Androids - Are they already near us?

  • lizelle_babe17
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
      Most of us have probably watched Dragon Ball Z when we were teens. If you have followed the saga, you're probably familiar with Adroid 17, 18, and 19. Well, I guess they are not just a thing of our childhood anymore. As researchers continue to enhance their knowledge about robotics, more and more things are being developed.

      What are Androids?

      Androids have been mainly an element of science fiction, yet it is increasingly becoming a reality in Japan and South Korea. An android is an anthropomorphic robot - i.e. a robot that looks like a human. Many android developers call their creations "humanoids" rather than androids. Here is a video of Jules, a real android.

      Visit http://techiemaxcorner.blogspot.com   to read more or to watch the video. It's really cool. =)
    • jwgoerlich_us
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hello,

        Though it goes without saying for the savvy audience in this group, much of that demo was scripted. It is nonetheless impressive, particularly the facial expressions. The robot Jules' was made by Hanson Robotics, and David Hanson is a guy to follow. He is excellent at making life-like faces.

        J Wolfgang Goerlich

        Robots by Hanson Robotics
        http://www.hansonrobotics.com/robots.html

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          Wow. Thank you sir for sharing the info and link. I'm just new here so I still don't know much. I'm really starting to like this group. I'm learning knew things every time. And it feels like I'm being surrounded by intelligent people like you.. hehe =)

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
            The following may also be of interest. Researchers have broken down virtually all facial expressions based on muscle groups. The actions, and "emotions", can then be recreated and simulated using actuators and a stretchy Hanson skin.

            Facial Action Coding System
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_Action_Coding_System

            --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "lizelle_babe17" <lizelle_babe17@...> wrote:

            > Wow. Thank you sir for sharing the info and link. I'm just new here so I
            > still don't know much. I'm really starting to like this group. I'm
            > learning knew things every time. And it feels like I'm being surrounded
            > by intelligent people like you.. hehe =)
            >

            > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jwgoerlich_us" <jwgoerlich@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > Though it goes without saying for the savvy audience in this group,
            > much of that demo was scripted. It is nonetheless impressive,
            > particularly the facial expressions. The robot Jules' was made by Hanson
            > Robotics, and David Hanson is a guy to follow. He is excellent at making
            > life-like faces.
            > >
            > > J Wolfgang Goerlich
            > >

            > > Robots by Hanson Robotics
            > > http://www.hansonrobotics.com/robots.html
            > <http://www.hansonrobotics.com/robots.html>
            > >

            > > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "lizelle_babe17" <lizelle_babe17@> wrote:
            > > > Visit <http://techiemaxcorner.blogspot.com
            > <http://techiemaxcorner.blogspot.com> >
            > > > to read more or to watch the video. It's really cool. =)

          • simon.chambers
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
              Hello all,

              I'm a keen BEAM mailing list follower - only lerking about the majority of the time, but this thread caught my attention!

              If you listen to the video you'll hear that Jules went off to the University of the West of England in Bristol (UK). I know this isn't strictly BEAM related, but I'd thought you'd be interested in what our university has done with Jules in his new home!

              A short-ish video that details part of what the BRL (Bristol Robotics Laboratory) is currently doing, with some shots of how Jules is being used for Human-Robot interaction:
              http://www.uwe.ac.uk/inPictures/robotics.shtml

              Finally I better add a BEAM link! A former professor in the university many years ago got hold of one of William Grey Walters Turtles (arguably one of the first BEAM robots). They not only restored one of them but also built a replica. I know that at least one of them (not sure if its an original or not) still lives here. Maybe I should get some hi-res pictures taken of it? Would anyone be interested?

              A brief intro for Grey Walters turtles for those who don't know:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Grey_Walter#Robots

              The story behind how the turtles got into the university:
              http://www.ias.uwe.ac.uk/Robots/gwonline/gwonline.html

              Hope you find this interesting!

              Cheers,
              Simon.

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jwgoerlich_us" <jwgoerlich@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Though it goes without saying for the savvy audience in this group, much of that demo was scripted. It is nonetheless impressive, particularly the facial expressions. The robot Jules' was made by Hanson Robotics, and David Hanson is a guy to follow. He is excellent at making life-like faces.
              >
              > J Wolfgang Goerlich
              >

              > Robots by Hanson Robotics
              > http://www.hansonrobotics.com/robots.html
            • robots42
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
                Regarding Grey Walter's tortoises.
                You are right there is one incomplete specimen of the 1951 Festival of Britain Tortoises in the Smithsonian. The other remaining one in the Science Museum in London actually belongs now to the University of the West of England and was 'discovered' in the basment of Walter's son Nicholas, it was #6, Grey Walter's personal Tortoise of the batch of six and was given to the University on condition that it remain available to researchers. It was not restored at all but did still work when new batteries were used. Unfortunately it was 'restored' with a new drive battery housing for 'D' cells some years previous to its 'discovery' by I believe Brunel University. Two replicas, 'Amy' and 'Nija', were constructed at Bristol in the mid 90s with the help of 'Bunny' Warren, Grey Walter's technician at the Burden Institute, using as you said some of the original parts kept by 'Bunny'. Later a look-alike using a hidden PIC was constructed for the Millenium-Dome millenium exhibition.
                Earlier this year I made a research trip round Europe visiting the remaining cybernetic 'animals' and cybernetic machines from the 50s and 60s and talked to their creators (where still alive!). I also got to play with the replica tortoises in the Bristol Robotics Lab and handled and photographed #6 in the Science Museum.
                In addition I visited Bruce Lacey in Norwich England, who demonstrated Rosa Bussom a large cybernetic 'robot' from the 60s; Professor Heinz Zemanek in Vienna and handled his machines in the Vienna Technical Museum; Dr Daniel Muszka in Seged, Hungary, who demonstrated his Seged Ladybird learning to associate light and sound, this is the only cybernetic 'animal' from the 50s which is still in full working order and can be demonstrated. I also handled and photographed Ducrocq's Renard in the 'Réserves du Musée des arts et metiers' in Paris. Most people have never heard of these machines although in their day they were TV stars.
                Technology has come a long way since then but the abilities of electronic 'animals' has hardly changed at all and Grey Walter's Tortoises are still the best of the bunch.
                There is some information on Zemanek's machines and the Seged Ladybird on the History pages of my web site.
                http://www.davidbuckley.net/DB/HistoryMakers.htm
                The pages resulting from the trip are still being written.

                David