Re: Herbie line following robot

  • rick_chatterbox
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2009
      1)I connected the pin 1 and 8 to increase the amplifier gain(still using reverse biased IR LEDs), I am supplying 6V to Vs of the IC. But when I cover one LED with my hands (causing no light to get to it) there is no difference in the speed of the motors.Why is that?

      2)But still if it has some bias it will just take a longer time to reach the light area wouldn't it?

      3) I am checking any IR with a CMOS camera and there is none,thats why I asked the question.

      --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "telefox" <telefox@...> wrote:

      > 1) Yes, but the sensitivity will be decreased. You may have to increase the number of sensors and/or adjust the amplifier gain to compensate for this.
      > 2) Yes, you can use two equal resistors instead of the trimpot, but it is likely that your Herbie will have a slight bias, causing it to drift slightly one way or the other.
      > 3) This is likely due to the sensitivity issues I mentioned in 1). Reverse-biased LEDs will not emit light, but in the Herbie configuration the biasing is not strictly reversed. Not that you should notice any emitted IR with your own eyes anyway =)

    • telefox
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 2009
        It's hard to say what might be causing the problem without more details - what is the default state of the motors? What resistors are you using in place of the trimpot?

        If the bias is off then the Herbie will usually 'wiggle' towards/away from the light instead of following it smoothly, but unless the bias is way off it'll get there eventually.