"Totally Complete Walker" from costaricabeam

  • Marcin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
      Hi. It's my first post here. I want to ask about "Totally Complete Walker" from here http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/Totally%20Complete%20Walker.png
      I'm a beginner in BEAMing and I cant read this schematic. I don't see how to plug the 74HC240 and 4066. Simply I don't know which leg is where. I prefer schematics where IC are simply draw like in "Hexapod Walker" from the same site. It would be a great help for me if someone can mark where is which leg.
      My second question is about geared motors. Could I use for this schematic an standard size servo (not these 9g ones but the 45g) of course without the steering.

      PS: Sory for my English.
    • Amit
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
        Hello,

        Congrats on your first post and welcome to the world of BEAM.
        That's a good question and a good, how to plug the chips in.
        Well, the first thing I would suggest is googling "how to read circuit diagrams". The next thing which would be prudent is going to www.alldatasheet.com, and searching for the 7fhc240 and 4066 data sheets. YOu could probably find these data sheets on Solarbotics' resource page too, i simply prefer alldatasheet because it has practically every data sheet.

        These files will be in pdf form, and will contain images of the IC in question, and its pinout, that is, input/output pins and the location of the devices within the chip.

        It is good to learn these things rather than use a pictorial diagram, because they stick in your mind and you can easily see how the circuit functions, i usppose it works both ways if you know the layout of the devices in the pictorial.

        Once you have the pinouts, you can sketch drawings of the IC's and the locations of the devices, don't forget to put in the pin numbers, and simply sketch in the other components. Keep draughting until you have an ideal layout.

        I'm not sure of what you mean by "without steering". You can use any servo as long as you provide for it's power requirements. Most people remove the brains from the servo and connect directly to the motor, i keep the brains and throw in a little extra circuitry to use it.

        Good Luck and Best REgards!

        Amit

        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Marcin" <pingwingugu5@...> wrote:

        > Hi. It's my first post here. I want to ask about "Totally Complete Walker" from here http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/Totally%20Complete%20Walker.png
        > I'm a beginner in BEAMing and I cant read this schematic. I don't see how to plug the 74HC240 and 4066. Simply I don't know which leg is where. I prefer schematics where IC are simply draw like in "Hexapod Walker" from the same site. It would be a great help for me if someone can mark where is which leg.
        > My second question is about geared motors. Could I use for this schematic an standard size servo (not these 9g ones but the 45g) of course without the steering.
        >
        > PS: Sory for my English.

      • Marcin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
          Thanks. When I wrote "without steering" I thought about servos brain (I need to extend my dictionary). "i keep the brains and throw in a little extra circuitry to use it" is it something like "555 servo driver"?
          I updated a file with how to plug in the chips but I don't know is it right. Could someone check it? In 74HC240 1 and 19pin are empty or I don't know where to plug in them, the same problem with 7 and 14pin in 4066.

          Best Regards
          Marcin

          Links:
          555 servo driver:
          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IKi_SkmEPVU8vWq3Ump3hK-XuFJX0G5fiExGAmHVPyKLTPKLMcuKAlE-POykcArylWHzmt1AAPSIqdBw5bpoiOvKqk4l4Xxnkg/555%20servo%20driver.jpg
          Schematics + how to plug:
          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MLa_Smbw3FM7ytEivwxHU9aHvzhfP2xTrohJU9oggcNamF_HcSG8h0dCAyjqenkwfuN-AYbl2B779mIjSDwIkXMuHJpMLC2cBA/Totally%20Complete%20Walker%20plus%20.png

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Amit" <amitjones101@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Congrats on your first post and welcome to the world of BEAM.
          > That's a good question and a good, how to plug the chips in.
          > Well, the first thing I would suggest is googling "how to read circuit diagrams". The next thing which would be prudent is going to www.alldatasheet.com, and searching for the 7fhc240 and 4066 data sheets. YOu could probably find these data sheets on Solarbotics' resource page too, i simply prefer alldatasheet because it has practically every data sheet.
          >
          > These files will be in pdf form, and will contain images of the IC in question, and its pinout, that is, input/output pins and the location of the devices within the chip.
          >
          > It is good to learn these things rather than use a pictorial diagram, because they stick in your mind and you can easily see how the circuit functions, i usppose it works both ways if you know the layout of the devices in the pictorial.
          >
          > Once you have the pinouts, you can sketch drawings of the IC's and the locations of the devices, don't forget to put in the pin numbers, and simply sketch in the other components. Keep draughting until you have an ideal layout.
          >
          > I'm not sure of what you mean by "without steering". You can use any servo as long as you provide for it's power requirements. Most people remove the brains from the servo and connect directly to the motor, i keep the brains and throw in a little extra circuitry to use it.
          >
          > Good Luck and Best REgards!
          >
          > Amit
          >

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "Marcin" <pingwingugu5@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi. It's my first post here. I want to ask about "Totally Complete Walker" from here http://costaricabeam.solarbotics.net/Circuits/Walkers/Totally%20Complete%20Walker.png
          > > I'm a beginner in BEAMing and I cant read this schematic. I don't see how to plug the 74HC240 and 4066. Simply I don't know which leg is where. I prefer schematics where IC are simply draw like in "Hexapod Walker" from the same site. It would be a great help for me if someone can mark where is which leg.
          > > My second question is about geared motors. Could I use for this schematic an standard size servo (not these 9g ones but the 45g) of course without the steering.
          > >
          > > PS: Sory for my English.

        • Marcin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009
          • Amit
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 28, 2009
              Hey Marcin,

              The links still aren't working, but that's ok.

              Yes, you could use the 555 servo driver if you want to, I usually use a PWM bicore, there are many ways to skin a cat (although who would want to do that?).
              It would be simpler to remove the servo brains though, just put them somewhere safe SO you can reuse them if you want.

              With regards to pins 1 & 19 on the 240, these are called "enable" pins. You can find this info on the datasheet. Which is why it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the sheets of common components used in the hobby. Essentially, the enable is exactly what it says it is, it is used to enable, or, toggle on or off if you will, the devices connected to it. You simply connect the enable pins to either ground or VCC to do this. I wil lleave it up to you to discover which connection will turn the chip's devices on :P
              , just as an exercise.

              The same is true of the 4066. Just consult your datasheet and see if you figure it out.

              I'm not being difficult, just want you to see what you can learn or tease out from available resources. If you have any difficulties, you can always email me at amitjones101@..., make sure to put BEAM in the subject though.

              You can also email me your schematics as well.

              Know you'll finish your project,

              Good luck and Best Regards,
              Amit