Not So Dummy Walker- servo modification

  • Marcin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2009
      Hi. I'm preparing to make NSD Walker and I have a little question, how to "hack" the servo? I find only this:
      http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Hacking_a_Servo
      but it's not like in description:
      "The "Not-So-Dummy" walker
      The "Not-So-Dummy" walker is an interesting design by Ben Hitchcock. Here, servos must be used for the walker's motors, since the servos' built-in potentiometers are an integral part of the circuit. This means, of course, that the servos must be only "partially hacked" (the internal circuit boards are removed, and new wiring installed to bring both motor and both potentiometer contacts out of the servo."

      So how modify servo for NSD Walker?

      Thanks,
      Marcin
    • David Buckley
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2009
        You don't need to remove the 'stop' so there is no need to take the gearbox apart or remove the pot. All you need to do is remove the circuit board and solder your wires onto the pot and motor.
        You will note that the brass ferules in the photo are the wrong way round, they should be put in the rubber mounts from the other side.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2009
          Oh, know I see where the servo pot goes, clever. Now I have 2 hacked standard servos. I'm thinking about turning. If I use side feller (normally open) parallel connected to the photoresistor Walker will turn in the side, or it's better to plug fellers into rear part (analogical to the photoresistor in front).

          PS: I'm making this version http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/Not-So-Dummy%20Walker%20w%20Reverse.png
          Thanks,
          Marcin

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "David Buckley" <david@...> wrote:

          > You don't need to remove the 'stop' so there is no need to take the gearbox apart or remove the pot. All you need to do is remove the circuit board and solder your wires onto the pot and motor.
          > You will note that the brass ferules in the photo are the wrong way round, they should be put in the rubber mounts from the other side.

        • Marcin
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 16, 2009
            Hi again. So I make NSD on the breadboard. I started with the full http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/Not-So-Dummy%20Walker%20w%20Reverse.png cirut but it don't work well. When I switch on the servos make a move but don't reverse, there are some reactions when I do something with photo resistors and the feller but not always. So I start again but I make the normal version, then I add photo resistor and It was working well, but when I add again the reversing circuit It behave as at the first approach.
            I check everything 3 times and nothing. Is there anything that It isn't on the schematic and I should do (for example schematic don't show the power supply for 74HC14 but I know that it's needed)?
            Or I can start again with this version http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/NSDW%20Wilf.gif but I have no 74AC240 (I can't buy them anywhere). Could I use 74HC240 or HCT version instead?

            Thanks,
            Marcin