solar trouble

  • kiyo_143
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
      can i run a motor with a solarpanel even without a solar engine?
    • kiyo_143
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
        can there be a possible to i run the motor with solar cells without a solar engine

        -kiyo*
      • Eric Stark
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2010
          kiyo, it is difficult to find a solar panel that can source enough
          current to drive a motor of significant size. The solar motor driver
          is essentially an energy storage circuit that "trips" when enough
          energy has been stored and can drive a motor of useful size. Now, if
          you had a large array of panels, you could drive a motor directly
          under the right lighting conditions. However, it would be a rare
          thing that the motors being turned could drive a robot with all those
          panels - you'd probably have to have the panels stationary and use
          wires to deliver the energy to the robot.
        • kiyo_143
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2010
            @eric stark

            i recently found a little sollar cell in a calculator that can power a motor

            -kiyo*

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2010
              @kiyo

              I'm a little confused about your reasons for asking the question in
              the first place given your evidence. I don't doubt that you can make
              a motor turn directly from a solar cell. However, I suspect you will
              have great troubles making it do any useful work. Those cells simply
              don't produce much energy - again, necessitating the solar engine
              driver's store-and-dump operation.

              Alas, it matters very little what I or anybody says. It is up to you
              to experiment and discover what works and what doesn't. Listening to
              others describe what may or may not work could, in a sense, be
              counter-productive. Go forth and pretend that anything is possible.
              You may discover something new without being blinded by doubt. ;-)

              --Eric
            • Keith Applegarth
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2010

                --