Headbot

  • martynharris@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 4:16 AM
      Hi guys,

      I built the ol' headbot circuit over the weekend. I used a playstation 2 controller motor to make it move as the other motors I had were none responsive due to a lack of power from the bicore I suspect(though I'm still starting out).

      I bought a few 6.7V, 37x33mm solarcells from Solarbiotics and was wondering whether it was fairly simple to combine the symet and headbot designs to create a solarpowered headbot using a solar panel and some capacitors? I want to do this mainly to cut down on the weight of the batteries.

      Apologies if this information is elsewhere.

      Many thanks,

      Martyn.
    • jabmechtech
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 7:13 AM
        --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "martynharris@..." <martynharris@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I built the ol' headbot circuit over the weekend. I used a playstation 2 controller motor to make it move as the other motors I had were none responsive due to a lack of power from the bicore I suspect(though I'm still starting out).
        >
        > I bought a few 6.7V, 37x33mm solarcells from Solarbiotics and was wondering whether it was fairly simple to combine the symet and headbot designs to create a solarpowered headbot using a solar panel and some capacitors? I want to do this mainly to cut down on the weight of the batteries.
        >
        > Apologies if this information is elsewhere.
        >
        > Many thanks,

        Sounds Like you want to build a FRED head.
        I think it is in Wilf's files. two versions of it, if I remember corectly.
        Or you can do the bare bones head, the Solarpowered smart head, wich is awesume, Hmmm, the list goes on and on..
        Jab

      • martynharris@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 8:04 AM
          A-ha!

          Thank you Jab for pointing me in the right direction, looks a bit technical but hey, it's all a learning experience. ;-)

          Nice bug by the way!
          Many thanks,

          Martyn.

          --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech" <jabmechtech@...> wrote:

          > --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "martynharris@" <martynharris@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys,
          > >
          > > I built the ol' headbot circuit over the weekend. I used a playstation 2 controller motor to make it move as the other motors I had were none responsive due to a lack of power from the bicore I suspect(though I'm still starting out).
          > >
          > > I bought a few 6.7V, 37x33mm solarcells from Solarbiotics and was wondering whether it was fairly simple to combine the symet and headbot designs to create a solarpowered headbot using a solar panel and some capacitors? I want to do this mainly to cut down on the weight of the batteries.
          > >
          > > Apologies if this information is elsewhere.
          > >
          > > Many thanks,
          > >

          > Sounds Like you want to build a FRED head.
          > I think it is in Wilf's files. two versions of it, if I remember corectly.
          > Or you can do the bare bones head, the Solarpowered smart head, wich is awesume, Hmmm, the list goes on and on..
          > Jab
          > > Martyn.

        • wrigter
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 12:15 PM
            Combining a headbot and symet is a great idea Martyn!

            There are some interesting angles to consider.

            A symet is a cross between a slider and a spinning top. WHen
            it fires, it spins a bit and then shoots off in a straight
            line, ending in another little
            spin. The drive comes from the small diameter motor spindle
            which has an effective wheel circumference of a few mils in
            contact with the floor and which provides sufficient torque
            to move the symet without using gears.

            A symet is designed to rest on the motor shaft/spindle and
            on one of (usually) three sides near its balance tipping
            point. A solar cell mounted on the top of the symet would be
            nearly horizontal and point nominally to an overhead light
            source. No need to adjust the solar cell angle in that case.

            In fact, a symet doesn't work very well with a side light
            source, unless the solar cell can be adjusted to point to
            the source. So when the symet stops moving, a side facing
            solar cell is left oriented in a random direction. Then, if
            necesary, the head circuit kicks in and adjusts the solar
            cell to point to the light source to speed up the charge
            cycle.

            With the right mechanical design, it may be possible to use
            the symet motor with short pops, to incrementally rotate the
            solar cell until it is pointed in the right direction and
            take a full charge followed by a long pop.

            Seen from a different perspective, a symet resting at a
            steep angle, with the solar cell on top actually pointing
            sideways, can function as a head by using the small diameter
            spindle drive instead of a gear motor to rotate the solar
            cell toward the offside light source.

            Let me know what combination you are considering and
            describe the present head circuit you are using. Note that
            the head circuit should consume little power during the main
            charging cycle after the head (solar cell) has be properly
            oriented.

            enjoy

            From: "martynharris@..." <martynharris@...>
            To: beam@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [beam] Re: Headbot
            Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:04:41 -0000

          • martynharris@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6 5:21 AM
              Hi Wilf,

              Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

              Thank you for the extra details. I'm afraid I'm just starting out, and I've only built the symet and the headbot, after which I was sitting there and wondering whether I could put the two together (in a rather child like fashion) ;-)

              I was looking at your very impressive smart head, and think this is the kind of circuit I want to use, i.e. I was looking for one where the headbot is completely solar powered, being powered by a similar circuit to the symet in order to avoid batteries and the additional weight they add to the bot.

              I like your idea though, with the reverse; a head bot mounted to a symet. Definitely food for thought. May be I could simply glue a small headbot to the symet and have it feed in to the motor of the symet?

              As an aside, the 74AC240 IC used for the head bot amplifiers/buffers the signal to strengthen it in order to power the motor, what stops me from using it as an audio amp like the LM346 or Op-amp? Or is it simply not built to handle this kind of input? (Should I raise this as a separate post?)

              Thank you Jab and Wilf for your help, I really enjoy sticking things together and seeing what comes out of it.

              All the best to you.

              Martyn

              --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, wrigter <wrigter@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >;-)
              > >
              > >Nice bug by the way!
              > >Many thanks,
              > >
              > >Martyn.
              > >

              > >--- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "jabmechtech"
              > >><jabmechtech@> wrote:
              > >> --- In beam@yahoogroups.com, "martynharris@"

              > >used a playstation 2 controller motor to make it move as
              > >the other motors I had were none responsive due to a lack
              > >of power from the bicore I suspect(though I'm still
              > >Solarbiotics and was wondering whether it was fairly simple
              > >to combine the symet and headbot designs to create a
              > >solarpowered headbot using a solar panel and some
              > >capacitors? I want to do this mainly to cut down on the

              > >> Sounds Like you want to build a FRED head.
              > >> I think it is in Wilf's files. two versions of it, if I
              > >> remember corectly. Or you can do the bare bones head, the
              > >Solarpowered smart head, wich is awesume, Hmmm, the list

            • wrigter
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6 10:10 AM
                No worries Martyn, if you don't mind me rambling on a bit.

                You raised some interesting questions:

                There are various ways of hybridizing a Symet with a
                Headbot. Just like genetic engineering, combining them may
                give the hybrid organism some kind of advantage. You can
                simply hot glue them together in such a way that the head
                changees the direction of Symet motion by shifting the
                center of gravity. A single solar cell can be used to power
                both circuits. The head circuit will use most power
                initially but once the head bot has aimed the solar panel at
                the light source, the head circuit uses little standby
                power. This allows the solar cell to fully charge up the
                storage cap and for the Symet to trigger.
                The two circuits should work as they are but some fine
                tuning may be needed make them work efficiently together.
                Make sense?