendaddy/MyBots.com

                Richard
                Take Bruce Robinson's head schematic that was recently posted, and instead
                of connecting it to a single motor, connect each output to its own motor
                and connect the other motor leads to ground like this:

                Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                Ckt. Output 2 --------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                With the light directly in front of the bot, it will turn both motors at
                the same time and move forward, pause for a moment then move forward again.
                When the light is to one side or the other, one motor will stay on longer
                than the other and the robot will turn.

                You could take this a step further and connect two Nu's as touch sensors
                after the motors to allow the robot to turn and back away from obstacle:

                Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Nu

                Ckt. Output 2---------------Motor----------------Nu

                (For a better idea about how to hook up the Nu's, look at the bottom of the
                Beam Ant schematic at beam online.)

                Now you have a complete phototropic robot that can avoid obstacle (without
                waggle) all on one 74xx14 IC.

                Just food for thought,

                Robert Morris

                At 08:21 PM 9/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >    We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
                >the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
                >longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
                >                                                JohnS.

              • Phillip A. Ryals
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                  Personally, I've used the monocore just like this a few times. The only
                  thing I'm missing is a reverser right now.

                  ***The easiest way to get rid of the waddling***

                  Lower your cap values. The average monocore uses a ~.22uF cap, and that
                  causes it to occilate even when it's locked on. I use .005uF or even in the
                  picofarad range. I get a *smooth* transition between each motor unless the
                  light source moves extremely quickly. Even then, it tracks the light more
                  naturally.

                  Also, try this on a head. The head never occilates. It just locks on and
                  stays locked on. Very nice effect. Since I figured it out, I do all my
                  heads that way. I suppose it could be less efficient (?) but I use
                  batteries quite a bit so I don't notice.

                  -phillip

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                  • Robert Morris
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                      At 11:15 PM 9/27/00 -0700, Bruce wrote:
                      >One additional idea (not completely developed). You can also mess with
                      >the timing of the bicore that Daniel showed in his original post --
                      >perhaps add in a photoresistor to make it pulse more quickly in brighter
                      >light. It might take a bit of tuning, but you may be able to get the
                      >motors to run almost continuously, with just a bit of a pause between
                      >cycles.
                      >
                      >Looks like a nice little robot circuit evolving here :)
                      >
                      >Bruce

                      Sounds like a great idea to me, after I wrote the last post, I had a
                      similar idea of increasing the bicore frequency for continuous motion, just
                      not with photoresistors. I like your idea better.

                      <http://www.geocities.com/frankendaddy/MyBots.com>www.geocities.com/frankendaddy/MyBots.<http://www.geocities.com/frankendaddy/MyBots.com>com

                      > Richard

                      Cool bot, but I thought you couldn't use a 74xx240 as a suspended bicore.
                      Is it just because the
                      photodiodes create a virtual ground where they connect together?

                      Robert Morris
                    • BUDSCOTT@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                        In a message dated 9/27/00 8:23:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
                        simmons47@... writes:

                        > We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
                        > the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
                        > longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
                        > JohnS.

                        To make something like that to get rid of waddling, use op-amps to control
                        your motors using analouge I/O. That way it will have a nice smooth ride....

                        -Spencer

                        <http://www.botic.com/users/beamstop>

                        not a robot scientist
                        not a college major
                        not a grad student
                        not a professor
                        not a very organized person
                        just Spencer (isn't that impressive enough?)

                        I didn't write this!
                        | |
                        | |
                        \/
                      • Daniel Grace
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                          I can't offer any theory, but I've ran several
                          suspended bicores on a 74HCT240 and it runs fine. In
                          fact, the LED blinker that I have on my desk has been
                          running for weeks on one set of batteries. The LEDs
                          are getting a little dim, but its still running fine.

                          ~Daniel

                          > Cool bot, but I thought you couldn't use a 74xx240
                          > as a suspended bicore.
                          > Is it just because the
                          > photodiodes create a virtual ground where they
                          > connect together?
                          >
                          > Robert Morris

                          =====
                          ICQ # 39402143
                          http://nettrash.com/users/psychopathology
                          [non-beam]

                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        • Richard Caudle
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                            D'oh!  Cut me some slack, I just got up!  :)  Brain still booting...

                            Richard
                              Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight when I said that.
                              As Wilf just pointed out to me (thanks Wilf), it's the 74hc14 that won't
                              suspend not the '240.
                              Just a little brain hiccup on my part :)
                              Tired from work I guess.

                              Robert Morris

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 28, 2000
                                The 74HC240 or any "non-Schmidt" CMOS inverter is normally used for a
                                suspended bicore. This is because at least one of the bicore input waveforms
                                must cross through the input switching threshold as the input voltages decay
                                towards a virtual "reference" of 1/2Vcc(and not the proverbial virtual
                                ground). Any hysteresis added to the threshold pushes it beyond 1/2Vcc and
                                tends to hang a suspended 74HC14 bicore (but not a grounded 74HC14 bicore)
                                made with conventional component values. Still it is possible to make a
                                suspended 74HC14 bicore. With a large difference in cap values or unbalanced
                                photodiodes, one of the input voltage waveforms
                                decays towards <1/2Vcc and the other to >1/2Vcc which if greater than the
                                threshold allows the suspended 74HC14 bicore to change state and continue to
                                oscillate.

                                It is easy to demonstrate that when a "grounded" HC240 bicore is not
                                connected to ground but uses a reference voltage for the resistors greater
                                than 0V. When raisong the refernence volatge above ground the frequency
                                drops until the frequency becomes very slow when the reference is exactly at
                                the HC240 threshold. This condition corresponds precisely to the 1/2Vcc
                                virtual "reference" point in the middle of the suspended bicore resistor. As
                                the reference voltage is increased beyond this point the frequency starts to
                                increase until it is maximum frequency again at Vcc. Among other things this
                                can be used to make music.

                                Check out Wouter Brocks analysis at BeamOnline for more details.

                                wilf

                                ----------

                                Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight when I said that.
                                As Wilf just pointed out to me (thanks Wilf), it's the 74hc14 that won't
                                suspend not the '240.
                                Just a little brain hiccup on my part :)
                                Tired from work I guess.

                                Robert Morris

                                At 06:24 PM 9/28/00 -0700, you wrote:
                                >I can't offer any theory, but I've ran several
                                >suspended bicores on a 74HCT240 and it runs fine. In
                                >fact, the LED blinker that I have on my desk has been
                                >running for weeks on one set of batteries. The LEDs
                                >are getting a little dim, but its still running fine.
                                >
                                >~Daniel
                                >

                                > > Cool bot, but I thought you couldn't use a 74xx240
                                > > as a suspended bicore.
                                > > Is it just because the
                                > > photodiodes create a virtual ground where they
                                > > connect together?
                                > >
                                > > Robert Morris

                              • William Cox
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 29, 2000
                                  Yea, I can't get mine to work. Did you ever get my mail?
                                  -William

                                  a couple of months ago almost half the mails on the list were to or from you:)
                                  how are the hpv`s going?
                                  Take Bruce Robinson's head schematic that was recently posted, and instead
                                  of connecting it to a single motor, connect each output to its own motor
                                  and connect the other motor leads to ground like this:

                                  Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                                  Ckt. Output 2 --------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                                  With the light directly in front of the bot, it will turn both motors at
                                  the same time and move forward, pause for a moment then move forward again.
                                  When the light is to one side or the other, one motor will stay on longer
                                  than the other and the robot will turn.

                                  You could take this a step further and connect two Nu's as touch sensors
                                  after the motors to allow the robot to turn and back away from obstacle:

                                  Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Nu

                                  Ckt. Output 2---------------Motor----------------Nu

                                  (For a better idea about how to hook up the Nu's, look at the bottom of the
                                  Beam Ant schematic at beam online.)

                                  Now you have a complete phototropic robot that can avoid obstacle (without
                                  waggle) all on one 74xx14 IC.

                                  Just food for thought,

                                  Robert Morris

                                  At 08:21 PM 9/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >    We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
                                  >the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
                                  >longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
                                  >                                                JohnS.

                                • johannes urke
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 29, 2000
                                    Are you still on the list???
                                    a couple of months ago almost half the mails on the list were to or from you:)
                                    how are the hpv`s going?
                                    Take Bruce Robinson's head schematic that was recently posted, and instead
                                    of connecting it to a single motor, connect each output to its own motor
                                    and connect the other motor leads to ground like this:

                                    Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                                    Ckt. Output 2 --------------Motor----------------Gnd.

                                    With the light directly in front of the bot, it will turn both motors at
                                    the same time and move forward, pause for a moment then move forward again.
                                    When the light is to one side or the other, one motor will stay on longer
                                    than the other and the robot will turn.

                                    You could take this a step further and connect two Nu's as touch sensors
                                    after the motors to allow the robot to turn and back away from obstacle:

                                    Ckt. Output 1---------------Motor----------------Nu

                                    Ckt. Output 2---------------Motor----------------Nu

                                    (For a better idea about how to hook up the Nu's, look at the bottom of the
                                    Beam Ant schematic at beam online.)

                                    Now you have a complete phototropic robot that can avoid obstacle (without
                                    waggle) all on one 74xx14 IC.

                                    Just food for thought,

                                    Robert Morris

                                    At 08:21 PM 9/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >    We always have bots that fire alternate sides until it oscillates into
                                    >the light. Why not have both motors fire simultaneously but one goes a bit
                                    >longer until the bot rolls smoothly into the light?
                                    >                                                JohnS.

                                  • SG
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
                                      hey congrats! Finally a Hexapod circuit!

                                      now, this DOES take into account the standard Hexapod "tripod' walking gait
                                      right?
                                      In reverse? In turning?
                                      I guess it makes no matter which motors go where? #1 is center motor for
                                      lift,
                                      #2 is for Left-front&back legs and #3 is for Right-Front&Back legs

                                      and it makes no diff which is #1, 2 or 3?
                                      This circuit will be greaaaat!
                                      and there's possibilities for a light influencing head?
                                      WOW!
                                      -Sparky
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
                                        Well, it was merely a refinement of Richard Piotters hexapod circuit and as
                                        such designed for his hexapod(http://richfiles.calc.org/Hexapod.html) But
                                        let me think some more on your wishlist to see how this can be adapted.

                                        wilf

                                        ----------

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
                                          Direct drive of servos, rather than having to hack 'em. That'd be a cool one
                                          to add to my simmstick hexapod.

                                          David

                                        • dan_kenney@wsu.edu
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                                            We are trying to figure out a way of doing this right now. (direct
                                            driving the servo using time pulse circuits) If anyone has done
                                            this, I'd like to speak with them.

                                            Dan E. Kenney
                                            General Manager
                                            WSU Robotics
                                            Washington State University
                                            dan_kenney@...

                                            --- In beam@egroups.com, "David Perry" <davidperry@g...> wrote:
                                            > Direct drive of servos, rather than having to hack 'em. That'd be a
                                            cool one
                                            > to add to my simmstick hexapod.
                                            >
                                            > David

                                          • SG
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                                              At 09:48 PM 10/2/00 -0700, you wrote:

                                              >Well, it was merely a refinement of Richard Piotters hexapod circuit and as
                                              >such designed for his hexapod(http://richfiles.calc.org/Hexapod.html) But
                                              >let me think some more on your wishlist to see how this can be adapted.
                                              >
                                              >wilf

                                              Thanks Wilf, I am very excited about this circuit! I checked out
                                              Richard's Mechanics and I think the standard tripod "Gait" applies. But
                                              the reverseing is simply one side. So I guess this would imply that the
                                              motors listed are "placement specific".
                                              or at least one of them is meant for the middle motor.
                                              but which one?
                                              -Sparky
                                            • Dave Hrynkiw
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                                                At 05:11 PM 10/3/2000, dan_kenney@... wrote:
                                                >We are trying to figure out a way of doing this right now. (direct
                                                >driving the servo using time pulse circuits) If anyone has done
                                                >this, I'd like to speak with them.

                                                We designed something called a servocore a while back. I'll see if I can
                                                dig up the notes and post them.

                                                It lets you set an upper and lower limit of rotation, and time duration
                                                between the extremes. Also slavable! Haven't done it yet, but I think I
                                                could slave them like standard bicores...

                                                -Dave
                                                "Um, no - that's H,R,Y,N,K,I,W. No, not K,I,U,U, K,I,_W_. Yes,
                                                that's right. Yes, I know it looks like "HOCKYRINK." Yup, only
                                                2 vowels. Pronounciation? _SMITH_".
                                                http://www.solarbotics.com